learned something this season

View previous topic View next topic Go down

learned something this season

Post  soil on Sat May 16, 2015 8:12 pm

this turkey season was a bit challenging for me.  i was just too busy to make it work.  i only got to hunt twice during my season and i thought i'd just go to the back where the turkeys always are, every year, and put in a half day and get a tom.  what i learned instead, was that while cereal rye is a fantastic cover crop, it is not a friend to the turkey hunter.  during youth season, when andrew killed his bird in this same field, the rye was about 4 to 6 inches tall.  i didn't go back there from the time he killed his bird until my fourth season came in.  i can listen in the mornings from the porch and tell the birds are still there.  or so i thought.  what i found out instead was that the rye had grown from 6 inches to over 2 feet in a matter of a few weeks and the turkeys that sounded like they were here were actually on the neighbor.  i should've mowed a spot or done some scouting elsewhere to have increased my chances.  my hard head just tried to call them across the fence and it didn't work out!  i am very happy to have shared andrew's first hunt with him though. 

this is the rye today.  pushing 5 feet in some places. 
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Re: learned something this season

Post  bowGal on Sun May 17, 2015 6:47 am

Learned tall grasses and even to tall clover plots can, change everything,  for hunting strutting  Tom's,  a long time ago Wink  Our season is 5 weeks long and in that  time  Larry had to mow the clovers and field edges  3 time's  this year during our short season, to keep the birds coming in, lol and then it really stunk we had so many darn hen's this year, but  we were really glad to  see the number's,

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Sun May 17, 2015 8:56 am

But Josh you want to leave some of that tall grass because your hens will be nesting in it. Wink

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  soil on Sun May 17, 2015 12:12 pm

It has to be sprayed or bush hogged before it goes to seed or you'll never get rid of it.   It's been sprayed now. August this field will be seeded in a mixture of clover and native grasses as its being put back in the CRP program. May be a few clover plots as well Very Happy
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Willy on Sun May 17, 2015 2:56 pm

another two weeks it will be dead Josh. The seed heads will dry out and break over. If its your plot and your not going to plant anything in it this summer leave it standing till time for fall planting.
Willy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum