Praise the Lord

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Praise the Lord

Post  bowGal on Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:28 pm

A bill was up  for  Ill  to  pass a rifle season, this next year,  Just found out   this bill   has been pulled for  futher disscusion cheers cheers cheers
 I have always said the  day Il get's a  rifle season,  I am out here!

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Re: Praise the Lord

Post  soil on Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:38 pm

I don't understand why someone sponsors a rifle bill in Illinois every year or so. scratch
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:44 pm

Me either  Josh, Mad Mad
 I will say one thing, I  love this IWA group. Wink
  Did you go to the classic??,  I was sick and Larry worked  that  and  6inches of snow so we did not make, Saw a  cry out the other day  for everyone that was against this bill  to  call Haine's office ,  Wink From the sounds of it, I think the phone calls were over whelming cheers

Nikon
Hoyt Element
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:52 pm

I have to say Barb. I think opposing such a bill is over all a lot worse for the entire country than what it will do good for deer. A rifle season could be controlled to manage your deer properly. But adding this season would be a win for Americans and make the POS in the whitehouse cry.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  soil on Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:53 pm

How does Illinois adding a rifle season equate to a win for Americans?
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:45 pm

I agree with Vic.  Obviously rifles are not needed around Chicago.  In NY the rifle expansion is moving forward smoothly without problems.  Now there are just counties around major populations where rifles are not allowed for deer.  
I much prefer my 30:06 over ANY shotgun for deer in term of harvest proficiency and my comfort/confidence level in shooting as well.  I'm a better hunter when I am using a rifle it's simple.  What you carry does not change your intellect/compassion/gamesmenship or respect for the game you Pursue.  
As a bowhunter I don't take for granted the three months I get to spend in the woods with my bow compared to 2 weeks with my gun.  Knowing there are too many hating our time in the woods.
The segregation of hunting groups is devistating to the overall way we are looked upon.  It has to have a negative impact on ol capital hill.  Just look at the newest round ball .223 ban.  
A solid United foundation equates to an impenetrable fortress.
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:11 pm

soil wrote:How does Illinois adding a rifle season equate to a win for Americans?
Soil,with all the anti gunners out there, anything that puts any type of rifle in the field, home, vehicle or city to me is a win.
Just because Illinois would open a rifle season wouldn't mean that it would have to be done without good management.  I could be done in a way that wouldn't change harvest numbers. I'm sure though like anything else your DNR is all about the money

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:24 pm

Absolutely nothing wrong with a gun season. I haven't read up on it but I'm sure it would replace the shotgun season or just add rifle to it. No harm done. I know I would prefer to kill my deer with a rifle over a shotgun any day. Plus just like in Pa. , I'm sure they wold have a limit on where you can use one , just like around the Philly area here.
 Anytime it is taken away is one time the anti's get closer and closer to having their way !!!! Plus if your state had a brain , they would allow the use of archery equipement during any of the gun seasons you already have. Yes I will be the 1st to admit I hate most guys using crossbows , just because of their mentality of thinking they can shoot farther and farther. But I know guys who use them and I'm o.k. with that , because I know they practice like they should , not just wipe the dust off of it the night before the season !!
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  MEhunter on Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:37 pm

shedder wrote:What you carry does not change your intellect/compassion/gamesmenship or respect for the game you Pursue.  
Very well said!

MEhunter
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  soil on Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:01 pm

"Just because Illinois would open a rifle season wouldn't mean that it would have to be done without good management. I could be done in a way that wouldn't change harvest numbers."

this is one of my main concerns.  illinois' biggest problem right now according to most hunters, is that, combined with 2 years of ehd, we are OVERHARVESTING deer at an alarming rate.  the newly formed IWA has had to file for freedom of information acts just to get the real information out to the public.  our DNR has been misrepresenting it's goals and numbers in a bad way so that public perception continued to be that we have a severe overpopulation and need to continue to harvest as many does as possible to get it under control.  when, as the numbers prove, this is not the case at all.  we were slated for a "14%" reduction in numbers statewide and have had nearer a 44% reduction in some counties and they aren't even applying the brakes.  a rifle season would be extremely detrimental at this point in the process. 

