What's the dumbest thing you did to get out in the deer woods?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What's the dumbest thing you did to get out in the deer woods?

Post  shedder on Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:51 pm

So what have you done in the name of hunting that makes you scratch your head and wonder if you are nuts or just like every other sole who has the love of nature in their blood?

My name is Matt and I think I may have a problem...A very good problem!!
I had a tumor in my neck that was making it hard for me to swallow a while back.  Come to find out it was overtaking my Thyroid so it all had to come out.  The problem was that it was right in the middle of shed season!
Out of the hospital 3 days after the surgery I went looking like this:

After being home for 2 days I Planned on hitting the woods for a short "walk" to look for sheds.  I quickly realized that I wasn't feeling up to that so I took a ride to my favorite place.  S&S Taxidermy to go look at all the antlers people brought in from the hunting season.  It was a great pick-me-up.  So I went home figuring I would try again tomorrow.
Day 3 came and on the road I went determined to hit the woods.  Again 1/2 way into the ride I realized I wasn't ready yet so I took another drive to S&S.  
Day 4, which was 1 week after my surgery I decided to try a closer farm for an ultra quick walk.  I really just wanted to make it to the woods.  I really didn't expect to search for sheds.  The walk in the woods was what I most yearned for...

I was feeling so alive to actually be out there!  My neck was so incredible hard!  You can see in the pick there are no wrinkles on my neck.  There was a reason for that!  It actually felt like cement and it was driving me freaking nuts!  ANYWAY ONE WEEK FROM SURGERY TO REMOVE THE TUMOR AND MY THYROID and all the lymph nodes in my neck...AND I'M OUT SHEDDING even though I had NO business being out there!!  
I MAY HAVE A PROBLEM!  cheers affraid

I tell you there was no problem on this day!  I have some pretty special finds over the years but on this day, 1 week after that surgery I found the MOST MEANINGFUL SHED IN MY LIFE!  Nothing about the shed is spectacular nor where it fell to the forest floor.  It barely belongs to a 100" buck but the meaning  of this guy runs far deeper!  In that very moment for just that very moment everything was OK!  

It was very fresh!  The hair was still on it!  I'm not sure if I would of went there the first day that the deer would of dropped that shed yet!  Its funny how fate plays a funny game...on this day I won the game!

Hi, My name is Shedder and I think I need some help! Anyone else need any help?

Last edited by shedder on Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:55 am; edited 6 times in total
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Re: What's the dumbest thing you did to get out in the deer woods?

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:39 am

I think we all need help. For myself , well I just don't think there is a person on the face of the earth that is qualified to fix me Very Happy Very Happy !!! After being in H'burg Saturday , Wednesday and once again Sunday , I know I definitely am lacking a few screws in my head !!! If nobody believes me , just ask good old Ralph & Vicki , they will tell you !!! I really want to get out for a walk in the woods , but I hate walking in crusted snow , and I want to cut some firewood out at the woodland property but not on crusted snow. I also have to tear down one blind ( that the stakes are frozen solid ) and one stand , but not in this crusted snow. I think the snow may be part of the problem, plus it doesn't help being outside in zero temps , that part I don't mind but the 30 mph winds just suck .
But yes Matt , a good day outside sure does help clear your head !!!!!!
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:30 pm

As long as the good Lord blesses me with being  able  to  walk out there, I will be out there. After that I will find someone  to push me. Nothing  better for the mind and soul than being out there.
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  chukbuk on Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:16 am

It's your passion for deer and the outdoors that keep you normal Matt and it also helped you return to normal so soon after your surgery!  Started to write I hope you are feeling better but I already know that by your pics!  For me, it is when I am in the woods that I feel most normal...it's also what keeps me from falling into the usual pitfalls that effect me when I am stuck indoors too long!

Dang, Rick....wish I was home last week to meet up,with you at the show!  Just returned from Texas after 12 days on the road.  More stories of my adventure to come soon!
chukbuk
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:36 am

Oh yeah this was a few years ago.  I'm way over it.  I just wondered what stupid things people did to get out in the deer woods when they had no business being out there.
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  chukbuk on Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:44 am

Well....more about my stupidity later but Friday and Sat I was 600 miles away searching the Smokie Mtns for sheds!  No luck but loved being there!
chukbuk
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:50 pm

A few  years back   before  I found out  I had  high blood pressure,  I felt horrible  but  still  had to get out side,   everyday  so many outting's   I would  just fall down while  out walking,  scared the  crap out of me,  but that did not stop me, Just shook it off, That summer when   Bob Larry and I were doing  stand work,    it happen in front of them,  and I honestly could not  climb a stand that or would they let me, Finally went to the Dr. and got on med's. Wink
  Actually this season  I had some health issue's  with my leg's goin numb, trust me  a few times  I  had to  crawl   through the top plot's  to just  get to  a ground blind to hunt.  Dr's still have not figure out what is causing that pain, 
 I just shake it off as Old age, I have always  told  Larry, when my day's are over,   he will  find me  resting somewhere  peacefully in  the great out doors, Hopefully he find's my body before the yote's do lol!

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:53 pm

I have done to many stupid things to even remember, just to get out there. I put off a neck surgery for over two months so I didnt miss turkey season. I skipped playing baseball a year in high school so I could look for sheds and turkey hunt. A few years back I went out deer hunting, I felt like I was dying, sick as a dog, and killed the biggest deer of my life. Lost who knows how many girlfriends over hunting. I almost quit a job once over not getting the week I had taken off for deer season. The list goes forever. There is just something in me that  thinks if I'm not out there I'm missing something.
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:01 pm

Barb you saying about Larry finding you made me laugh . I told Tina when I'm gone , she either gets me mounted in a standing position and puts me next to the bed or take my dead a$$ up in the mountains and toss me off the side somewhere. I figure I killed enough critters during my living days , well they may as well get to eat me when I'm dead  Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy !!!!!
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  chukbuk on Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:55 am

Years ago when I worked for a contractor, we did mostly roofing and siding and I just loved days when we would quit work early due to rain or snow.  That was because I'd rush to the woods on the way home to search for sheds often becoming soaked and near hypothermic!  My wife never could understand (mostly due to loss of income), why I wouldn't work in the rain but could play in it!
chukbuk
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum