I have mixed feeling on this.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I have mixed feeling on this.

Post  bowGal on Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:14 pm

Our lease owners  son wants  some of the  crp on the north lease  taken out to put in a  few more hayfields   in the next year or two,   Man this is one of   farovite spots on the  north lease so  I am   really hoping it does not  mess up the deer hunting, That is  alot of  cover /crp to be taken out,
 His  dad is not to happy about it,   he feels the same way we do  for  leaving it for cover for   the wildlife, Crying or Very sad
 Larry got started on it today, and  yes  I ran over  and got  a camera set up,  and will be adding  lots more tomorrow, Wink  I am  sure the  deer are loving the  new paths tonight but  not  sure they will  like it when  all those  tall grasses are gone, Man they browse in that  crp  alll year long, Hopefully it  will push them over here  to our CRP  and the CRP on the  south lease side

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Re: I have mixed feeling on this.

Post  Boss Gobbler on Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:28 pm

The #1 best thing I did for improving my farm for trying to grow bigger deer was put the tractor away.
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:10 pm

So close to season too... ouch
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:38 am

What kind of hay field is talking about? Alfalfa? Or just some orchard and timothy? I think as long as your deer still have safe bedding and it don't increase the pressure too much it could make it easier for you to know where your deer are bedding. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:45 pm

Barb , what I see right now is an awesome spot for a groundblind hidden off to the side. Why worry about next year when its time to think about now !! Plus it will help anything on the edge grow , you could have a hot spot for a year or two.
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  chukbuk on Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:10 pm

Most of the deer will adapt fairly quickly to the change.  The big old bucks, the change might throw them off their habits.  You know better than all of us....that's a different beast.  Maybe it will help movement in other areas  of your property.
chukbuk
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:57 pm

Well Barb , I'm sure you put a camera or two or three in this spot !!! So what are you seeing ??? And did you get your groundblind set up and brushed in ???
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:00 pm

I had to do some mowing last weekend. I figured it would mess the deer up for a few days at least. They were out that evening like nothing happened, even the old smart ones. Laughing
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:39 am

Boss I see the same thing , but usually if I'm out mowing the clover close to sunset I will have deer in one freshly mowed spot while I'm mowing one of the others. They act like I'm not there , unless I stop and try to take their picture !!! Maybe I should hunt from my JD Very Happy Very Happy
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:39 pm

Pa. Bowhunter wrote:Well Barb , I'm sure you put a camera or two or three in this spot !!! So what are you seeing ??? And did you get your groundblind set up and brushed in ???
 Rick   got one  blind in over the weekend  but not on the new  mowed area's,  I  wanted in on a  different field edge for the  first   3 week's of  OCt, only.
 Things  have bee slow over there were Larry took out the  CRP and   Tree's.   Turkey's, yote's and  bobcats are loving it,tho. It has  been a year  from heck trying to  find the bucks but   finally   crop fields are  just now  starting to to get cut,in our  area,
 We  will be  planting   wheat here soon in the  mowed area's, not the  entire  fields  , just along the  timber edge's,  and yes  I had the guys put me in a  new  portiable stand over there also Wink
 I actually only have one camera over there right now, pulled the other  2 over the weekend

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top