I Really Don't Know How Our Turkeys are Making it...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I Really Don't Know How Our Turkeys are Making it...

Post  MEhunter on Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:43 am

I said in the other snow post that I wasn't really going to complain about the snow, but I just really am to the point that I don't know how the turkeys are going to make the winter. What deer we do have seem to be getting around OK because they snow is fluffy, but man I just can't imagine being a turkey right now. I haven't seen a bird in a month or so. The people I know that have seen some said they all seem to be just hanging out in the trees most of the day. I'm sure this deep snow helps insulate the deer on cold these cold windy nights (last night was -5 with sustained 25 mph winds, gusts up to 40-50 mph). I just don't know how a turkey can survive that cold night time weather night in and night out. Any bird that survives this winter is one tough SOB. Saturday I went up and checked on my cousins camp for him. These are 8 foot doors...

And here's a picture I took last night from inside my garage. I don't push the snow up against this window at all. This has just formed from the amount of snow and wind we've had.

MEhunter
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Re: I Really Don't Know How Our Turkeys are Making it...

Post  soil on Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:06 am

That would be fun for a day or two but I don't think I'd like it to stick around much longer than that! I've never really thought of the turkeys during winter because our winters aren't too snowy. It does seem like they have a tough time making it through your winters.
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:41 pm

Get ready!  These were our overnight lows last night.  Thats the actual low not the windchill.  You might be getting this tonight???
I thought Chad was the one who got the tuff winters...I see their scoring on sheds already!
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum