In City Slicker Fashion...Today I found my smile!!! Pics are up :)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

In City Slicker Fashion...Today I found my smile!!! Pics are up :)

Post  shedder on Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:41 pm

I checked out the most amazing property today!!  I can't begin to tell you how absolutely incredible of a day I had!!!  This property has a gorgeous large wildlife pond and the waterfowl I saw today was incredible!!

I witnessed a flock of wild Trumpeter Swans! At least I think they were?? 

I can't wait to take Big L and Little L fishing!! 

I found crazy deer sign with stupid amounts of huge beds!  I found a nice 4 point shed right in one of those huge beds!!  

The creeks that filter into this beautiful pond are amazing and just scream Bear!!  There is going to be so much animal life in those deep channels...I can't wait to teach the boys the ins and outs of a good channel setup! 

I even saw two sets of Bald Eagles!!! 

I was coming out of the wood lot to a field edge and I already had my camcorder running just recording the layout of the land when I spotted what I thought was a Bald Eagle!!  Unmistakable!  I propped myself under a big tree on the field edge and just kept recording as multiple Eagles kept circling around me!!  I got pics of one resting in a tree! 
You really don't see this in Western NY like this!!  

Thats so not normal around here!!  So I head out to the car but figure I better mark where the Eagles are on my GPS...as I turn around it becomes very evident why they were circling around me!  The tree I was standing under had a GIANT EAGLES NEST IN THE TOP!!!  Amazing I picked that tree to walk under!!!  

Oh I almost forgot, earlier in the day while I was recording myself at the fields edge overlooking the pond...I'm gibbering away about the wondrous day I've had so far and out pops a gorgeous Red Fox running out in the middle of the field that I'm standing along side of!!  My video camera was already on because I was doing a little preroll...Perfect timing as I popped the camera around and found the running fox in the view finder.  Once I did I let out a Fawn Distress call with my mouth and it stopped him dead in his tracks!!  All on video...and I stopped him three times in all!!

Pics will have to do for know its been a long day!  
I got everything on video today!!  Today I found my smile!!!

Last edited by shedder on Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:31 pm; edited 3 times in total
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Re: In City Slicker Fashion...Today I found my smile!!! Pics are up :)

Post  soil on Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:24 pm

pics or it didn't happen!  no, all kidding aside, it's moments like those that make me so glad that i grew up in a place where the outdoors was just that, right outside our doors.  i don't know why everyone doesn't get out in nature for a little R and R every now and then.
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:04 pm

soil wrote:pics or it didn't happen!  no, all kidding aside, it's moments like those that make me so glad that i grew up in a place where the outdoors was just that, right outside our doors.  i don't know why everyone doesn't get out in nature for a little R and R every now and then.
I know I was having trouble with the computer loading them up...Pics and video will come I promise but it'll be a pic heavy post lol!
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:01 pm

Tally list:
1) Found a shed
2) 4 Bald Eagles
3) Bald Eagle nest
4) Got video of a beautiful Red Fox running in a snow covered cut corn field and brought him to a stop 3 times with my voice mimicing a fawn distress.
5) Multiple pics of a flock of what I believe is a flock of Trumpeter Swans
6) Video of that flock taking off and flying around me
7) Several species of Ducks and Canadian Geese
Cool Found GIANT beds all over the place!!
9) Apple trees all around the pond!
The best part is the owner is leasing out his fields to a farmer for crops.  So he doesn't feel the need to charge me for the fields only the timber and brushy areas cheers 
I still have sole recreation rights on the entire property...
$8 and change per acre on the day I just had.  This property is on hold for me sunnysunnysunny
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:33 am

Look's like  you found  Heaven,  great pic's Matt, and very nice  shed

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  chukbuk on Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:41 am

Put yesterday on the list of days to help you through the tough ones!  When I recognized I'm having a really crappy day, I remind myself of one off my list...it helps!

Though I'm not exactly sure what it is, I know there is a law regarding how close you can get to an active eagle nest...FYI, I'm not going to rat you out!

Cool stuff Matt, thanks!
chukbuk
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:23 am

The chukbuk wrote:Put yesterday on the list of days to help you through the tough ones!  When I recognized I'm having a really crappy day, I remind myself of one off my list...it helps!

Though I'm not exactly sure what it is, I know there is a law regarding how close you can get to an active eagle nest...FYI, I'm not going to rat you out!

Cool stuff Matt, thanks!
That's very good info on the Nest. There is only about 70 acres timber out of the 180 with about 50 in water and the rest crops.  What makes me lery is I'm pretty sure there were 4 Eagles circling around.  Could there be another nest?  It'll be good to look into this today before we finalize to make sure I know how much of that area will be affected.

Thanks Barb! It sure did feel like I got a glimpse of his kingdom yesterday!  That shed, as crazy as I am for looking for them almost was...not an afterthought but with the incredible sequence of picturesque serene events I got to melt into yesterday...my normal stir crazy butterfly holy #!*% there's a shed outlook has even took a step aside to the overall experience this place allowed me to have even if for just one day!
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:49 am

I called around and asked questions about the a buffer zone around active Bald Eagle nests.  My first answer I received was there are no buffer zones...
Call number two, and was told our eagle guy just retired but I know there are safety zones around Eagle nests up to 5 years after they are abandoned.... So which am I suppose to believe scratch scratch   
I'm waiting for a call from the next regions eagle expert as she has taken over our area as well...So I'm sort of stuck on what this buffer zone is and if its real or not.

So I research it myself and after a 40 page PDF report for 2014 it appears NY follows the Federal guidelines of 330' primary and 660' secondary radius around an active nest thru 5 years following its abandonment.  They say nothing about Mandatory or Voluntary.  When I go on the federal site it says the 330'/660' buffer zones are linked up to the voluntary precautions. scratch scratch  So in typical wildlife matter; I have two completely different answers and a 48 page report that does not clearly state its stance... scratchscratch
You wonder why good people end up in bad situations with wildlife laws... jocolorHuntinggeek
Too much gray area and honest people who seek out information are given totally opposite answers with in 10 minutes affraid

Last edited by shedder on Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  soil on Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:51 am

Great pictures!
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  MEhunter on Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:22 am

Sounds like an awesome trek of land!! Nice pictures and congrats on the score.

MEhunter
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:56 am

Heres a quick video of my surprise run in with Mr Fox...

shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Maniac Outdoors on Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:35 pm

A little bit of Heaven for sure, Great pics Matt.
Maniac Outdoors
Admin
Admin

http://usahuntingpros.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:10 pm

Here is one of the many Eagle clips I got!

shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:05 pm

Looks like a nice place to get lost and find yourself once again !!! I have also been lucky to see a few eagles the last couple of years. They are making a great comeback in the area and the PGC even has a camera on a nest outside of Hanover, and the eggs should be hatching this week , well that's what they say at least !!
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Laura on Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:53 am

You don't know how jealous I am of you! I would kill to be that close to a Bald Eagle nest and to be able to see them that close! So, so cool!
Laura
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:32 am

Laura wrote:You don't know how jealous I am of you! I would kill to be that close to a Bald Eagle nest and to be able to see them that close! So, so cool!
There will be lots more to come!  I just submitted my amendments to the contract on what I'm hoping to be the most all around rewarding property I have ever set foot on.  It just gets better...it includes a campsite with electric and when I looked on the tax maps it it says it has water and sewer to go with that elec even thou there are no buildings on the property...If that is real. I'm going for a 10 year lease!!

105 acres woods and water
75   acres in crops 
If there was just a bit more big timber it would be perfect!  Then I would never have had this opportunity either...I would not have been able to afford it nor would it have been available.   cyclops cyclops
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Laura on Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:48 am

shedder wrote:
Laura wrote:You don't know how jealous I am of you! I would kill to be that close to a Bald Eagle nest and to be able to see them that close! So, so cool!
There will be lots more to come!  I just submitted my amendments to the contract on what I'm hoping to be the most all around rewarding property I have ever set foot on.  It just gets better...it includes a campsite with electric and when I looked on the tax maps it it says it has water and sewer to go with that elec even thou there are no buildings on the property...If that is real. I'm going for a 10 year lease!!

105 acres woods and water
75   acres in crops 
If there was just a bit more big timber it would be perfect!  Then I would never have had this opportunity either...I would not have been able to afford it nor would it have been available.   cyclops cyclops

Best of luck securing the lease! I would definitely get it for as long as you can!
Laura
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  BuckslayerNY13 on Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:20 pm

Sounds like an amazing day!!! Great find!!
BuckslayerNY13
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCReW on Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:24 pm

Great pics and write up!  Looks like an amazing property, thanks for sharing!

TheCReW
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:12 pm

I'm down in Florida enjoying a beautiful family vacation.  Lots of amazing fishing action with the Logan and Landen both bringing in some great King Fish and Spanish Mackerel on video! Saw some giant GIANT TARPON and Snook!  I'm loving my under water camera!  
New post in the fishing section this weekend when we get home.

I got a call from the lease manager for my City Slicker Lease.  I had asked him about camping and the use of the electric and camping...I knew it was too good to be true SadSad 
I just lost my smile!  
The lease manager tells me the property owner drops a bomb on him saying he leases a small lot out on the property as a "camping lease"
My smile is Gone!!  I tell the guy, he's got his fingers in too many pots for this to have any chance of working out!!
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:38 am

Google maps just updated their aerials for this year. Last night I was looking at my City Slicker lease and found something.  

Does this pic look like nothing but trouble to you??  
The land owner leases out a "small lot for camping." 
3 campers and ATV tracks all thru that field...

So would you walk away and start looking elsewhere... Pending if I can not get the camping part of the lease as 
well?
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:50 am

Matt I would say with the luck you have , I would lean towards buying your own property. Yes it will cost more but at least it would be yours.
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:00 am

Rick, I would love to do that but thats not in the cards.

I'll add aerials of the property so you can get a gist of the surrounding land...

*The total lease is 190 acres 
*It sets up about 1/2 crops with remainder in good portions of timber/brush/water.  
*I'm being charged for only the timber brush and water as part of my lease but will have complete "exclusive hunting" access
*I've got a good foundation going on negotiations and feel the price per acre may be close to $7.50...
*I had that great day a few weeks ago and found the shed, those huge beds, the Eagles nest...the running Fox...all that fishing
BUT IN THE END I was banking on this being a weekend type retreat.  With out the ability to put up a camper or portable cabin is bothersome.
This RV PARK with the ATV trails going thru that field makes me wonder if any of it is worth it at all?  I need some advice!  
What would you do???
here are the pics look them over

I know those campers will affect deer movement...do you think this looks like too much of a hassle or still to nice of a deal to pass up??
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum