This was just down the road a few miles from my house.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

This was just down the road a few miles from my house.

Post  Mountainman Vic on Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:07 pm

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/field-notes/first-person-in-pennsylvania-killed-by-rattlesnake-in-25-years?src=SOC&dom=fb

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Re: This was just down the road a few miles from my house.

Post  bowGal on Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:42 pm

Wow , I read that  story the other day and of  course  thought of you Vic,,  had no  idea this happened that  close to you  ,  We  have  to  deal   with many of  copperheads over the years on the pike  farm,  but  never   any rattler's, 
  Vic  I  still   do not  know how you  truck  around out in your   mountains  with  all those darn snakes,

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:53 pm

They said on the news that the snake came up towards the campfire and bit the guy. Not sure what the truth is but I have  yet to see one come after a person , unless they are scared or surprised, usually they would rather move away to avoid you. Sucks big time for the mans family but what I really do not understand , is why they did not keep the man at the 1st hospital he went to. If he was already being treated , why move him ? I would think it may be better to keep him stable and bring in more anti venom over moving him. That and why they stopped for help and did not keep moving towards the hospital . Time is life in this situation , the sooner the better. My 1st thought on this was about the family and my 2nd was , did it really go down as told or was this a case of somebody messing with a critter that should not have.
Barb , there really is no reason at all to worry about them , cautious yes . I do however take my snake chaps with me when I know I'm going searching for them or going to be in area's I know they are around. Tina even went as far as buying me one of those snake bite kits , they may work for a copperhead but are no good for a rattler , your just wasting precious time !!!!
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:37 am

Rick, what makes sense to me and is a lot of speculation on my part is that he reached into the wood pile to get a piece of firewood and got bit. I don't know if there was no warning or if the man was tanked up on alcohol. Camp fire at midnight often = having a few beers.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:22 pm

Campfire at midnight and beer , why I never heard of such a thing !!!! Very Happy I guess we will never hear what actually happened. You know as well as I do they usually , but not always , sound the "alarm" if your getting too close. But yes , I would say beer was involved , wouldn't be the 1st time !!!
Maybe we should go to the club for a few hours , drink a beverage or two or more and go snake hunting !!!!
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  chukbuk on Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:40 pm

Sad!  Ditto on being skeptical on the facts.  I find it believable that reaching into a woodpile in the dark could be more likely.  For me, if it's midnight and there's a campfire....I'm almost out of beer!  
     In 33 years of wandering in snake country of the Tiadaughton State forest, I've only encountered a few rattlesnakes.  Almost stepped on 2 of them before I saw them!
chukbuk
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  chukbuk on Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:52 pm

Early fall, I had left the cabin on a Sunday scouting trip about 5 years ago.  Trying to hustle up the mountain, I nearly stepped on this rattle snake.  Thankfully it was a chilly morning and it wasn't moving fast so I was able to get some great pics of it!
chukbuk
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:26 pm

That one has some nice color !! I have been keeping my eye on a beautiful yellow phase , just waiting for it to get bigger ( as of late june 54-1/2 inches ) hoping for the 60 inch mark , as long as nobody kills it first. Luckily it stays close to home , unless it gets too dry then he will wonder down to white deer creek , which means he has to cross the road .
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  chukbuk on Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:38 am

That's a big snake Rick, I sure hope you get him.  Timber rattlers are a beautiful snake.  My buddy shot one almost that big in the cabin yard.  He was mowing and saw it hunting for chipmunks under a big pine tree.  Show me a pic if you get a chance...I don't think I have seen a yellow phase before.
chukbuk
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  VABuckSlayer on Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:26 pm

We deal with the Copperheads around here but no rattlers. I hate snakes more than anything. Freak me out. I'm not racist towards snakes... I kill them all no matter what color they are! Smile
VABuckSlayer
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:56 am

54" and I thought the timber rattlers were small!
In all seriousness that is a sad story.
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum