All tagged out

View previous topic View next topic Go down

All tagged out

Post  Willy on Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:38 pm

I am tagged out in Kansas. I couldnt help myself.  Used both tags the first day I got to hunt.  It was just one of those rare days we get, started off cold, 31 at daylight,  climbed to about 70 in the afternoon, absolutly no wind at all. That was the rare part. Normally if we can get an hour or two in the moning that its under 20 MPH this time of year we call it good. The Turkeys were hammering like crazy. I had birds on both sides of me goobling before daylight. After flydown I could tell there were two different groups with multiple birds in them.  I figured, henned up, still early and they havent broken up into the smaller groups yet.  Then across the wheat field I see a white head and a fan. A single lone Tom. He goobled one time when he sees the decoys and then he shuts up. He comes across and goes into the tree row behind me, circles the blind and pops out in the decoys. I put the video up of that one. I had the Magnus Bull Head on the bow, had another arrrow with a regular expanable out of the quiver in case the birds wouldnt come all the way in. No need, the Bullhead did its job. He wasnt the biggest Tom, just an 8.5 inch beard and 1 inch spurs, but it was text book.
Barb I think it was one of the birds I have pictures of that has so much white in him

As I was getting the bird and my camera set up to take some pictures, sucks when your solo, I had birds shaking the ground gobbling. I decided to pack it up on this farm. I have friends coming over before season ends to hunt so I left them gobbling here.
Went to the house cleaned the bird , made me a sandwich and headed over to another farm about 15 miles away.  Eased into the spot I wanted to check on the Bad boy, as I rounded the corner in the wheat field I see 4 birds on the edge just loafing in the shade. Backed the bad boy up and out of sight. Set up the Double bull and decoys and hit a soft yelp on my slate. They cut me off mid call. 5 minutes later I have 6 jakes in the set up. I messed around with them for a few minutes then they walked in the woods behind me. Over the next hour I had 2 more jakes and 3 hens come in. Finally heard what I thought was a big bird way off around 2 pm. He would gobble of an on but didnt seem like he was getting any closer. at 2.45 I notice something out in the knee high wheat about 75 yards out, put the binos on it. Big Gobbler head. He was laying down in the wheat. He would poke his head up every time I would call but that was it. Finally i see why, there were two hens laying out there with him. They got up and started towards me, the hens didnt want to come to decoys, they wanted to go into the woods, I imagine to water, the Tom was tied to them, so when they got as close as they were going to get, I let another Bullhead fly, 23 yards and another head less flopper.
I hate tagging out so early, but sometimes things just work out that way. I still have Iowa and 2 tags in Oklahoma. It was a great way to get things started

Last edited by Willy on Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Willy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: All tagged out

Post  bowGal on Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:28 pm

Good god Willy-  You my friend are  the  Master Turkey Slayer Bow Bow Bow
 Excellent   job Bud.
  And  beautiful  birds( please tell my you are doing something  special with the fan of the  one with all the white, if  not   I will resend you my address Wink./
  can not  wait to see what you   put down  next, 
  So I take it  your not coming back to hunt  Missiouri this  Year?

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  soil on Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:28 pm

Sounds like your leg isn't slowing you down a bit!  I just replied in the other thread asking what head you had shot but now I see.  Congratulations on an awesome day.
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  BuckRubIL on Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:10 am

Nice job Willy, you sure didn't mess around!  Congrats on a great day/season, look forward to what you do in OK and IA.
BuckRubIL
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCReW on Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:27 am

Congrats on your quick success, sounds like great hunts! Great looking birds and pics.

TheCReW
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  MEhunter on Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:42 am

Sounds awesome, congrats on all the success and good luck the rest of the year. Have to wait another 10 days before I get to start being able to call some birds in. Getting the itch bad!

MEhunter
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:54 am

I told you that you would burn those tags too fast. lol. Way to get it done. I'm sure you will kill a few more until the season is over.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:17 am

Congrats Willy!  That's a great season packed into one day!
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum