seed rate for purple top turnips

View previous topic View next topic Go down

seed rate for purple top turnips

Post  soil on Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:10 pm

what have you guys had luck with as far as pounds per acre for turnip only plots?  i was checking online and there seems to be a huge range as far as the recommended seed rate for purple top turnips.  i'm hoping to get my clover and turnip plots in as well as a small alfafla 'test plot' this weekend if my father in law has the ground worked up and ready.
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Re: seed rate for purple top turnips

Post  bowGal on Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:37 pm

Usually 4 to 6 pound  per  acre  ,  I  went with   5lb's  per acre  this  year, Checked  a few  plots today, and they are   just   coming out of the  ground, planted  them last weekend.
cheers
Josh next year, I   want to send you this  winfield  mix   we use  every year, Brassica  blend,  our  deer love it, better then  turnips actually, It does have   turnips in the  mix, but they   do not  get  very  big at all verse  the purple top, And actually  we have great hunts over this  mix early season,  It is the  same 4-6 lb's per acre as far as solo planting goes,

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  soil on Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:27 pm

I should definitely check into that mix, Barb.  Like I've said, our deer don't seem to hit the turnips at all. But, I'm putting them in 2 spots just because they are cheap and I am wanting to put beans in these two spots next year so I figure the turnips will be good for loosening the soil a bit and putting a little organic matter in for the beans next year.
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum