How do you get permission?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How do you get permission?

Post  Boss Gobbler on Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:01 pm

I have never had to actually ask anyone I didnt know if I could hunt. How do you go about it? Heres the situation, I found a giant by accident. He is living right under everyones nose. He is living on a good sized farm, but the farm backs into a subdivision. This buck a long with 3 more in the 140 range are eating clover every evening at 8pm in the undeveloped part of the subdivision. I already know where he comes and goes from. The deer beds in a finger, and walks straight down a farm road to the clover. He enters and leaves on his road.This deer is very killable on his current pattern  The problem is the farmer lives back a lane that has a gate to keep you from going up to his door. I took some pics of this deer I think he could be over 180, so he is worth any headache of trying to hunt him.
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Re: How do you get permission?

Post  soil on Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:06 pm

I just be myself, friendly, offering to help with anything they need help with. Obviously you have to come right out and ask for permission to hunt at some point. I think the single best piece of advice I could give is to approach him on a day that you have nothing planned and stay and visit as long as he wants to. I stayed for an hour and a half at a guys house a few weeks ago just listening to him tell stories just to get permission to hang a camera. Lol.   I'd be surprised if a deer that size has gone unnoticed by other hunters in the area.
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  soil on Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:07 pm

Forgot to add........,a roll of summer sausage in the winter to every person who has given me permission.
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:24 pm

He is in a spot that no one would ever expect him to be. I have lived here my whole life and drive past the spot twice a day. I made a wrong turn while working one day and found him. I have been given verbal permission by the home builder who has the land contracted where the clover is. I am in the process of obtaining written permission. The problem is that it is probably 10-15 acres that is mostly cleared. If I were to shoot him there I am 100% positive he would head to the farm. With a deer that size it isnt even worth hunting him unless all things are in order. I want written permission from the farmer and the builder, no deer is worth someone changing their mind once the deer is dead. I want to have my ass completely covered.
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  soil on Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:28 pm

That's definitely a good thing to get in today's world!  Covering all bases is very smart of you.
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:08 am

Something like that, if I didn't trust the builder I'd try to just get a text from him confirming that you're good to go. For the farmer, just go ask him. The worst thing that will happen is he say's no. You just have to try to read their personality and agree with them about everything. If you have permission to hunt the ground were the buck is and can't get permission to hunt the farm, I'd hunt him where I can and worry about tracking him after you shoot him. I don't think I'd be walking away from him because I'm making scenarios up in my head that may not even happen. If this buck is hanging out where you didn't expect him, he may head somewhere after a shot that you don't expect either.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:13 am

Vic, I wish I could post an aerial photo of the place, but there are some very distinctive features that would give the location away. I will try to set it up though so you can get a picture. The houses in the subdivision run around this field in an L shape, but the way they set with the elevation only one house could possibly see the field.  Then up the other side of the field is interstate, but it goes up a really steep hill to get to it. Basically where he is, he is boxed in on all sides but where the farm is. So unless I could get lucky and have him go down in 50 yards or less he will make it back to the farm. I went last night and saw him again he has been in the same spot every evening at exactly 8:30. He hangs on the NW corner of the field. It would be easy to get him, there are 2- 25' tall mounds of dirt with grass on them and he walks right past them everytime.
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:42 pm

Well then get out in your yard and start practicing. Put a double lung hit on him and and if he's not down in 50 yards he won't go much farther. And if he does, play dumb and just go ask permission to get him. Just play it as if he's an ordinary scrub buck and get him out without letting anyone seeing where you got him. Wink I wish you best in getting on him.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:01 pm

He's a farmer so try not to bother him during his busy times LOL...but a man behind a locked gate doesn't usually want to be bothered...If you happen to catch his gate open take advantage of that and be sincere.  Introduce yourself and just start a conversation with him/her.  Complement him on his property.  Again just be sincere.  If you catch him in the barn offer to pick up a pitch fork and spread some straw or better yet clear out some gutters while ya talk to him.  If its milking time ask him if he can show you how much grain to give each cow...as your going along ask him about himself and how its been for him there.  Let him start talking about things.  Maybe he'll mention the deer himself...I'm sure he knows why you stopped.  
I have found it never is in your best interest to just go right in and asked permission as the door is still swinging open...never works!  In your talk make sure you mention your passion for bow hunting and quickly follow that up with your growing hobby of trail cam photography...let the conversation go from there.  This whole thing could take 10 minutes or you could be there half the day if things go well!  Happens to me every year!!
You have to go with your gut and make this an investment not just a quick hit.  If it doesn't feel right and you don't feel like its right to ask yet offer to come back in a couple days if he could use a hand with anything and tell him you would like to bring some of your trail cam photos.  
I have waited a whole year to come back and talk to land owners after leaving deciding that it was not the right time yet...Nothing wrong with talking to strangers just to say hi...I never want to push something onto a landowner when it does not feel natural/right.

Good luck
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Godfather on Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:19 am

This is a tough situation being that the season is so close. If it were me then I would just be up front and ask permission face to face with the farmer if possible. Even if he doesn't let you hunt his property just ask if you could at least retrieve a deer from his land if you need to. Hopefully the outcome would be favorable for you. I would not at all tell the farmer the type of deer that you are after though as you know for sure that you won't end up being the only person after this buck. Chances are you won't be anyways. I'm sure things are different where you hunt, but in my area there aren't any secret spots. You just have to be lucky enough to gain permission. Good luck with gaining permission and more importantly getting this buck on the ground!
Godfather
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:32 pm

This is one thing I love about Pa. , I have only ever been told no 1 time. That was the property next to the farm we used to hunt. He would not let us hunt but if we hit a deer and it went onto his land , we could always go in after it.
My advice , don't beat around the bush , just ask. You have a 50/50 shot at it. Yes the offer to help always helps and so on. I always said , I don't want to waste your time talking about things , unless you want to , but I would like to know how you feel about hunting your property. Even if I was told no , I always left my name and phone number for them , just in case they needed help with something down the road .
Yes even in Pa. it is getting harder to get a yes , but Thank God it is nothing like the Midwest , where the big buck and lease craze has yet to get here. If I had to pay a high cost per acre to hunt , I would buy my own land !!!!
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:08 pm

Pa. Bowhunter wrote:This is one thing I love about Pa. , I have only ever been told no 1 time. That was the property next to the farm we used to hunt. He would not let us hunt but if we hit a deer and it went onto his land , we could always go in after it.
My advice , don't beat around the bush , just ask. You have a 50/50 shot at it. Yes the offer to help always helps and so on. I always said , I don't want to waste your time talking about things , unless you want to , but I would like to know how you feel about hunting your property. Even if I was told no , I always left my name and phone number for them , just in case they needed help with something down the road .
Yes even in Pa. it is getting harder to get a yes , but Thank God it is nothing like the Midwest , where the big buck and lease craze has yet to get here. If I had to pay a high cost per acre to hunt , I would buy my own land !!!!

The problem here is starting to be, people with a ton of money come in and buy up farms and shut down hunting or put horses on them and dont want you hunting. I personally have a neighbor at the farm that has owned land next to mine for all 16 years that I have had it. I know better than to even ask to trail a deer that crosses her fence. Luckily it hasnt happened, but about 2-3 times a year she tries to ruin my hunt. She is convinced that I am going to shoot one of her horses eventhough my farm is 10x bigger than hers. All of the old time farmers went out with the tobacco and were replaced by stuck up rich people.
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:59 pm

I also know all too well about the rich people buying up land !! That's why I see some land going for UNREAL prices !! Like $75,000 for ONE acre !!! The guy bought it and put up some townhouses . Or the 88 acres across the road from my driveway selling for 1.7 million , when the guy bought it he paid $385,000 .
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:08 am

Listening to what has worked for people, You will have to read him when you met him and play it as it goes.  I personally look at it as building a foundation...if you don't want to take the time and you just want someone to give you something for nothing...
Putting myself in the landowner's shoes, I would take that personally every time. 
Either way good luck.  It's nice that you have your farm to fall back on.
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  chukbuk on Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:01 am

The gated long driveway is where I am stuck.  Have a property nearby that I would love to hunt that is similar...the house is way back a long lane and posted.  I figure if I go in to ask, they will already be angry that I ignored the poster...I would be!  A friend also has a large property with a cable across the lane, few things anger him more than someone ignoring the sign and coming up his lane though he is a very nice man and would probably give permission to hunt if one could meet him without trespassing first!
      I have considered (but yet to do), printing a postcard note with my picture that introduces myself, tell that I am an ethical bow hunter and ask if I could meet them and discuss gaining permission to hunt.  I do think offering some work in exchange for the privilege would at least increase the chance of a yes.
       Hypocritical advice as I need to do it myself but another year will pass and I have not yet!  I hope you do!
chukbuk
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:32 pm

I'm still on the fence about the gate also Chuk. Myself , if I had land with a home and had a gate on it , that's your clue to stay out Very Happy !! Maybe find a way to the person , other than going thru the gate .
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  chukbuk on Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:11 am

Had this thought yesterday...what about talking to the UPS or postman (which might be easy if they are the ones who deliver to you), who delivers to the farm?  They might at least be able to give some info as to how friendly the owners are!
chukbuk
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:54 am

Caught the farmer out fixing fence yesterday and stopped. I worked and talked with him about 2 hours. He said there had been about 8 people leave notes in his mailbox. He said that his son hunts the property so he didnt allow anyone else. I told him that I also had a farm and knew that it could be aggravating dealing with people asking to hunt. I then explained that I understood it though because it is extremely hard to find a place to hunt. After I helped fix his fence he said, he would talk to his son and see if he cared if I hunted also. I gave him my name and number. I told him even if he says no, have him call me. I figure even if I dont get to hunt the deer maybe I can point him in the right direction. I figure if nothing else maybe it will give me some good karma.  Laughing On a side note I haven't seen the deer in about a 3 days. Last night I went out there and there were 2 other trucks sitting there. I called the developer this morning and he said that the sheriff talked to him friday and asked him to block the road off because people had complained that people had been going in and out all night.  So who knows maybe I will get a crack at him or maybe some JA already popped him.
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  soil on Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:44 pm

I had a feeling a deer that size doesn't go unnoticed even in the most remote spots. Not around here anyway. I'd say you did the right thing by visiting and helping him a while. Hopefully something good comes of it or as you said, a little karma gets repaid in your favor.
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCReW on Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:26 pm

Interesting chain of events, I hope it works out in your favor one way or another! You sure did the right thing in your approach, that's about all you can do.

TheCReW
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum