Has anyone here ever taken a trapping safety course?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Has anyone here ever taken a trapping safety course?

Post  bowGal on Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:23 pm

Just wandered what the course  consisted of,  Sound's like it will be regired for all first time trappers   in Il this year, So if we finally get  a season this  year, I will have to take the course if  I want to try and capture one of our many  bobcat's

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone here ever taken a trapping safety course?

Post  impactarcher on Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:18 pm

Lol No!

Here's the only thing you need to know.  Don't get your fingers stuck in the trap  Very Happy

impactarcher
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:34 pm

PA has it as part of their hunter trapper education. I don't know that there's a lot of safety issues as much as rules and regulations. Also PA has a cable restraint course for everyone who want to use them. But when if comes to safety, it's pretty much like Steve said. Don't get your fingers inside the jaws.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:29 pm

impactarcher wrote:Lol No!

Here's the only thing you need to know.  Don't get your fingers stuck in the trap  Very Happy
 Thank "s  for  that  important  and VERY  informantional reply, Steven Rolling Eyes
 Il has an 8hr class, but also found    out on the  DNR web page  you can do the class on line, Wink I will go that route, Wink
 My  buddy Adam is a big   trapper and also  on the  Il  Trapper's  Ass. councel, Hopefully  we  get our season  this year,   I have no doubt he  will  supply me with  with all the help in set up's  and   the trap's  I will  need , 
 I so want that  one big bad boy  I  got on the camera this year,  for a mount,  LOL and Adam can have any of the other one's running around here,, I won't  talk to him again until  next week, but  he seem's to think   we will finally get a season later this year cheers

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCReW on Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:27 pm

We have to take them in order to trap anything anywhere so I took one but it was probably 12 years ago. It was one day on the regs, rules and actually had lots of good info on how to setup, what to use, etc.

TheCReW
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:58 pm

I agree , keep your fingers out !! Not that most traps will take your fingers off or anything , but you will definitely be doing some cussing when they close on your fingers on a nice cold morning !!
Take the course and learn , sad to say that when our new hunters take their hunter safety course rarely have I seen them teach a thing about trapping. Lucky if it even gets mentioned Very Happy Very Happy !!!
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:50 am

A looooooong time ago.  About the only thing I remember is he kept drilling that we have to tag our traps! Time to refresh I guess.
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:45 pm

Pa. Bowhunter wrote: sad to say that when our new hunters take their hunter safety course rarely have I seen them teach a thing about trapping. Lucky if it even gets mentioned Very Happy Very Happy !!!
Rick where are you going for these courses? There's an entire section in the book on it and they go over it as much as anything else.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:33 am

Vic I went to 3 , with each of my kids. Not once did they go over much trapping. The 1st time , back in 2002 they talked about trapping , for about 2 minutes. Sad to say our kids that are taking these courses , most of them only run 2 days , sometimes 3 depending on what days they are held , are not learning a thing , basically just what they need to know to pass the test. When I took mine we learned about everything , even stuff not covered in the test. But I also took mine in school , as part of our social studies ( history ) course. I really wish they would go back to doing it that way , but then we would get all the idiot parents who would say its a waste of time because their family doesn't hunt.
And since you asked , the kids and I ( I took my test over in 2007 with Kasey ) went to the Union County Sportsman Club.
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum