not sure how I feel right now.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

not sure how I feel right now.

Post  Mountainman Vic on Fri May 01, 2015 9:20 pm

I roosted a bird but I had to sneak past him after dark. I stopped to mark the spot on the trail where he left the log road where I want to walk into my set up. While picking up a log to mark the trail I heard birds fly and looked up to see one sail out of a tree next to the road. That bird had to be a hen because the gobbler was about 100 or more yards off the log road. If he didn't fly with the hen(s) I'm going to be sitting pretty come daylight. Or If he did, I'll just enjoy the sunrise.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Re: not sure how I feel right now.

Post  shedder on Sat May 02, 2015 2:25 am

Man that could work out for you big time!! He'll be all charged up wondering where his girls went.  The valleys are going to be rumbling with his calls for sure if he stayed in his roost!!
Best of luck bud!!
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Sat May 02, 2015 9:27 am

Well Vic I see its almost 10:30 and you haven't posted anything , I guess that means your luck is like mine. We put some to bed , but they were right on top of a small ridge. But we have been getting pics of 3 nice longbeards on the south side of the ridge. Well today we heard one fly down thru the pines , to the north. She talked just enough to take the rest of the birds with her. And now its hot and the bugs suck !!!
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Sat May 02, 2015 11:53 am

Pa. Bowhunter wrote:Well Vic I see its almost 10:30 and you haven't posted anything , I guess that means your luck is like mine. We put some to bed , but they were right on top of a small ridge. But we have been getting pics of 3 nice longbeards on the south side of the ridge. Well today we heard one fly down thru the pines , to the north. She talked just enough to take the rest of the birds with her. And now its hot and the bugs suck !!!
Well the truth is that I just suck! I had him dead to rights but I think he saw me lift the gun. He let it go after a minute and strutted into my shooting lane but when I called to get him to lift his head he spun and was leaving. I thought the crosshairs were on his head, but he was at about 45 yards instead of 30 and when I shot he flew. Sad

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Sun May 03, 2015 9:26 am

That's what you get for going all Hollywood Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy !! I don't like trying to make a critter do what I want it to do , learned that a few years ago by doing the same thing . I thought just a little soft call , his head comes up and boom. Well he headed for the next county and fast Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy . At least its early !!!!Lots of time yet but it still sucks when they are right there and something goes wrong.
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  chukbuk on Mon May 04, 2015 5:03 am

Love reading the drama...my downfall too Rick - trying to make them do what I want them to instead of being prepared for the unexpected!

I awoke yesterday to a gobble...opened my eyes to a big gobbler strutting in the backyard and another smaller one below my bedroom window picking around the frog pond!  Still no open season in my area, the flock is getting healthy.  They are fond of black oil seed under the birdfeeders!
chukbuk
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCReW on Tue May 05, 2015 8:43 am

Tough one Vic! Hope you have another opportunity very soon.

TheCReW
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum