Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Re: A Place to talk " Smack talk and Deer Updates "

Post  soil on Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:30 pm

Thanks for getting everything set up, Barb. 

Good luck everyone!  But especially good luck to team 2!
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Willy on Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:32 pm

I watched Houdini last night a half hour before dark. He came on the alfalfa with another older buck. Houdini is huge. he is polished up now too. I am thinking I may have to go in and sit next week when season opens. This guy will be a ghost as soon as he senses season is open and he is being hunted.
Willy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DMW97 on Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:14 pm

Close but no cigar, tonight started out with 4 does and 3 fawns at corn and then the Wide 8 and a smaller buck came in pushed em out. Jacob and I sat there for a few watchin them and then we heard a crunch behind us it was bitty 2 (the 6x5) walked right under us at 5 yards got almost to a lane I could shoot and stepped off the other way think he was a little skiddish cuz the tree was movin where I was getting situated. But he just walked off 40yards made a scrape and went the other way. we waited for him to come back but all we got was a hard horn 8, that wide short tined one and smaller buck so id say if we are lucky he will be back in the AM if not definitely in the afternoon. cool expiernce though lets just say he is A LOT bigger in person. Jacob managed to get some footage of him but he was freakin out seeings how he was spitting distance under him lol
DMW97
Pope & Young
Pope & Young

http://ctdoutdoors.wix.com/ctdoutdoors

Back to top Go down

Post  soil on Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:51 am

I hope you can slide in and get him before he's tipped off willy.
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:12 am

Had an odd east wind yesterday, we never get an east wind. It was perfect to go in after my #1 and #2 bucks. There were several bucks using the area. I really want to hold out for my #1 buck ,a buck I call NWO.  I had kinda decided I would shot my #2 buck if he was still in velvet. They had been there almost every night so I thought it was almost a sure thing. I didn't see a single buck.  I guess sometimes even when everything is  right,  they just know you are there. LOL
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  catfish willy on Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:40 am

Opening weekend was pretty slow. First morning I'm pretty sure I seen two before it got good shooting light and nothing after that. That afternoon seen nothing and slept in yesterday morning. Yesterday afternoon though I had a young red fox playing around for 45 minutes. He was just chasing birds and then laid down in the mineral hole rolling around. He finally left then seen two does cross the hillside about 150 yards but when they hit the hay field they ran across. A little later I seen a coyote come out across the opposite side so that might've been what spooked them.
catfish willy
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:50 pm

Best of luck Willy  if you   head out   to hunt  Hondini  next week,
 Shoot  we are just  finally going to  start  stand work this weekend, Buddy Bob is coming in, 
 I  am really not  doing very  good at all , on the pain level scale,  But you  can bet your  butt  I will be  begging the surgeon to    take me off   the  Sept 28th  surgery schedule, 
   I might comit  to it   in late  Dec, but  I so do not want to miss  any  Nov, hunt's Crying or Very sad
 Been a  horrible  year for  trail cam pic's , To  many  other  large crop fields to contend with,  let alone all these lush   Greens  Everywhere,  On a good note,  The  area  Larry  cleared on the north lease, We   got   permission to  plant in  winter wheat this  month,!!!!!! cheers

Nikon
Hoyt Element
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:53 pm

Good Luck to anyone out hunting !! I know my butt wouldn't be in a tree and definitely not in a blind with this weather !!! Its been over 90 for the last 4 days and humid as all he!! !!!!!!
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  kyhunter123 on Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:08 pm

I haven't even hunted yet! lol. I was at davids until yesterday. And probably going back over there tomorrow. We had 2 encounters with Bitty 2. one very close 5 yard encounter and he came in to 30 the next afternoon with 4 other bucks... There was no way to move. We haven't spooked him yet. He was at the corn yesterday morning so i think it will be fine if he doesn't change anything when he sheds his velvet. I dont think he is going to get pushed out of that area. He owns every deer around there. Other deer run from him at sight of him.... Its calling for mid 40s this weekend. So maybe that will be the time he makes a mistake! We have seen almost every deer he has on camera but a few. Willy (Big 9 or 10) has not showed since Saturday night. So maybe Bitty 2 pushed him around already. But he wasn't much of a regular as bitty 2 is so he is probably staying on the 40 acre safe haven next door eating acorns.

Here's a short clip of him.
kyhunter123
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:51 am

cheers cheers  Finally our  weekend of  stand work has arrived, Bob  got in last night,  , We did  take  a deer drive, Saw  quite a few doe's and  fawns,  One buck to  our south side  and  one   buck   in the new cleared area on the north lease, we could not  make him out tho,
 We got hammered with  Heavy rain's last night , So that might  stink from trying to get across the creek  to some of the stands   this morning, cause we  will take   a quad up the logging road when it is  wet.
Oh I am really   excited,  Larry  spent yesterday morning on the skid steer   cutting  paths  in the timber  to  some  of our  stands, The  deer are going to love these!!!!!!!!!,  I will get some  pictures taken today,  that and of  course   need to get  many camera's set up on them.
Wink

Nikon
Hoyt Element
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  kyhunter123 on Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:25 am

Since David hasn't filled anyone in.... Bitty 2 was shot last night. By david... he came into 6-7 yards and smelt where we came In. Then came to the base of the tree and smelt where we came in again. He got nervous and went to leave. David had to squeeze a shot off through a tree at just a few yards. Pretty much a straight down shot. We gave him 2 hours and got my dad, brother, and willy to go look we found half the arrow with very little blood. The arrow has good blood on it with bubbles in it... I'm confident the deer is dead but he ran into the thickest stuff iv ever seen... heading back in a few to look in daylght.... Hope we find him
kyhunter123
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  soil on Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:44 am

Good luck finding him.
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:05 am

Probably only got one lung. They can live for several hours and some can even survive it.If you didn't push him to far you should be able to find him later today. Good luck
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:52 pm

DAng, Good luck finding him guys. Keep us posted

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  DMW97 on Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:08 pm

Jake will and I went back and looked this 40acre plot over for 7hrs today nothin. Still have half arrow caked in blood and few small blood drops. Willys dad has a friend that has a dog that tracks deer very high success rate and is comin by in the mornin..... oh I hope we find this deer you have no idea
DMW97
Pope & Young
Pope & Young

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:50 pm

Hope you find him man. Do you think there was an exit hole? If not that could be why you didn't find much blood. Hopefully he just crawled up in the thicket and the dog finds him.
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  DMW97 on Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:55 pm

Boss Gobbler wrote:Hope you find him man. Do you think there was an exit hole? If not that could be why you didn't find much blood. Hopefully he just crawled up in the thicket and the dog finds him.
Almost postive no exit hole.. hit eaither that front shoulder or bisque as it went sraight down in him and hut so hard it pushed my nock out about half way.. found arrow about 60 yards away started finding a lil blood bout 40yards from that.hes definitely got a broken rib or 2 and the blood on the half arrow we found was bubbly so might got one lung. I have 29inches arrows and blood all the way to fletchings..good penetration
DMW97
Pope & Young
Pope & Young

Back to top Go down

Post  soil on Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:22 pm

those straight down shots are torture when you don't get that exit hole on bottom.  sounds like you got some vitals and he should bleed internally and expire but it sure makes for tough tracking.  i had one like that who i shot at about 5 steps straight down, he ran about 60 yards and tipped over.  i went back to the house and got help, when we came back it was dark and we tried to find a bloodtrail from where i hit him and there wasn't a drop.  luckily i had seen him fall.  hopefully the dog does well for you!  wishing you luck in the recovery.  did you get the shot on video?
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  DMW97 on Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:58 pm

soil wrote:  hopefully the dog does well for you!  wishing you luck in the recovery.  did you get the shot on video?
Thanks and we'll of course! Lol its not the greatest tho really because he was right under us and jacob had to video though leaves with manual focus and I had to squeeze the arrow through baseball Size hole
DMW97
Pope & Young
Pope & Young

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:19 pm

I'm feeling sick for you. I'm sure sleeping tonight won't be real easy. If you got down any where close to the front of the heart that deer is laying in there. Did you watch for buzzards???? Good luck with the dog.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  kyhunter123 on Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:47 am

Here is a clip of the shot. What does everyone think??
kyhunter123
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:58 am

It looks like it's in the right area. To me it almost looks like the arrow was coming in at a slight angle and skipped off the spine and angled the arrow straight down.  The arrows trajectory  looks a little angled but the arrow is sticking straight up out of his back. Either way I say dead buck.

Last edited by Boss Gobbler on Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:42 pm; edited 3 times in total
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  MEhunter on Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:16 pm

Damn! Like Vic said, I'm feeling sick for you. Really hope you can recover the deer!

I was able to get a couple screen shots from the footage right around when the arrow hit and when he took his first jump. It looks like you're in right next to the spine, but the angle is hard to tell.

MEhunter
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  DMW97 on Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:11 pm

Well yall we searched one last time today tried to cover ever inch of the neighboring  40acres he went t...it's so think in there sometimes you can't see 10 foot from ya..we were supposed to have a dog out there yesterday and today guy said he'd do it but both times when time came he'd ignore his phone so whatever... I can't tell you how sissapointed I am. I made what we thought was a decently good shot.. first buck I'd ever taken with a bow and 2nd buck I'd ever decided to shoot at..this deer was big..trail cam pics didn't seem to give him any justice I had pictures of him last year figured I'd give him another year so I did and he was a beauty this year had 3 encounters all together in the last week all bein between 5-25yards... 5 yard mark twice.. it sucks I really hope the hole clocked in top of his back and what really happened was when the arrow hit it nicked the spine then shot off and hit the ball of that shoulder then went straight up and down missing all his vitals keepin him alive but I think it's very unlikely. Only time will tell I checked camera last 3 days and that wide giant 8 that we think is 3 has been in every morning almost debating to take a crack at him or wait..willy the deer that was unnin with bitty 2 hasn't shown since he was in velvet 4 days before season so idk what happen there.. last weeknds been rough appreciate all the help jacob and willy even though we came up with nothin. I'll be watching for buzzards next few days
DMW97
Pope & Young
Pope & Young

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: