A little worried.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A little worried.

Post  Boss Gobbler on Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:19 pm

I went to the farm today hoping  to pick up a few sheds. I figured  with us having 14" of snow on the ground  for over  two  weeks  the deer would have a few highways cut through the farm.  I figured I could just walk those  highways and find some sheds.  When I got to the farm I found that there were almost no defined  trails, and the tracks were kinda scattered. This is really odd, even without  snow there is usually  trails beat down  to  the  mud.  Then I started seeing  these extremely  large  tracks.  The track is about 5 inches long  and  4 1/2 inches  wide.  It is way to large  for a coyote  and have never seen a dog with a paw this big. On top of that, the snow is kinda crusty,  I weigh 180, it will support  me for a minute  then I bust about 10" down. This track has the same depth of my tracks, even the deer tracks are only about 6 or 8 inches deep. Another thing I noticed  about the track is that there are no running tracks, but it has been across the farm for several  days. That is also strange because I thought if somehow  there was a dog that big that at some point it would be running  or at least  trotting. All the tracks are walking.  Name this track. In the picture  my hand print is in the snow next to the track.

[size=32]g][/size]
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Re: A little worried.

Post  soil on Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:31 pm

Interesting.....I don't have any knowledge of what it is but its kinda wild.
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:02 pm

Here is a little  better pic of the track there are claw marks at the end of each toe. Another strange thing I noticed  was there were no claw drag marks between  the  tracks.
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  Willy on Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:15 pm

these are cat tracks  the real mccoy
the first pic has my hand next to it . you look at yours and then compare
Willy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:35 pm

Willy wrote:these are cat tracks  the real mccoy the first pic has my hand next to it . you look at yours and then compare

Willy I have always heard that a cat will not leave claw marks when it walks. Is this true? Every print has claw marks in it. I also know though that when a dog walks in the snow it will leave drag lines between his tracks were his claws drag. These were just tracks with next to no drags. I by no means have any experience with anything like this, but when I first saw the tracks I got chills. Shocked Laughing
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  ridgerunner on Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:16 am

Here's a cat track I came across in Montana's Bob Marshall, 7 mag for comparison.  If you see any pattern to it's travel get a cam out there.

[img][/img]
ridgerunner
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  chukbuk on Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:18 am

Boy, I sure have to agree...I'm certainly not experienced with mountain lion tracks but they sure have that look about them!  Have you tried googling the news of the region to see if any reported sightings would confirm a cat is out there?  In my region every so often sightings pop up in the news and the suspicion is that someone released a captive cat.  
      Get a road kill out there with a trail cam!
chukbuk
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:31 am

chukbuk wrote:Boy, I sure have to agree...I'm certainly not experienced with mountain lion tracks but they sure have that look about them!  Have you tried googling the news of the region to see if any reported sightings would confirm a cat is out there?  In my region every so often sightings pop up in the news and the suspicion is that someone released a captive cat.  
      Get a road kill out there with a trail cam!

There was one shot by Fish and wildlife about 40 miles away in December.
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  chukbuk on Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:15 am

Wow....then I am on board with the evidence and drastic change in your deer behavior as proof you have a cat in the area!  Would you be allowed to shoot him?
chukbuk
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:47 am

chukbuk wrote:Wow....then I am on board with the evidence and drastic change in your deer behavior as proof you have a cat in the area!  Would you be allowed to shoot him?
 Yes he is considered a non native animal so they aren't protected. I'm contemplating  contacting  fish and wildlife. I'm hoping  the cam catches something.  He is moving at night because there were some tracks that were in tracks I had made the day before. It seems to be staying  on the part of the farm where  the feeder is. There are no tracks within 150 yards of the road or house.
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:23 am

Boss I would check it out before you shoot it and tell someone !! In Pa. we have " no mountain lions " Very Happy but if you shoot one you can get in trouble. Seems stupid , kinda like killing a bigfoot and getting in trouble but I had a warden tell me that if there is no hunting season for an animal , whether we have them or not , technically it is considered protected. Of course sometimes I think it depends on the warden !!!! Go get some pics , just stay away from rock out croppings , low tree limbs , you know , the regular hunting spots for a cat Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy to pounce on ya !!!!
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  chukbuk on Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:13 pm

Rick, there is a big rock ledge overhanging the trail into first gap that raises the hair on the back of my neck when I pass it in the early dawn or dusk on my return down the mountain!  That very thought is in my head as I pass beneath it!  
      5-6 years ago a guy I met in the woods who rides his horse all over the gap roads swore to me he had seen a mountain lion!  There is so much rugged country in the Tiadaghton forest, it would not surprise me!

Good luck Boss...can't wait to see pics!
chukbuk
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:43 pm

Like I said I'm no expert  or ever had an experience with anything  like this. The track is unbelievably large and does uncharacteristic things of animals in my area. One thing I do know is my deer and with 14" of snow on the ground for over 2 weeks they would have beat trails to the feeder and stayed close to it.  I have had dogs and a pack of coyotes on the farm and none of them  had an impact  on  the  deer like this. 

Rick if it is a mountain  lion  I'm screwed , the farm is really  thick, mostly  cedar thickets .  With the snow I assume  one could have moved in for the target rich environment.  Up to this point I was having  about 20 deer and 40 turkey visit the feeder daily.  As for shooting  it this was what I was told. 

Jeff,
Yes you can shoot it, and the reason is that it's considered a exotic [size=32]species. If you do shoot one let us know , because we would love to see [/size][size=32]the evidence..thanks and have a good day.[/size]

Rob Anderson 
Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife 
#1 Sportsman's Lane 
Frankfort, KY 40601 
1-800-852-0942 ext. 4438 
rob.anderson@ky.gov
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  ridgerunner on Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:54 pm

Boss, one thing you mentioned is that the claw marks are visible, can't really tell in your pics. What I've been told is you shouldn't see the claw marks with cats. But then I never clarified that this holds true in deep snow. I'm no expert either and IMO proof would be in a picture. Good luck getting one.
ridgerunner
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:42 pm

Boss  how far are you from Bourbon  Co.?  Read an article   earlier this winter one was killed in that  county  Dec 2014.

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:38 pm

bowGal wrote:Boss  how far are you from Bourbon  Co.?  Read an article   earlier this winter one was killed in that  county  Dec 2014.

It is 30-40 miles, only a county away.  I don't know much about  them but apparently  they travel pretty far. One was killed in Connecticut  that was traced back to the black hills of South  Dakota.  Hoping whatever  it is walks in front of the camera  this week. I have never seen one, but a couple years ago they trapped a black bear in my area, so it possible  for  critters  to end up here. I don't want to turn  into the local  "CAT" guy.  So hopefully  I  can turn up a pic to see what it is for 100%.
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:04 pm

If you got the OK to shoot it if you see it , I would be carrying a gun just in case !! I have talked with a few wardens and they all say , Pa. has no breeding lions , but we may have a few that found their way out of a private place.
I know they say a cat will not leave claw marks , well that's pure BS. We had a few tracks in front of a camera walking in loose soil with claw marks showing plain as day. Yes usually they won't but it does happen.
I guess you just never know how far an animal will travel , no matter what a so called expert says , if one wants to go for a long walk they will , Forest Gump did Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy !!!
Chuk I know quite a few spots that just have that look to them , where if I was in lion country I would be looking up, down and all around more than watching where I was going !!!!!
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCReW on Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:28 am

Sure sounds like a cat track!  Best of luck getting it figured out and taken care of asap.

TheCReW
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:04 pm

I had one of my big gobblers picked off from the feeder location. I was kinda excited  because I figured  what ever got it would be on my cam, and maybe I even caught  the whole thing as it went down. I found him just out of range of the camera. I didn't have one picture of any type of predators.

Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:38 am

That sucks , Boss,  did you find any sign of more cat track's in the snow?  or even fresh yote track's?

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:31 am

Yes Barb there were fox,coyote, and the unknown  track all around this area.
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum