Not what I was wanting to find, for sure

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Not what I was wanting to find, for sure

Post  Willy on Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:40 am

I couldn't stand being stuck in the house this past weekend. I still have a thigh full of stitches , not supposed to be doing anything but resting, but I just don't do couch potato well at all. So against the extremely high pitched and loud objections of the wife I headed up to the farm. Promised I wouldn't do any walking, just ride around on the golf cart. 
I managed to find a few sheds, nothing big, none of the bucks I was hoping to find, but that is usually how it goes when i just look in the wheat.
My Alfalfa field I put in last year is starting to show fresh growth right at the soil and it was obvious the deer have been hitting it so I took the cart over there to look it over.  I noticed what at first I thought was a rack in the woods just off the field, when I drove closer I could tell it was a rib cage.  My first dead one of the year.  It was a really nice 8 point that showed up on us in october, I figured he was a 4 year old, mid 140s. Sad loss for sure, he would have been a super 8 this year no doubt. 

Here is where I went from disappointed to pissed off. I was going to take the skull back to the house , it was still connected to the skeleton so I twisted it off.  Most of the hide was still connected to it  from under neath his chin, I was going to cut that off. I took the skull and put it nose down so I could get at the hide and this is what I saw, look close you will see something that dosent belong

I couldnt believe what I was seeing

I reached in to try and remove it, it was stuck but it pulled free, 

what was stuck was the broke end of the shaft, it was lodged in the bone of the deers nose

you can see the entrance hole. It was angled down, like a shot from a tree stand.  The broad head didnt make it into the esaphagus, it was in the sinus chambers. So the deer probably lived quite a while before either dying of starvation or infection. 

I have to ask, WHAT THE F @@@ ?   No excuses at all. The angle tells me the deer had to be facing the guy who shot. With today's equipment no way did the buck turn after the shot, he had to facing the person. 

A certain Hunting Real Estate company from the great State of Illinois is now hunting the property next door to us. I placed a call this morning to try and find out if any of their bow hunters that were over there this past year had lost a buck. The person I talked with wasn't sure. They said they would check, asked if I could tell them how big a buck it was, I just said, you got to be kidding right ? I said if you find out you do, have them call me direct and I will talk to them about it. If by chance they see this, you can have your deer when you convice me this was an honest mistake and not just a stupid hail mary shot
Willy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Not what I was wanting to find, for sure

Post  BuckRubIL on Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:13 pm

Ouch, my guess is they don't return your call...  They are sponsored by a different broadhead company for the TV show, but that doesn't mean it wasn't one of their buddy's.  Sure does blow my mind though that someone would take a shot like that on an animal, you'll have to keep us posed if you find out anything more on this!
BuckRubIL
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  soil on Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:55 pm

It's sickening that people take head shots at deer. There was a person that posted a headshot bow kill pic of a doe on North American whitetail app a couple years ago. Claimed it was the best way to not waste any meat.
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:37 pm

Whether or not the person made a poor shot choice or just had bad luck at the shot, it sucks either way. We all hate to see it. The only good thing for you Willy, is that at least you know that you will have plenty of studs still on your hit list next year. If I lose a buck like that around here. It puts a serious hurting on the hit list. As for the shot that was taken, it was likely someone who just got overly excited and used poor judgment, but it's also very possible that someone flinched really bad or that they hit one of those invisible limbs.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  impactarcher on Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:23 pm

Stupid, stupid, stupid

impactarcher
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:09 pm

impactarcher wrote:Stupid, stupid, stupid
x's 2
 What  a shame  Willy, but  I just loved how the  most important question the guy wanted to ask was  How big of buck was it?????? I pitty you and  anyone else that has land that  butt's up to any one  from Il,  that is a  H.R.E.  Company or Outiftter.  They have done killed off our state's  herd, Mad Crying or Very sad, and seem to all be moving more and  into  Kansas and Iowa,

What makes me  sick  is   since  I have been on  FB it is amazing  when I  check  out huning friends and site's,  People brag about shooting deer in the head,  some even think it is the most ethical shot to take.
 Insane  the way some of today's hunter's think,

Oh and one last thing,   I take you did not follow your Wife's and doctor's order's this weekend,  Shame on you  bud!!!!!!!!!

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  chukbuk on Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:39 pm

Sad way to die, sorry!  Giving the hunter a slight benefit of the doubt...that it was a mistake, it appears they used really bad judgement on the shot angle.  I'm disappointed from time to time by hunters who brag about risky shots and casually talk of wounding deer.  
      Hey I hope you take care of yourself Willy and heal up!  Can't say I'd be handling being cooped up like that either though !
chukbuk
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCReW on Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:47 am

Sorry to see that Willy, shots like that give all hunters a bad name and no animal deserves that. I hope it was an honest mistake and not a hail Mary or a attempted head shot. Things happen and bad shots happen but there are also some dummies who should not be allowed to hunt and they make these types of shots.

TheCReW
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:08 pm

That sucks Willy. I would say it looks like somebody tried to take a head on chest shot and missed badly. I have heard way too many guys talk about taking a head or neck shot. Yes a head shot ( with a gun only ) is a kill shot that will not ruin any meat but just like a neck shot , there is too much room for error.
I bet you will never get a return phonecall !!!!!!!
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:58 am

I don't know Willy that sure does suck when you find one like that!  Even more when it's due to your arrow like mine a few years ago!  I would been thinking the same way as you until my own own experience with a point blank shot on a 150 class 10 point that rose up onto his hind legs just before I touched my release!  Turned an easy shot into a fruitless 4 day search that questioned my ethical ability to be in the deer woods...
Call me a hopeless outdoor romantic but I have to believe there are way more good than bad in our woods.  After what happened to me, I NEED to hope it has to be some misfortunate movement by the buck at that last minute...
It's great to see you out in the woods!! Continued quick recovery to you!!!
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum