Chainsaw mill tips?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Chainsaw mill tips?

Post  chukbuk on Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:10 am

Hey I just bought a monster Stihl saw on EBay and a chainsaw mill for it.  Planning to cut some oak beams for the kitchen.  Can't wait to use thus beast... It's 111cc, like a dirt bike engine with a bar and chain!  
     Anyway, just wondering if anyone has experience with chainsaw milling to offer any tips?  Going to use a long aluminum ladder as a guide for the first cut.  Probably need to take a nap after each cut!
chukbuk
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Re: Chainsaw mill tips?

Post  soil on Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:54 pm

We need some pictures of this maneater in action!
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:08 pm

Get a bigger saw Very Happy Very Happy !!! I have thought about getting one myself , just don't like the prices of the saw I want and then to add the mill on top , my wife would shoot me. But I'm lucky because I have an amish guy with a huge sawmill and his prices are decent. Get some pics up of the monster.
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Pic

Post  chukbuk on Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:20 pm

i haven't had much time to do much other than put the bar and chain on.  This is the biggest one it came with...42.  likely never use it except for cutting table slabs.  Started up and it runs really well for an older saw!  Have to admit...I'm a little afraid of it but really will only use it with the sawmill jig on it which carries all the weight (thankfully).
Here's the saw....I'm thinking of calling it Sasquatch!
chukbuk
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:58 pm

Holly  Moly CB,  You better get your wife to  video you using it once you get the  sawmill jig on it, I asked Larry if he had ever used one,  No he has not, but  he  said he watch a  show,   it might of  been Alaska   Mountain men, ( something like that)   and those guy's   used   one to  build thier entire home

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  MEhunter on Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:31 am

l could use that big saw to help me get through my last pile of wood!! Since turkey season I've been cutting 3-4 nights a week after work and a few hours each weekend. I'm finally down to my last pile for cutting everything up into stove length. Then it's on to splitting it all. Several ppl estimate there's 30-40 cord down to be cut. They think I have around 25-30 cord in this last pile. Some of the oak logs are quite big. Lots of work, but need to get it done before our bear hunting trip the first week in September, because after that it's full on hunting season!!

The last pile

MEhunter
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  chukbuk on Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:08 pm

Dang that is a huge pile of logs ME...nice work!  I'm way off schedule cutting wood, by the time I'm done doing block work I'm too tired and sore for anything else.  You are the chainsaw man for sure!
chukbuk
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum