Would you shoot him?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Would you shoot him?

Post  kyhunter123 on Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:33 pm

Its November 5th. Your not seeing many deer. And dont have any shooters on camera. But you have had this guy on camera for the last 2 years. And know he will never have a matching side. And he walks in.... Do you shoot him?

(Yes this is the second year iv had this buck on camera. His one side was jacked up last year also)

kyhunter123
Booner
Booner

http://ctdoutdoors.wix.com/ctdoutdoors

Back to top Go down

Re: Would you shoot him?

Post  soil on Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:37 pm

Is he 3 this year?  I don't think I'd shoot him until he's more mature. He may just grow a normal rack next year, stranger things have happened. And on November 5th I'm definitely not shooting. Even with no shooters on cam you could have a stud from 5 miles away show up on a hot doe!
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  kyhunter123 on Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:41 pm

soil wrote:Is he 3 this year?  I don't think I'd shoot him until he's more mature. He may just grow a normal rack next year, stranger things have happened. And on November 5th I'm definitely not shooting. Even with no shooters on cam you could have a stud from 5 miles away show up on a hot doe!
I think. I'm not 100% positive on the age. And yeah I probably wouldn't on Nov. 5th Either. I just picked a day lol
kyhunter123
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  kyhunter123 on Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:46 pm

This is him last year... Hes going more straight up this year... 
kyhunter123
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:04 pm

Bow season he gets a pass , you just never know what buck may show up chasing a doe. Gun season , your 18 years old , you have lots of years to worry about shooting a big buck plus he is unique , shoot him. Just remember each and every deer you take , buck or doe is a trophy.
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  kyhunter123 on Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:45 am

Pa. Bowhunter wrote:Bow season he gets a pass , you just never know what buck may show up chasing a doe. Gun season , your 18 years old , you have lots of years to worry about shooting a big buck plus he is unique , shoot him. Just remember each and every deer you take , buck or doe is a trophy.
Yeah. He's not gonna get shot by me unless it's late in the season and he's the only thing showin up. Then maybe... I have a few deer that I'm keeping my eye on this year Smile
kyhunter123
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:35 pm

He still has a month to go , but it doesn't look like he will be as big as he was last year. I had a friend shoot one like that about 10 years ago. The one side has 4 and the other was a spike that was around 20 inches long.
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  chukbuk on Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:34 am

To me, he still has a young look about his face though he is good size.  I would be too interested into seeing what he develops into next year to shoot him.
chukbuk
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:51 pm

LOL  well you know  I am going to say  do not  shoot him  yet! Jacob Wink he is just to young, to know what  he  can or  will  possible turn into  he if can  reach the   the  4 -6 yr, age, That's when they really start growing,
 I am hoping  Boss  gives us an update soon of that   wacky rack buck  he has  followed  for the past few years .
You guys keep killing those   2 and 3 yr olds  your state is going to   become what Il and  Pa  are, Wink

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:08 pm

To me , at least going by the pics he looks to already gone down on the bad side compared to last years pic. Yes you never know , he could blow up but he could also go downhill some more next year.
Oh yea Barb , right away you want to pick on Pa. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy !! Sorry to say but Pa. is coming on and in a hurry. The last 2 years I have seen more pics of big bucks than the last 10 added together. No , I don't think we are yet close to the Midwest , but as far as the eastern states go , it won't be long that guys will come back to Pa. to hunt. Hopefully they don't though !!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:50 pm

Hey buddy, in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter if every member on this forum said I wouldn't shoot...You are the only one that matters!
If he flicks your trigger then let an arrow fly threw him and we'll all give ya an atta' boy.  
He may be one of those bucks that you think no then when he's in range the story changes or vice versa.
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:02 am

Ha I never answered your question! 

As much as I want to say it's the rut you need to hold off to see what the scent of a pretty lady brings your way...Its really the genetics that most bothers me here.  1 have rack is cool but what would you think about a hand full running around breeding???  I highly doubt that is an injury.  You should be taking it out of your gene pool as cool as it may be.
Sept 5, Nov 5 or Dec 5 I personally would shoot him.

Awesome awesome post!  I love a post where there's no wrong answer and we get to see all kinds of views!  Hoping lots more chime in now that hunting season is only a month away.
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:15 pm

I am by no means an expert, but I think I have had as many jacked up bucks as anyone. The sad thing is there is no right answer. I have watched bucks be goofy for a few years and straighten out, i have had deer go from normal to messed up and back again, and some just always stay the same. I have had a few go from messed up ones I was thinking needed shot to studs. So its up to you. I dont believe you can tell which deer will do what so you have to let them get to at least 4. If I have one that is 4 and isnt showing ANY improvement then he probably needs to go.
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:07 pm

Boss Gobbler wrote:I am by no means an expert, but I think I have had as many jacked up bucks as anyone. The sad thing is there is no right answer. I have watched bucks be goofy for a few years and straighten out, i have had deer go from normal to messed up and back again, and some just always stay the same. I have had a few go from messed up ones I was thinking needed shot to studs. So its up to you. I dont believe you can tell which deer will do what so you have to let them get to at least 4. If I have one that is 4 and isnt showing ANY improvement then he probably needs to go.

What you are saying is exactly why I feel there is a need to kill it ASAP...In my eyes there is no need to let it hang around any longer because of an age rule.  You have to look at your cost benefit here.  I just don't see enough benefit to keep it around.  For me your cost is shooting 1 buck before a set age goal prior its maturity. The benefit is possibly eliminating an inferior buck out of your breeding gene pool for years.  I think this case shows that sometimes we need to be able to look at the possibility of putting the age limit on hold for these cases, it can't always be a hard rule.
When looking at it in harm vs good...I still think it makes more sense shooting it now rather than waiting one more year and letting it impregnate what 5 maybe more doe...that's a lot of potential negative genetics roaming your woods...if it ends up that it was a buck that would have turned it around...it's already spread its genes last year and as far as this year:
I'm sure his void will be filled with a quality buck and more than likely one with both main beams.
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:01 am

shedder wrote:
What you are saying is exactly why I feel there is a need to kill it ASAP...In my eyes there is no need to let it hang around any longer because of an age rule.  You have to look at your cost benefit here.  I just don't see enough benefit to keep it around.  For me your cost is shooting 1 buck before a set age goal prior its maturity. The benefit is possibly eliminating an inferior buck out of your breeding gene pool for years.  I think this case shows that sometimes we need to be able to look at the possibility of putting the age limit on hold for these cases, it can't always be a hard rule.
When looking at it in harm vs good...I still think it makes more sense shooting it now rather than waiting one more year and letting it impregnate what 5 maybe more doe...that's a lot of potential negative genetics roaming your woods...if it ends up that it was a buck that would have turned it around...it's already spread its genes last year and as far as this year:
I'm sure his void will be filled with a quality buck and more than likely one with both main beams.

Here is the buck Barb is talking about. He started out with his first 2 racks looking exactly the same. Zero improvement from 1-2. Some people would have said shoot him, get him out of the gene pool. Then at 3 he made a huge jump. He was way better but still had the messed up side. So now he has been messed up for 3 consecutive years, he is always going to be like that you "have" to get him out and keep him from spreading those genes. Right? Then at age 4 he turns around and grows a 9 point perfect rack. Now if you had not seen this deer up until this point you would have assumed that he had great genetics and wanted him around. My way of thinking is that you can do absolutely nothing to control genetics in a wild herd. Deer travel for miles during the rut, just because that deer is there doesnt mean he is breeding there. Whos to say that another deer with bad genes dont travel to your place from 3 miles away, stay a month breed every doe there then leave again.

Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:22 am

I can settle this whole thing !! Catch this buck , bring him to my spot by the house and I'll kill him the 1st chance I get Very Happy Very Happy !! Sounds like I will not be hunting by the house after this season because of houses going up . Case closed , dead buck and food in my freezer Very Happy !!
There is no guarantee when it comes to anything wild , none at all !!! If you really think there is , ask yourself just when was Mr. Weatherman correct on ANY weather forecast longer than an hour away ?? Exactly !!! Case in point , last night we headed for the racetrack , there was a 20% chance of a slight shower ,lasting not more than 10 minutes . Guess what , Mr. Weatherman was wrong. We had a downpour shower for 40 minutes or so !! No guarantee when it comes to anything wild !!! I can remember when the saying " once a spike always a spike " was the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Wrong again. You just never know what will happen. You can try to keep a buck on your property until he is 4 or 5 years old and then the day comes that you see him coming in , your heart starts to beat a little faster and all of the sudden he decides to try and cross the road 100 yards away and gets nailed by a truck !! Why wait , why let him grow , oh heck why do anything but what YOU want to do !!!! When the day comes he walks by your stand , don't think about or care what others will say , do what you want to do and be happy with whatever you choose !!
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:37 pm

There's no argument here just good ol debate amgunst friends!! 
cheers  I can see why you would give that buck an opportunity Boss. Giant eye guards and solid main beams...you are right he may turn it around but in my eyes waiting, another year or two to see if it will turn it around, in the mean time allowing it to continue to breed...that benefit does not out-weight the risk of shooting one buck before maturity...even if he would of ended up turning it around.  It's one deer just get it out of there and play it safe.  Why play roulette with your deer heard just because it's not at your set age level?  
I think the best management plan has to have flexibility in cases like this.  I realize you have to take a doe's genetics into account with each offspring but outside of a farming practice taking out an inferrior racked buck is our only option other than nothing.  My theory would have to be if another messed up rack showed up then that just solidifies my decision all the more.  It was too long in the making.
For me I'll take the numbers and play it safe IF I am working on a trophy plan or just looking to make memories.
Rick,
That sucks that those houses are finally going up!  Lets hope they find some kind of ancient burial and things get blocked for ya!

Great Reply Boss!!
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:20 pm

I see your point also Matt. Years ago I was here asking this very same question. Its a flip of a coin. Like you said its all in what you want to put your tag on. That is a big issue in KY because you only get one.
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  kyhunter123 on Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:33 pm

shedder wrote:There's no argument here just good ol debate amgunst friends!! 
cheers  I can see why you would give that buck an opportunity Boss. Giant eye guards and solid main beams...you are right he may turn it around but in my eyes waiting, another year or two to see if it will turn it around, in the mean time allowing it to continue to breed...that benefit does not out-weight the risk of shooting one buck before maturity...even if he would of ended up turning it around.  It's one deer just get it out of there and play it safe.  Why play roulette with your deer heard just because it's not at your set age level?  
I think the best management plan has to have flexibility in cases like this.  I realize you have to take a doe's genetics into account with each offspring but outside of a farming practice taking out an inferrior racked buck is our only option other than nothing.  My theory would have to be if another messed up rack showed up then that just solidifies my decision all the more.  It was too long in the making.
For me I'll take the numbers and play it safe IF I am working on a trophy plan or just looking to make memories.
Rick,
That sucks that those houses are finally going up!  Lets hope they find some kind of ancient burial and things get blocked for ya!

Great Reply Boss!!
I haven't really had any other really jacked up deer. One last year but haven't seen him since opening weekend last year. Only thing iv seen year after year is 7 points. They are everywhere! Lol
kyhunter123
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:47 am

Ha Ha Look what I just found on my cam this morning! 

I immediately thought of it running around making little one horns Evil smile
 Hunting    Buck
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: