Few More...

Go down

Few More...

Post  MEhunter on Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:57 pm

Well things are starting to wind down, but the birds still want to play so we've still been chasing them a bit. NH ended yesterday and Maine ends this coming Saturday. Mosquitos are getting real bad, but thank god for thermacells! A 3 more misses and 6 more kills since the last update. Any way here's a couple of stories for you...

Roosted this bird the night before. Heavily pressured area, but when they roost in a certain spot they are extremely killable if you get in there early enough. The guy who was going with me on this morning is a long time family friendly that fell in love with turkey hunting a few years back when I took him for the first time. I told him if we weren't setup on this bird by 3:30 we might as well not even go. Well the guy was on time and we slipped up in under the birds toes at 3:30. The only reason it works in this spot is because there are several trees along the edge of the field that have a pile of leaves in them, basically blocking the birds view of the field and since we're walking in through the field you basically don't make a sound. The tom was roosted 20 yards to our right in a big pine. As long as we were quiet and nothing unexpected happened, I knew the bird was ours. I drifted off into nap land just before 4 am and awoke probably around 4:25 to hear the bird spitting and drumming non stop. Not wanting to move or make any noise I elected not to say anything to the other guy and just hope that he heard what I was hearing, some people just have a hard time hearing the drumming. It wasn't until about 4:45 that he let out his first gobble. He continued to gobble non stop until about what I would guess was 5:08 when he flew down. To this day I've never heard a bird make suck a racket flying out of a tree. He must have broken 5-6 large pine branches on his way down. Needless to say he gobbled one time on the edge of the woods before he entered the field and about 5 seconds later there he was and it was over. I figure he was only the ground maybe a minute and a half or two minutes before he died. The first thing the guy commented on was how loud he was when he flew down. His words were "When I get a little older and I'm living in a nursing home about dead. Those nurses will look over at me and I'm going to have a big smile on my face. The nurses will probably say "Look at that old dirty man, he's probably thinking about women." NOPE, I'm thinking about that big old tom flying out of the tree sounding like a damn elephant!" Nice to think that it will be in his memory bank for a long time to come.

The next one in an NH bird we got off the roost. He flew down super early and I could tell he had some hens and what I assumed were jakes with him. He gobbled fairly decent to soft calling, but wouldn't budge. We decided to move one more time and I pulled out the box call and really started to hammer on him. Man didn't that work like magic. Just a few series of cuts and yelps on that box and in came the flock, gobbling, yelping, and fighting. Wasn't but a couple minutes later and this old boy was dead.

This next bird was with a group that had another tom, 2 jakes and several hens with it that we had worked the morning prior. We didn't get over their way until about noon time the next day, but sure enough we were able to do some glassing and find the group of birds working their way across this big cutting. I knew the lay of the land pretty well and we were able to slip down in front of the group and start calling. This bird never gobbled once, but we were where they wanted to be and the whole flock showed up before long. He had a lot of beard rot, but still a nice late season tom!

This next story is kind of neat. I got an message on facebook last Wednesday from a gentleman that said he got my name from a friend of mine he had just met at the hardware store. He said that he was an assistant VP for the NWTF and one of the lead biologists for the all of the NWTF. Him and his wife were up here on vacation trying to do some site seeing and turkey hunting. He had some connections in the area, but he hadn't had much luck with the birds so far. I told him I would be happy to give him a hand. We met up at my house and I showed them a few spots they could try the next AM. I wasn't able to take him the next morning, but could go the following afternoon and AM. They didn't have any luck in the morning, but on my way home from work I found a hot bird that was all alone in an area I know well. I met the guy at my house at 6:15 and we headed back the area I had seen the bird in. The bird had left the field, but he wasn't far. About 5 calls and 10 minutes later he was in our laps and my new friend had sealed the deal on his first Maine gobbler

This next one is one of those kills that has a real meaning to it. About a year ago one of my good friends from the northern part of the state lost his life long best friend and hunting buddy to cancer at only the age of 25. About a week after he passed away his wife came to my friends house and said I need to give you something that Brandon wanted you to have. It was his shotgun. My buddy decided that this spring he really wanted to take a bird with that kids gun. He had been busy with work and hadn't had too much time to hunt, but he finally got down to hunt with me Friday afternoon. We struck out in the afternoon and weren't able to roost any. The next AM we started out just owl hooting trying to locate one. About the fifth stop we got one going. He was up on the edge of a field in another spot I know well. They get hunted fairly regularly, but I had a good feeling about where he was at. I knew or at least was pretty sure that he wouldn't want to go out into the field right away. The grass is getting fairly tall and have found that they don't like going out into the wet grass at first light until it dries out a bit. We slipped up within about 100 yards of them roosted and got setup in the woods about 80 yards off the field. I could hear one other bird yelping a couple trees over and was pretty sure it was a jake yelping and not a hen. They flew down at about 5:20 and stayed in the woods behind the field. Over the next hour we were within 75-80 yards of them. I only made 3-4 soft clucks and purrs the entire time, but I never stopped scratching the leaves like I was a hen that was feeding. The tom gobbled non stop all morning and finally about an hour later I could see a jake coming at us. Then I hear him gobble closer and just out of site. I told the kid to get ready and in they came. The jake got to about 10 yards before the tom finally gave us a clear shot. Down he went!

Well after we got him tagged up and back to my house I decided that it was time for me to try and go fill my NH tag before the season ended. We headed off for NH and were instantly into birds we had hunted the previous AM that a friend missed. I got one from the group gobbling from the road. I figured he wouldn't come running in so we took our time getting up into the woods. Wrong! He had come pretty much  running to the call and spooked before I could sit down. About an hour later we spotted a lone tom working his way across the back edge of a green field. I slipped all the way down around in front of him and started calling softly. About 2 minutes after making my first series of calls I could see his head telescoping up and down just the other side of a rise in the field. About a minute later he was in full view 40 yards away and down he went.

MEhunter
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Re: Few More...

Post  BuckRubIL on Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:10 pm

Great Story's Dave, you've laid it on them this year congrats! cheers
BuckRubIL
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:11 pm

Great write up Dave !! Love hearing and seeing stories like that , the old dude smiling in a nursing home and the harvest of an animal with the gun of a friend or family member. Those are the hunts that will last forever !!!
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:31 pm

and  this  post is what   hunting should alway be  about!!!!!!!!!!!!
excellant Post as always  Dave, 
 Thanks for sharing,

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content