"What you carry does not change your intellect/compassion/gamesmenship or respect for the game you Pursue."

i also agree with this.  i'm not trying to speak against a rifle season becuase i dislike gun hunting or gun hunters.  the weapon in your hand shouldn't change your character. 

my number one objection to a rifle season is a safety concern.  i'm not familiar with which states have/don't have a rifle season and what their terrain looks like.  with the exclusion of the shawnee national forest in deep southern illinois, we are a fairly wide open state.  few hills, lots of open crop ground with small patches of timber and fencerows.  we already have an abundance of hunters in these lightly timbered areas and i can't imagine what would happen with rifles added to this equation.

Last edited by soil on Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  wihunter24 on Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:29 pm

soil wrote:my number one objection to a rifle season is a safety concern.  i'm not familiar with which states have/don't have a rifle season and what their terrain looks like.  with the exclusion of the shawnee national forest in deep southern illinois, we are a fairly wide open state.  few hills, lots of open crop ground with small patches of timber and fencerows.  we already have an abundance of hunters in these lightly timbered areas and i can't imagine what would happen with rifles added to this equation.
  I guess for me it all comes down to what you're taught in hunter's safety, which is to know your target and what is beyond.  Yes there always idiots in every crowd and it wouldn't make a difference if you were using a slingshot, somebody is going to screw up.  

I obviously don't live in Illinois.  We've been able to use rifles as long as I've gun hunted.  When I first started hunting we had to use a shotgun the first 2 days, and the remaining 7 days of gun season we could use a rifle, if we chose to.  12 or 13 yrs ago, it passed that we could use a rifle for all 9 days of gun season, if we wanted to.  At least it did in my area- the county bordering us was shotgun or muzzleloader only up until this past year.  Over the years, out of all the deer I've shot with a rifle, every single one was within easy shotgun or muzzleloader range with the exception of 1.  Yes, the terrain full of steep hills and irregular shaped fields helps to get deer somewhat close.  At the same time, we've got some pretty decent sized open areas / large fields where its hard to get close to deer no matter what weapon you have.  I figure if someone is slinging bullets at a running deer several hundred yards away, it's probably not going to make a difference which version of a firearm they have in their hands, as they're going to be shooting no matter what.  I don't know Illinois' deer herd details or season structure all that well, but I have a hard time believing that the use of a rifle during a gun season is going to single handedly ruin the hunting in Illinois.  Most muzzleloaders these days are accurate to 200-250 yards.  How is that any different than a rifle?
wihunter24
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:53 pm

Amen  Josh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great reply , I do not mean this in a bad way, but  Our dnr   is killing our  deer herd, and  every time I   see a  post  from an  NR that  other coming here  for a week or so,  and claims  he or she had the  best hunt of their  life, kind of just really makes me  sick,
 Vic it has been  years since you have hunted  il, and no  I am not calling you out, just  using you as an  example Wink  That lease you had  back then was  every hunter's dream, Just like what  Pike county use to be when we lived there, 

Trust me Our  DNR has been lying to us for years on havest reports, and misleading everyone  how  hard  many counties in our state,  have actually been hit with  EHD, our local  new"s reported all last year that EHD   was not as  bad last year,  Well guess what I had  3 CPO's in my house  tell me  differently,, Especially in the Siloam  Springs area not  20 miles from us, Every outfitter in Pike   and  Adam were  begging for hunter's to book with them Il  is not what it use  to be, Trust - if the day comes that a  Gun is the only   weapon,   I  will  able to  use to prolong my  Hunting , I will  do it, Maybe Crying or Very sad

I could ramble on, but as of now   the only  good thing  about Il hunting is that we have never had  a rifle season,And if any of you had to   live next  to  our  surrounding  weekend  warrior's NR   gun hunter's  you would  understand

Nikon
Hoyt Element
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:08 pm

Barb I still don't see any harm in it , if they do it right. Truthfully if I were you , since you are , as of now strictly a bow hunter , I would want to fight to be able to use your weapon of choice during the gun seasons. Now no way am I an expert on your state , hell I have never been to it Very Happy !! But yes I still hear guys from my area saying just how awesome the hunting still is in spots. I will also say not one of those spots is in Adams or Pike county . I can however tell you my honest opinion, If I were to come hunt with you and Larry I would all but tell you right now it would be one of the best hunts of my life, even if I didn't take a single shot. It would be because of the numbers of deer I would see. That and the time spent with friends !
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  soil on Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:34 pm

i had this big reply all typed up ready to submit and i lost it reading your fresh posted comment, Rick! Sad

"I don't know Illinois' deer herd details or season structure all that well, but I have a hard time believing that the use of a rifle during a gun season is going to single handedly ruin the hunting in Illinois."

i'm not saying that rifles would single handedly ruin our hunting.  there are a host of factors that have already ruined this once great spot over the course of about 10 years.  our gun season is split into 3 sections.  we have first season which hits the rut well most years.  it's a 3 day weekend before thanksgiving.  then we have a second season which is 4 days at the end of the first week of december.  then we have a 14 day antlerless season at the end of the year.  i know that some of the current muzzleloaders on the market are approaching rifle results out to 250 yards.  i don't have the exact numbers, but i don't think a whole lot of guys use them compared to the amount that shoot a shotgun.  with the inclusion of a new rifle season, i'm sure we would gain hunter numbers as well as replace shotguns with rifles in many hunters hands.  i'm convinced that one season of rifle hunting really could be devastating to our already weakened numbers. 

barb, i spent about an hour talking with KC at the classic and the graphs he showed me on pike county were a real eye opener.  population of pike alone has dropped nearly 50% over a 10  year period.  the county has been 'below goal' for 3 straight years and the dnr is doing nothing.  there has been no decrease in the tags available, still unlimited antlerless bow tags, and still in the late season antlerless program.  once considered to be in the top 2 counties of the nation for quality whitetail hunting, i can't comprehend why the DNR has allowed this to happen.  i'm not sure when Vic hunted there, but i can assure you, things have changed!

i'm not saying you couldn't come to barbs farm, or another privately managed chunk, and see more deer than you see at home.  i'm blessed that this problem hasn't hit me as hard yet down here as it has up there.  we missed out on the '12 EHD outbreak and our numbers are still okay. (by 'okay' i mean my county is in the 15%-24% reduction zone)
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:49 pm

Sorry I ruined your big reply Very Happy !!! That's just the way I am , a pain in the a$$ Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy !! Just ask Barb , she had a pain in the rear buck and now a pain in the rear cat and guess who both are named after !!!!! But she still loves me cause I make her laugh and smile each time she needs it !!!!!
Oh and I'm sure I could enjoy a hunt with you also !!!
I do agree that Pike and Adams were both at one time the best of the best . Now they may be ranked just a little about chicago Very Happy Very Happy !!!!
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  chukbuk on Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:59 am

Ouch....hot topic!  I'm going to offer a comment from a different perspective.  If I have the fact that IL has never had a rifle season correct, the first thing that would trouble me if I lived there is that they are messing with a hunting tradition just to boost revenue or appease a comparatively small group.  It would stink for the longtime committed resident hunters to have the new pressures to their deer resource.
       I was a lifelong PA resident up until 3 years ago and I love the annual 2 week rifle season there.  It has been (and will continue to be), a huge part of my hunting life....even though I favor bowhunting over it.  I would never want to give up rifle season!  
       Now I feel qualified to comment on the other side of the arguement!  When my family moved to just over the border in NJ (I literally live on the border with PA...can see it across the river from my comfy chair by the fire!), it took me some time to get used to NJ hunting season without rifles!  NJ being densely populated and mostly flat, has not had rifle season in my lifetime that I remember.  I can say that I would be upset if a proposal to add a rifle season was discussed.  Can't really identify why other than that it would also mess with traditions that residents have grown up with and experienced all their lives. 
     Feels weird to straddle the fence on an issue!  Imagine sitting in your stand with a muzzleloader hunting deer and listening to rifle season in progress just across a small river!
chukbuk
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum