not so sure about this

Post  Willy on Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:12 pm

Willy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: not so sure about this

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:35 pm

That's a big animal for yotes to take down. But I guess it can be done. The PGC used to say coyotes are not a pack type animal like wolves are , well that's pure BS .
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  chukbuk on Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:03 am

I know they like mice, rabbits and other small game are hard to come by in the mountains where I hunt.  Deer are on their menu!  I don't know how successful they are but when I come across coyote tracks in the snow and follow them, they often are trailing deer tracks.  My opinion, based on tracking and hearing them yipping and communicating to each other, is that they work together like dogs on the loose chasing deer. They may not me capable of pulling down an adult deer but they can follow them endlessly until in a weak or starving state, the deer succumbs!  A severe winter can give the coyote the extra advantage.  
      So I wonder if they will eat CWD deer...does anyone know?  Would it have an effect on them?
chukbuk
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  Willy on Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:02 pm

Oh they defienetly are hunting in packs around here. They have figured out that if they can find a concentration of deer and harass them, this time of year there are usually a few that aren't 100% and that is what they go after.
I just don't see them going into a stable and taking down a grown horse.  First thing I thought when I read it was, its wolves and they just don't want to say it.
Willy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  BuckRubIL on Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:40 pm

Willy wrote:Oh they defienetly are hunting in packs around here. They have figured out that if they can find a concentration of deer and harass them, this time of year there are usually a few that aren't 100% and that is what they go after.
I just don't see them going into a stable and taking down a grown horse.  First thing I thought when I read it was, its wolves and they just don't want to say it.

That was my first thought as well Willy.  The coyotes around here won't even jack with a regular size house dog, so taking on a horse seems pretty out there to me.  5 - 6 coyotes would be under 250lbs and that's  5-6 BIG coyotes.  The only part of the story that seems right is the coyotes fleeing when confronted by the house dogs, I would think wolves would have killed the dogs as territorial as they are.  Although the owners may have come outside the same time the dogs got there in which case the fleeing makes sense for coyotes and wolves.
BuckRubIL
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:38 pm

Now way would I agree yotes  took  that horse down,ever!. Wolf. cougar  or a pack of  wild dogs yes!

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:47 pm

I have to wonder if it did happen if the horse wasn't really sick.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  G3 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:00 pm

No wolves have ever been seen that far south in this state. Highly doubt wolf kill or cat kill on this one.
G3
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Maniac Outdoors on Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:19 pm

This action happened in the county I live in, about 20 minutes from my home.  Really not sure what to make of it.
Maniac Outdoors
Admin
Admin

http://usahuntingpros.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum