What's up with the weeds?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What's up with the weeds?

Post  chukbuk on Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:09 am

The regular visitors to my backyard feeder have been covered in "hitchhikers" (the little seed pods usually stuck to your hunting pants).  I'm sure the deer are seeking refuge in an area thick with them but wonder if there is another motive.  Some have them stuck to their face and head...including the weed stems.  They don't seem bothered by it and I have not seen any try and rub them off.  
      The flies are terrible and I was thinking that maybe the weed gives them some relief or bedding in the weeds helps somehow.  What do you think?  I'll check the trailcams to see if I have any pics with "weedy" deer!
chukbuk
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Re: What's up with the weeds?

Post  Boss Gobbler on Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:06 pm

If they are anything like me, all I have to do is walk 100 yards and have 100 million on me. Laughing Laughing
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:55 pm

I can't say that I have ever seen many on a deer. I know the doe I shot last year had zero on her , but I must be like Boss cause I spent an hour plucking all the "hitchhikers" off my clothes and I walked the exact same way she did while trailing her !!! Maybe its a new bug repellant we don't know about Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  soil on Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:24 pm

I get pics every summer of deer with weeds stuck to them. Not sure I've ever had a good buck with it so I doubt I have any pics to show.
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:32 am

Boss Gobbler wrote:If they are anything like me, all I have to do is walk 100 yards and have 100 million on me. Laughing Laughing
 You got that right  boss,
 CB,  The  deer are always  full of  stick tight's this time of year, As  far as if  they  serve some  kind of   purpose   for   fly relieve on  deer , I have no  Idea, 
 I  flat out   hate  the  darn things Wink

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  chukbuk on Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:05 am

It seems the horse flies are enormous this summer!  I wonder if the deer get in the sticky weeds cause the big flies avoid them there.  Watching the young bucks last evening, their antler tips are a favorite spot for the flies.  Rough time to be a deer I'm sure, they can't relax for a moment!
chukbuk
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum