Game Room Project

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Game Room Project

Post  MEhunter on Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:46 am

I bought a new house back in early December. One of the selling points on the house for me was that I could envision half of the down stairs being a pretty sweet game room. The house is essentially a four bay garage with living space on the top. The guy who had it before me was big with  working on cars. Since I'm not into cars I figured if I didn't do something with the one side I would just make a mess of the garage and fill it with junk. I got all the wood for walls immediately and  stained them up over the winter. My good friend finally got some slow time at work so he was able to help me, or more like i was able to help him get everything up and built. I wish i had more pictures of it at the start, but we finally got it to a point where we aren't cutting any more boards or making a dusty mess so I've been able to put up a couple animals. Moose, bear, and a few turkeys left to put up, but here's a few pictures of the process along the way.

First wall up

3 walls done and bar base started. I'm going to end up pulling the garage doors out this summer, finishing the front off, and putting in a chimney.

And these next series of pictures are all of the bar build. The bar top wood is from an old nursing home that was built back in the 1940s. My buddy just bought it to tare down and turn it into apartments. They took all the boards down and re-planed them for future projects. He figured it would make a nice looking bar top and i think he was right.

Plywood laid and getting ready to start the top..

Had to rip all the boards down to 3 inches first to make the herring bone pattern match.

After we ripped them down to 3 inches i started cutting this pile up into 14 inch long pieces

Starting to take shape...

After got the top the top down we cut 3 incches off the edge all around

Trimmed in the edge and routed the edge

Put the face board all around next..

Close up of the pattern before epoxy

Epoxy was next. Going to put one more coat on to really try and seal up some of the remaining gaps...

First couple animals have made the wall. Going to acid stain the concrete this coming weekend and then it's pretty much done until we start garage door wall later this summer.

MEhunter
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Re: Game Room Project

Post  soil on Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:27 am

That looks like it's gonna make a great game room. The bar and top are awesome.
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  nyhunter20 on Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:45 am

That looks awesome. Nice job
nyhunter20
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  Willy on Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:58 am

Wow Shocked

That is some great looking work. What kind of wood is on the walls ?   That is going to be a great looking room for sure.  Wow.  great stuff.
Willy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MEhunter on Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:29 pm

Thanks guys!

Willy, the walls are just standard shiplap pine that I stained with MinWax early American. The bar top is southern yellow pine also stained with the same color.

MEhunter
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:59 pm

That is absoultey  Beautiful Dave   !!!   ? is that a rounded wall in that  first photo? and  if so how did you  get the  wood to  bend/ what  kind of wood is it  and was is soaked in water in order to  get it to bend,??
 That  bar is  goregous!, Nice work guy's/
   LOl I was just talking about you yesterday to Larry , when we were watching Northwood's Law

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  MEhunter on Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:44 pm

bowGal wrote:That is absoultey  Beautiful Dave   !!!   ? is that a rounded wall in that  first photo? and  if so how did you  get the  wood to  bend/ what  kind of wood is it  and was is soaked in water in order to  get it to bend,??
   LOl I was just talking about you yesterday to Larry , when we were watching Northwood's Law
The wood isn't rounded it's just a panoramic photo that makes it look kind of like it is rounded. Ahhhh Northwoods Law, kind of a love hate relationship with that show. I feel sometimes they really make outdoorsmen in general look bad. I understand the negativity or rule breaking is what drives people to watch it, but I think in turn it causes a vast amount of people to think we are all criminals and liars. Some of the way they approach situations and automatically infer that they think someone is breaking a law drives me nuts. I was behind the camera almost a year ago from now when we were out rabbit hunting, but since none of us were breaking the law or doing anything wrong the footage wasn't very exciting and therefore not used. I did like the moose episode last night before the new one though. Also, not sure if you caught the episode where the dog attacked the fawn, but that was in my home town.

MEhunter
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:48 pm

Awesome work Dave !! Now the BIG ??? , when is the bar open ??? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I love the wood , mainly because it is not perfect !! I sometimes hate seeing wood going down and it has zero character to it. My wife has been wanting a bar , and we have gone thru so many ideas , all I know is it will be made from black walnut and cherry that is around the house.

The thing I like watching with Northwoods Law , is how the people act when they get caught. Like the guy at the garage who shot the moose with a resident tag when he lives in Canada. But yes , they need to show more hunters getting checked that are legal !! Of course that doesn't make good tv.
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:22 pm

MEhunter wrote:
bowGal wrote:That is absoultey  Beautiful Dave   !!!   ? is that a rounded wall in that  first photo? and  if so how did you  get the  wood to  bend/ what  kind of wood is it  and was is soaked in water in order to  get it to bend,??
The wood isn't rounded it's just a panoramic photo that makes it look kind of like it is rounded. Ahhhh Northwoods Law, kind of a love hate relationship with that show. I feel sometimes they really make outdoorsmen in general look bad. I understand the negativity or rule breaking is what drives people to watch it, but I think in turn it causes a vast amount of people to think we are all criminals and liars. Some of the way they approach situations and automatically infer that they think someone is breaking a law drives me nuts. I was behind the camera almost a year ago from now when we were out rabbit hunting, but since none of us were breaking the law or doing anything wrong the footage wasn't very exciting and therefore not used. I did like the moose episode last night before the new one though. Also, not sure if you caught the episode where the dog attacked the fawn, but that was in my home town.
 Dave,  We actually love that show, I  Wish  our   DNR cared as much as yours does. We were watching a few  episodes about the  Moose,  LOL  Ya there were a few hunter's   on a couple episodes that I would of  loved to    smack, but  heck  we  have  those  same idiot's  here, All in all    I  personally   just   love the  show and  seeing  section's/area's of  your beautiful  state, I was telling Larry about the  time you posted  photo's of the   Moose tick's, and then we watched the one with the   moose taken down that had brain worms,  we saw that in  Pike with a  deer, Hell our dnr did not even know what was  wrong with it   nor did they take the time to test it,  They just shot it, then   asked us if we could bury  it. Crying or Very sad  and off they went,

Nikon
Hoyt Element
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  BuckRubIL on Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:43 am

Looks awesome Dave!  I'm sure a lot of stories will be told and a lot of beer will be drank around that bar over the years.  Cheers!   Can't wait to see your moose hung up in there as well!
BuckRubIL
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  MEhunter on Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:09 pm

Pa. Bowhunter wrote:

The thing I like watching with Northwoods Law , is how the people act when they get caught. Like the guy at the garage who shot the moose with a resident tag when he lives in Canada. But yes , they need to show more hunters getting checked that are legal !! Of course that doesn't make good tv.

Yeah that cracked me up. We have moose hunted the area extensively where that guy was so it was neat to see the familiar places and faces. I love some of the guys reactions as well. Some just give everything right up and freak out. It might sound bad, but I enjoy seeing how some guys handle the law when being confronted.

Barb, the real scary part about the ticks is our DNR has absolutely 0 clue about what to do about the ticks. I could go on for a longggg time about my opinion about how things are going, but it's pretty scary to see. Across the border in NH they have almost completely shut the moose hunt down. I think one of the biggest issues with the tick problem is the DNR. They tell us we have 60-70,000 moose In the state, but only issued 4,000 tags AT MOST over the last few years. So at best we aren't even harvesting 10% of our herd. This has gone on for years. These Ticks survive and thrive on one thing only and that's host animals. These aren't the same type of tick that most people think they are. They are a winter tick. If you google winter tick you will come back with a lot on how they are killing moose populations all across the northeast, into Canada, and even out west into Idaho now. They live on moose during the winter months, fall off in the spring, burrow into the ground and live there until they come back out and attach themselves back to their host animals (moose) in the fall. There are areas of our state that have or had a pile of moose that might see one moose hunter every two years. These areas are the ones that have had the highest number of die offs the last few years. Some guide friends were finding 10-15 dead moose on some days a couple springs ago. They weren't even being eatin by coyotes and bears, that's how many there were. The state collared a number of cows and calves last year and over half the calves died due to ticks. I think we have gone far too many years harvesting way to few moose and fear it's almost too late now. I can say with confidence I don't believe we have any where near 60,000 moose in this state now, but we are dropping permit numbers considerably again this year and shooting 0 cows in a lot of areas. You can't tell me that our DNR really believes we have that many moose and are going to drop the tag numbers below 3,000 for the first time in many years. It's like deer, many of the states that have the worst disease problems have high numbers of deer. What I'm getting at his a healthy population isn't always a large population. We all would absolutely love to have huge numbers of bear, deer, and moose, but with high numbers of animals comes a high risk for disease or tick related problems. I have no idea what the solution is, but we can't keep letting the tick population thrive. In areas in southern maine where the moose population is low we don't ever see winter kills. I would love to see studies done on our population down here and see if winter ticks are a problem. If what we need to do to make the population healthy is have a lower population then so be it. To me it's just absolutely ridiculous to have hundreds if not thousands die every winter because of a tick problem that is a result of there being too many host animals. The DNR is real worried that applicant numbers are dropping because the hunt is getting "too hard" for some. I can't tell you how many complaints I heard last year that there were no moose and the hunt was going down the tubes. I almost feel the state is saying we still have such a high number to keep the applicants up, but theres no way we do if the tag numbers are dropping like they are. OK sorry for rambling on and on about this, I will stop, even though I would love to continue Smile

Last edited by MEhunter on Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

MEhunter
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:41 pm

Well after reading that book Dave Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I must ask again , is the bar open yet ??? I know when I hunted in Jefferson county the ticks attached to the deer were unreal , BUT nothing like what I saw on a few moose from your state. That was just unreal , and then to have the numbers to kill a moose is crazy. I would say the moose tags should be well above 4,000 , more like 10,000 maybe more , like you said they need to get rid of the host animal to help lower the tick numbers or even the host animal in disease also.
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  MEhunter on Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:02 pm

Haha the bar is open and I can talk your ear off anytime you want to stop in! I agree on the 10,000 IF the population is that high and that's a big IF. Honestly I have thought about it as of late and really want to draft up an email to our moose bio to see if there's anything we can do to help them gather more information in different areas. I hate being the guy that complains about things and doesn't do anything. So I've been thinking perhaps with all the cameras I have along with the passion for learning more about moose if there is any thing I could do to give them a hand. I would never want to be a biologist. Often times I think the state pushes them into some of their decisions. I just really can't imagine them giving out such a lower amount of permits if they truly thought the population was that healthy. Swing by for a beer though and I can fill you with more BS Very Happy

MEhunter
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:02 pm

MEhunter wrote:Haha the bar is open and I can talk your ear off anytime you want to stop in! I agree on the 10,000 IF the population is that high and that's a big IF. Honestly I have thought about it as of late and really want to draft up an email to our moose bio to see if there's anything we can do to help them gather more information in different areas. I hate being the guy that complains about things and doesn't do anything. So I've been thinking perhaps with all the cameras I have along with the passion for learning more about moose if there is any thing I could do to give them a hand. I would never want to be a biologist. Often times I think the state pushes them into some of their decisions. I just really can't imagine them giving out such a lower amount of permits if they truly thought the population was that healthy. Swing by for a beer though and I can fill you with more BS Very Happy
 I think it  is time We  all head out  for  roadtrip up  to Maine, to  hang out at  you Bar, Dave, Beer and  BS  always make for a  good time,,
 Still trying to  get through  all your new  replies in this thread,  But   I totally agree with you on this one, with  taking what you have  learned, along  with your passion and the    photo's you have, You are very correct in your statement from  what  I have seen here also  with  doing every thing  I can   talking to our  Bio's, along  with  taking them  photos and what I get to see daily, no matter what  wildgame species it is , you have no idea  how many times  some of these great guy's have told  me  They know what is going on and Are   very compassionate about their  job's, but  when it comes to them actually being able to do their job, The higher ups  will not  allow it , if  doing what is right for  our wildlife  , would  cause  a loss in  State revenue, generated from  hunting      -Quote"
Often times I think the state pushes them into some of their decisions,

Nikon
Hoyt Element
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:21 pm

Awesome work Dave. I may have to revisit this post and borrow some ideas at a later time. lol. I guess I could be up for visiting that bar as well. Just before and after one of those awesome bear hunts. Wink

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  impactarcher on Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:26 pm

Great work!  Looks killer!

impactarcher
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Godfather on Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:53 pm

Wow!! That is awesome!! Very, very nicely done!!
Godfather
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum