Thought this was interesting, had no idea it was legal-in Il

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Thought this was interesting, had no idea it was legal-in Il

Post  bowGal on Mon May 11, 2015 5:13 pm

Last week when  Larry went over to the  DNR, He was  telling the biologist  how much standing corn we had left in this one plot, Even asked    Tim, if the  DNR  wanted any of it , as we have be out picking and bagging it up for  squirrel feed, for months now before we finally  get it  mowed off,
 I take it the  DNR has had numberous reports on how  much  corn was left  due to the lack of deer , by other land owners with  foodplots- Larry told him, the good ear's we have been keeping,  the half eaten one's  we just toss off to the edge of the  field,  then Larry laughing told him  the darn turkeys and deer are in it the next day,   He said mow it off and hunt it, Larry  said- that is highly illegal isn't it?, He  said for deer hunting yes  but not    Turkey hunting,  You can hunt turkeys over a cut  corn field,-- I do  not think I have ever read that anywhere  in our   Rules and reglutaions book.
Might have to keep this in mind for next year tho

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Re: Thought this was interesting, had no idea it was legal-in Il

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Mon May 11, 2015 9:47 pm

O.K. Barb , I have to ask . What do they consider a cut corn field ? Around here a cut corn field means Mr. Farmer harvested the field. We can hunt either but we are required to have written permission to hunt over standing corn, soybeans or whatever . Even though I have never once been checked to see if I had written permission , even after walking out of the standing corn.
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Wed May 13, 2015 4:12 pm

Pa. Bowhunter wrote:O.K. Barb , I have to ask . What do they consider a cut corn field ? Around here a cut corn field means Mr. Farmer harvested the field. We can hunt either but we are required to have written permission to hunt over standing corn, soybeans or whatever . Even though I have never once been checked to see if I had written permission , even after walking out of the standing corn.
 It it's legal rick to hunt any standing crop field or  freshly harvest field, It is just illeagl  to  mow a section  off on  standing corn and then hunt it, for deer that is, Like  I said  I had no idea  it was leagal for turkey hunting   and By the way  that is just  wild you  have to have  written permission to hunt over a standing crop field -  Have never heard of that, or knew that was  a law in your state,

Nikon
Hoyt Element
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Wed May 13, 2015 8:32 pm

Wow!  I had no idea that you could not hunt over a freshly harvested corn field in IL?!!
How long do you have to wait before you can go back to hunting a field after it has been harvested Barb?
Is it just corn?  What about Millet or Alfalfa?
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Wed May 13, 2015 8:43 pm

shedder wrote:Wow!  I had no idea that you could not hunt over a freshly harvested corn field in IL?!!
How long do you have to wait before you can go back to hunting a field after it has been harvested Barb?
Is it just corn?  What about Millet or Alfalfa?
 Matt re- read-  a havested crop  field  is legal,

Key word is you can not Mow off( ( combine it yes, but highly   illegal to mow or brushhog  an area of   standing corn  off -   for hunting  access

Nikon
Hoyt Element
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Wed May 13, 2015 9:47 pm

Ok I got Ya...I saw the cut corn field part and assumed that was harvested.
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Thu May 14, 2015 8:43 pm

I take it your talking about actually mowing down the cobs and stalks , so its blowing corn all over , just like going out and spreading say 50 pounds of corn from a bag . Which is now called bait Very Happy !!
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  John B on Fri May 15, 2015 3:17 pm

As of a couple years ago, you can do that for deer in MO and hunt over it. As long as it is planted for the deer and no part of the field is harvested. I had never thought to do something like that for turkeys as they have always come so easy here, but the way this season went by the second week of season the birds around me were pretty much done gobbling and couldn't care less about calls or decoys. Id have gladly sat over some cut grain to put another set of breasts in the freezer.

John B
Pope & Young
Pope & Young

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum