Turnip help

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Turnip help

Post  soil on Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:33 pm

I read somewhere (might've been on here) that someone thought a lot of people plant their turnips too early and they end up huge and aren't hit as hard by the deer as they would be if they were smaller. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this and has thoughts on a good date to shoot for here in the Midwest for optimum deer food sized turnips.
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Re: Turnip help

Post  bowGal on Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:42 pm

Josh  we  normally  have ours in   by now, We  usely  try to  get them  planted right at  the   end of  july  into  the  first  2 weeks of  Aug. Never any earlier then that but , As  far as  size goes, I have never  noticed that the  deer   cared one way or another  about them being to large,  We have  had some the   size of  basket  ball's,  the  deer still ate them, just  as well as the  smaller one's  Smile

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  soil on Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:59 pm

Seems like we planted before in July and our deer never seem to hit them. I thought maybe they were too big. I'm thinking of planting some in a week or two just to see if that changes things.
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  John B on Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:31 am

Usually first week of Aug here in MO. To my understanding some places have a "learning curve" for turnips and they may not eat them the first year or two till they figure out that they are good to eat. They eat the tops here but haven't had them digging them up like you often hear about.

Willy's secret with top dressing of nitrogen works well with brassicas just like it does for the wheat. Just dont tell any of my friends that, Thanks Willy.  Very Happy

John B
Pope & Young
Pope & Young

Back to top Go down

Post  soil on Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:00 pm

Maybe that has something to do with it too. I think I've planted them three times but never consecutive years. They didn't hit them the first time so I didn't plant them the next couple years. Then tried them again with no luck. It's a pattern. Lol.
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:17 pm

Every time I have planted them the deer never touch them until the tops turn purple, which is usually after the first frost. I think i read that the sugar content is way higher once they turn. My deer still rarely dig them up though and actually eat the turnip.
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:44 am

Josh , don't worry , my deer are stupid also Very Happy Very Happy !! Yes they ate some of the tops , maybe 20-25% but that's it. They never touched one single turnip as far as I could see. I even waited until just before rifle season and pulled some , cut them open thinking maybe once they got a smell and tried one or two they would tear them up. Nothing !! Yes it was something new and after years of clover and other plots plus the usual farmland corn and beans they just wanted nothing to do with them.
As far as planting , I was around 2 weeks early to what they say. But I go by weather more than planting dates. Just like now , I have had 2 plots ready for seed , but no rain .
But you need a frost or two or a few to really get the sugar content to start flowing , which around here anymore doesn't hit until the late season.
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum