NY is making BIG changes in the deer woods

View previous topic View next topic Go down

NY is making BIG changes in the deer woods

Post  shedder on Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:04 pm

WELL; 
It appears that planes were to implament for the New York hunting season of 2015.  It is looking like they are going to push this back to the season of 2016 for a "public comment period"  but not really sure if they are going to really listen since they were already going to try and put it into this year but ran out of time to put it into the hunting syllabus.  

NY will implement the following into the 2016 season if all the current buzz is correct:

1) 1 buck statewide limit per season.
2) Cutting the gun season in half in the souther zone and by one week in the Adirondack norther zone.
3) STATEWIDE antler restrictions for every season.  

These are the big 3.  
My concern is the cutting of gun season...I don't like it at all.  People don't get enough time in the woods then cut that time in half right out of the blocks!  I'm sure the price of a license will not be lowered...License sales have to drop.  I hope hunters dollars represent enough in the states eyes in the future!!

I'm telling you this last fall I saw zero for mature bucks!  Hunting or on trail cam!  Something is going on with the population.  Whether it is the winter weather from last year or what ever is affecting the mid-west is creeping east?  Its sort of nice to see NY being pro active especially with the monster winter we have had this year!  But I still wonder if they are looking deep enough into what their new laws could mean??  I'm wondering if this could end up being an open door for bad things in the future...
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Re: NY is making BIG changes in the deer woods

Post  soil on Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:27 pm

the surprising part to me is that those laws seem to protect/enhance bucks rather than does.  if the population is down, the typical management plan is to protect does to increase fawns in the following years thus growing the population.  the one buck limit and antler restrictions seem to indicate they are trying to increase the age of the buck population by protecting the younger bucks allowing them to grow older.

i would be all for both those changes in our state! 

what are you currently allowed per season for antlered deer?  (assuming per season means per year rather than per individual weapon seasons.......ie. bow season, rifle season, muzzleloader season?)
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:22 pm

We are allowed two bucks per year. There is no doubt in my mind that this is strictly a QDM measure. That part is exciting to me.o
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:20 pm

Matt, What kind of antler restrictions are they planning to implement? I like the sounds of it. I wish they would cut our gun season in half. If you have a decent buck to doe ratio and you want to increase the herd. Then IMO you need to cut the buck harvest as well as the doe harvest.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:54 pm

The DEC's goal is to limit the yearling buck take.  It's the 3 point per side rule they have implamented over in the counties surrounding Weschester for several years. I guess their hope being three visible points would equate to a 4th point being the brow tine when the buck is standing broad side.

I don't know if I agree with that thinking...save an inferior spike or fork horn but kill a young 8.
I would like to see a spread limit if anything but there are flaws in that theory as well. 
Well there are flaws in any way you go with but I guess the way to look at it is they look to be doing something.

I don't know if I like the idea of an 8 or 9 day season...sometimes it has to be about getting outdoors for people?? 
Where do you draw the line?  I have my bow but many don't...
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:01 pm

Matt I just read today in Pa. Outdoor News a short letter an old guy wrote ( as one of the 70 year olds some younger hunter was complaining about in a previous letter to the editor ) and I have to agree 100% with his words.
He wrote , " For that young fellow, we went to school and worked jobs as well. The difference between the writer and most of the folks of my generation is that we made the time to spend in the woods . Our vacation time from work nearly always was scheduled for deer season . "
I have heard the no time complaint too many times , usually coming from a guy who only hunts rifle season. So pick up a bow , muzzleloader and make more time to hunt. But I don't like the idea of taking time away .
I will say the 3 point to a side works , the proof is in the photos of some really nice bucks taken the last few years. But an easy solution just is not there . You can't make everyone happy . Saying a spike or forkhorn is inferior , well you have to start somewhere to try and get bucks older . I myself could really give a crap about a huge buck , yes it would be nice but I would rather shoot a 175 pound deer as a 2-1/2 or 3-1/2 year old over a yearling spike that is only 120 pounds. Which also means an older buck with a better chance of growing some good antlers.
As far as doe , I would love to see Pa. go back to counties over large units that can be so different in deer numbers.
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  ridgerunner on Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:45 am

You know what I think, if you are going to cut gun season in half they should also do the same to bow and muzzle seasons.  What's fair is fair. Although I don't believe reducing any hunting oppotunities is the way to go.
ridgerunner
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:34 am

Rick,
That's the point bro.  So we expect hunters to use up all their "family" vacation time just to make sure they have that time to hunt?  I'm sure that would go over real nice with the ten of thousands of families wishing they could be going some where on a family vacation over summer but good ol Dad had to use up his vaca time to make sure he got those days to hunt.
We also have to look past the immediate here.  How does an 8 or 9 day season do anything to get a kid hooked on deer hunting?  So they get one weekend to hunt deer?  
What happens if their sports team has a game? Does he tell the coach sorry I'm hunting?  Will the coach say sorry miss for hunting and come back to the bench... 
Is one weekend enough to grow a love, 
Wet the whistle,
Or just enough to frustrate???
I haven't typically been one to look at deer and hunting as mine but a treasure to enjoy and pass on...
What good is it if there is no interest behind us to pass it on to?  That's why I hope they look deeper than just making a buck bigger for me to shoot at in 3 years.
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:37 pm

I guess if you only get 1 week of vacation, well its time to choose. I used to get 2 weeks , one I took in july for family time and the 2nd I took the 2nd week of gun season. Same goes for the kids , do you want to hunt or play sports. Its a choice they need to make , yes it sucks but that's the way life is , not everything can be made to run with or around your off time or schedule . My kids did it and they only had the gun opener and the 2nd day ( which we called them off school ) to hunt. Their sports took up their afternoon time due to practice and Saturday was match day.
I hate to say it but a lot of kids these days have no interest in sitting in the woods all day , its much nicer to be at home , sitting on the couch playing with their phones !!!! Its funny you mention the coach , because my oldest son was wrestling , the coach gave them the 1st day of gun season off , he then said if you miss any practice because you are hunting , well don't bother coming back. Once again , theres that tough decision they have to make. Just like taking a vacation, whats that ?? I have had 1 week off since 2000 !!!! Actually it was 9 days to go to Disney. Other than that all I have seen was 2 days for a weekend get away .
About all we can do to get kids into hunting is to continue doing what we already are , get them in the woods at an early age , even if its just to tag along , before they get into the "couch potato " way of life Very Happy Very Happy !!! After that , all we can do is hope and pray they choose the outdoors over the couch !
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCReW on Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:19 am

Good to see they are being proactive, but always hate to see anything that means less time in the woods!  Hope it works out for the best Matt.

TheCReW
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum