your first job

View previous topic View next topic Go down

your first job

Post  soil on Sun May 24, 2015 8:06 am

i thought it may be neat during this slow time between turkey season and velvet season to hear about everyone's first experience in the work force.  i'm sure there are some others who would like to hear the humble beginnings that led some of you to be self employed, master plumbers, home builders, chief cotton installer at the q-tip factory.......etc........

besides picking up hay and farm work for cash, my first 'real' job was washing 18 wheelers.  i worked the 4-12 shift after school.  i think i started at $5.15 per hour.  after 2 1/2 months i was promoted to shift supervisor which meant i ran the register and dealt with the drivers as well as washing the trucks.  it was a really fun job.  i'd still do it now if it paid the bills!  i worked for that company through high school and 2 1/2 years of college.  i ended up making $9.00 per hour which was much better than most of my friends were doing.  my fondest memory was watching a cow crap from the top deck of a livestock trailer onto my assistant managers neck and back as he was washing the back wheels of the tractor!  ah, good times at the truck wash........            so what was your first job?
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Re: your first job

Post  Willy on Sun May 24, 2015 10:34 am

My first real job, one that I puched a clock and had the joy of seeing how much of what I made was taken out each week for taxes was the summer before I turned 14. Hard to believe that uncle same would take taxes from a 13 year old kid but its a fact. I worked on the military base my Dad was stationed at. They had a summer work program. I was attached to a division on the base called the Grass Crew. They came by my house at 6 am every morning in an old military truck with a canvas cover on the back, there were benches in the back. About 3 of my friends and I would get picked up and we would go to the shop with the guys. Most of which were 20 year olds right out of boot camp that had been assigned the shittiest job on base to start off with. It was a real eye opener. They worked our butts off. But it was a 6.30 to 2.30 job to beat the heat. We got paid every two weeks , same as the sailors we worked for. On every pay day the boss would only work us till 11.00 , we would all go cash our checks and go to the commisary on base and buy a Big Steak and go back to the shop and grill them. At 13 I didnt get much Steak at my house. That was something my mom and dad had every once in a while, for my to get my own steak, to buy it and cook it with " the guys" was pretty damn special. I had my first cold beer working there. My mom hated me working there. She said it was a bad infulence on me. Maybe so.
that was 1976. I have filed a federal tax return every year since. I bagged groceries during the school year that same year. Worked for tips alone. I stayed with that summer job program on the base till I was 16, that first year was the only year I worked with a crew. I passed the Bronze Medalion water rescue course before the next summer. I was the youngest ever there at the time to complete and pass the course. The next summer and until I went into the service myself I was a life guard.  and yes after joining the service I continued that. I was a SAR wet crewman(Search And Rescue) in the navy.
Willy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Sun May 24, 2015 10:40 am

love this topic, It will be  tuesday before I will have time to type it out

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  soil on Sun May 24, 2015 12:24 pm

That's awesome willy!  I had no idea you were in the military.  Is the SAR navy crew what the movie the guardian with Kevin Costner and ashton kutcher was based on?  Thanks for serving.
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Sun May 24, 2015 1:16 pm

My first job were I paid taxes was when I was 12. I milked cows two nights a week for my grandfather. I did that off and on until I graduated high school. I then started into my construction career.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Maniac Outdoors on Sun May 24, 2015 1:21 pm

Great topic Josh. Well my first real job was working at a zoological supply company,  we were the first to receive the shipment of reptiles before they would be sold to pet stores. It was one of the craziest jobs I EVER had Lol I had to pull off the ticks from the snakes what is wasn't bad until you started to mess with a 8' rock python which is one of the nastiest snakes out there as far as aggression goes. I have been bitten by scorpions, tarantula and even a Asian rat snake which is semi poisonous equivalent to about 10 wasp stings at once.
Maniac Outdoors
Admin
Admin

http://usahuntingpros.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Willy on Sun May 24, 2015 7:12 pm

soil wrote:That's awesome willy!  I had no idea you were in the military.  Is the SAR navy crew what the movie the guardian with Kevin Costner and ashton kutcher was based on?  Thanks for serving.

Similar but not the same. The movie was coast guard. They do it full time and I believe that is all they do. They also work civilian rescues.  SAR is something you do in addition to your main rate. And you provide over watch and rescues for military. It's Changed a whole lot since I was in. I don't even think they are called SAR crewman anymore. I think it's aviation rescue swimmer now.  When I did it the focus of most all our training was on retrieving downed pilots and crews from planes and helicopters that had gone down in the water. But yes we did the jumping out of helo thing.
Willy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  soil on Sun May 24, 2015 8:28 pm

That's crazy, Harry!  I didn't realize ticks would snack on snakes. That's a pair that just gives me the heebie jeebies right there!
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  G3 on Mon May 25, 2015 1:09 pm

My first real job was digging trenches for electrical service hook ups. I started that when I was 10 yrs old. Then I moved on to pruning peach trees in the orchard from 12-14 yrs old, from there I went on to rent jets skis and do para-sail appointments from 14-16 yrs old...then into the Air Force when I graduated high school. Got out of the Air Force and began working for a local lumber company that led me into building houses which led me into general contracting. Its all downhill from there :-)
G3
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Tue May 26, 2015 12:44 pm

My first job was working for Holiday Inn mowing lawns.  I didn't want any thing to do with anybody, never took a break except my lunch.  That damn lawn took almost 4 full days to mow and by the time I finished with the weeder it was time to start all over.  I was 15 then I packed groceries until I smartened up and became a bouncer at a beach bar...Nothing like being that kid with that job watching the waves, sunset and standing on those platforms listening to music all day long...alcohol and bikinis, beach and music; WAIT, I GET PAID FOR THIS TOO?!  cheers drunkenCheers!
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCReW on Wed May 27, 2015 8:45 am

Interesting topic! I had alot of small jobs from the time I was 10, picking berries, working on farms doing whatever, even worked on construction crews a couple summers when I was 14-15, but my first 'real' job was when I was 16. My younger brother and I bid on a big contract to maintain the lawns, playgrounds, rinks and yards, etc. on 30 schools in our area. We were stunned when we got it, so we hired a few friends, bought a 1-ton truck, trailer, tractor and mower, lawn mowers, tools and the next 5 years from May-October we did that, in addition to the jobs we got after finishing high school. It was a great way to spend the summers.

TheCReW
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  andyman1983 on Wed May 27, 2015 1:42 pm

I had a ton of lawn mowing and rock picking jobs when i was young. But my first job job and still the same job today is working in my family business. My dad was in the craft business back in the 80s and made all kinds of stuff and eventually got into the supply end. So he buys all kinds of craft parts and whatnot in bulk lots and we break them down for the crafters and hobby people now. Been woking in here since i was 8 doing here and there stuff , part time through highschool and college, started full time after college about 13 years ago. We are called American Woodcrafters Supply co. In the 90s when crafting was still popular alot of our business was from word of mouth but now that you dont see many crafters anymore, we have alot of hobby business from online. I would say 95% of our sales are all internet now.
andyman1983
12 Point
12 Point

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum