A Place to talk " Smack talk and Deer Updates "

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: A Place to talk " Smack talk and Deer Updates "

Post  Mountainman Vic on Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:37 pm

shedder wrote:
kyhunter123 wrote:I thought season was supposed to get better?? Didn't see a thing this morning. And checked cameras on the way out like I do every day and had 2 deer on 3 cameras all night. I have no idea what's going on... usually I have 5-6 bucks on scrapes every night.

Lock down??

According to Alsheimer’s Lunar Calendar, major seeking behavior should pick up around October 20th and continue until around October 27th, when major chasing should begin. This peak in visible rutting activity will continue until around November 3rd when the tending phase should be kicking into gear and continue through the 10th

If you tend to listen to Charley A anyway...
Not a chance. Charley has been proven so wrong, so many times. You just gotta be at the right place at the right time. PA hunting Facebookers are dropping them like crazy.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:02 pm

Come on Vic , don't be so hard on Charlie !! He is the only "expert" I even think about listening to , mainly because he is just up the road from us and isn't all about those Midwest deer. So what if he is only right around 80% of the time , the weathermen are only right about 10% of the time and we listen to them!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Of course I don't really care what anybody says , if its deer season I'm in a tree or blind each chance I get. This October lull and/or lockdown is BS , the deer will still eat , still drink and still do what they want , not what we want them to do. You can't shoot one from the couch !!!
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:10 pm

So ready for the   weekend  cool down, This  heat  sucks,  Larry saw  a good buck  chasing right at  last light, He could not  make him out,  but  I think it  was this  real sweet  8 we have this  year,  He has  good  G2's and 3's with  decent mass,   I had   2  small bucks on  one  doe, They   chased a little and then  fed, no  sign of brutus on the camera's  a pulled on the way in, I hunted the  lower fields across the  creek, larry sat the   timber below the pond area,

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:41 pm

We had the windows in the house open last night. This morning at 5am, while I was getting ready for work I could hear one heck of a buck fight behind the house .  I went down there this evening to hunt thinking maybe there was a hot doe in the area. I only saw 1 buck he kept running in and out of a honeysuckle patch, don't have any idea what he was doing.
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:28 pm

Slow, slow, slow here. I took a drive with the spotlight and saw nearly 100 doe and 0 mature bucks. Little bucks a sparing and pestering but no serious rut activity.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:44 pm

Boss I had the same thing Monday night. Around 1 a.m. my dogs were barking up a storm. So I went outside to yell at them and I heard some major fighting. And of course Tuesday evening I get what used to be a decent 8 on camera with only his right side still on his head. Not sure what he tangled with , but his left side is busted off about 2 inches above his head. Heres hoping today is the last 70+ degree day I see until april !!!!!!
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  chukbuk on Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:26 am

Went out to check the sausage on the grill and could hear antlers clicking together up in the woods.  Shined my flashlight up and two sets of eyes shined back at me.  They were near a cam...maybe got a few pics!
chukbuk
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  VABuckSlayer on Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:01 am

Mountainman Vic wrote:
shedder wrote:
kyhunter123 wrote:I thought season was supposed to get better?? Didn't see a thing this morning. And checked cameras on the way out like I do every day and had 2 deer on 3 cameras all night. I have no idea what's going on... usually I have 5-6 bucks on scrapes every night.

Lock down??

According to Alsheimer’s Lunar Calendar, major seeking behavior should pick up around October 20th and continue until around October 27th, when major chasing should begin. This peak in visible rutting activity will continue until around November 3rd when the tending phase should be kicking into gear and continue through the 10th

Not a chance. Charley has been proven so wrong, so many times. You just gotta be at the right place at the right time. PA hunting Facebookers are dropping them like crazy.

So far in our area Alsheimers calendar has been spot on. Bucks were definitely seeking from around the 20th to the end of the month and have been chasing hard from about late October to Nov. 1st. Things have slowed down a bit right now.
VABuckSlayer
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  kyhunter123 on Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:03 am

VABuckSlayer wrote:
Mountainman Vic wrote:
shedder wrote:

Lock down??

So far in our area Alsheimers calendar has been spot on. Bucks were definitely seeking from around the 20th to the end of the month and have been chasing hard from about late October to Nov. 1st. Things have slowed down a bit right now.
I haven't seen any chasing. And only small bucks messing with does when they get close to them. Iv seen smaller bucks walking around nose down but yet to see a deer older than 3. No chaseing. And scrapes are now ghost towns. I'm legit gettin MAYBE 1 deer walking by a camera a night... I'm clueless right now.
kyhunter123
Booner
Booner

http://ctdoutdoors.wix.com/ctdoutdoors

Back to top Go down

Post  catfish willy on Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:02 am

I had the big brow tined 7 point at 20 yards this morning. He walked out at 30 and worked his way to 20 before turning and walking straight down the holler. Grunted at him and he would stop and look but kept going. He zig zagged down it at a pretty fast walk so I guess he could smell a doe I couldn't see. There was a small buck walked out in the edge of the hay field and he ran him off but then went straight back to the thick stuff. I was kinda on the fence about shooting him before. Probably would've because I think he looked pretty cool and I've never seen another buck around here with brows like his. As soon as I seen him though he looked nicer than he did in the pictures. If he would've walked another 10-15 feet before he turned he would've gave me a clear broadside shot but thats not how it worked out. I tried to get a few pictures of him when he was down the holler but it was thick and close to 200 yards away so this was the only one that turned out half way decent.

catfish willy
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  catfish willy on Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:34 pm

I guess it was national sight your gun in and hang your stand while willy hunts day. I seen 5 people hanging stands on the two property's surrounding where I hunt. Kinda sucks there will be 6 gun hunters wrapped around where I hunt there is no way these deer will make it across the hay field without getting shot. To ight I had one doe bust me. Didn't even know she was there but she caught my wind and took off. Right at last light I hear some crashing and seen a buck cutting through the little wood lot behind me. I could tell it was a buck but wasn't sure who he was. Tomorrow is gonna be another hot day in the 70s and rain all day but Saturday is gonna be like a high of 50. Hopefully something happens this last week before gun season
catfish willy
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:15 pm

I will say  Charles was  spot on for our  area, got a couple  mature bucks tending, I have Said for  the past  2 days  we were in lockdown! Mad
 To much to update for now ,  heading back out  after a bite to eat.

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:46 pm

kyhunter123 wrote:
VABuckSlayer wrote:
Mountainman Vic wrote:
shedder wrote:

Lock down??

I haven't seen any chasing. And only small bucks messing with does when they get close to them. Iv seen smaller bucks walking around nose down but yet to see a deer older than 3. No chaseing. And scrapes are now ghost towns. I'm legit gettin MAYBE 1 deer walking by a camera a night... I'm clueless right now.
It sounds like what you are describing with the lack of mature bucks and zero scrape activity would have me thinking the bucks have took off in search of love or are in the middle of love.  Rattling with a doe estrous bleat and/or rattling with a doe decoy could have you enjoying your most exciting hunt ever!!
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:47 pm

bowGal wrote:I will say  Charles was  spot on for our  area, got a couple  mature bucks tending, I have Said for  the past  2 days  we were in lockdown! Mad
 To much to update for now ,  heading back out  after a bite to eat.

Stick with it Barb...You only have to catch the big guy between dates!!!
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  kyhunter123 on Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:28 pm

shedder wrote:
kyhunter123 wrote:
VABuckSlayer wrote:
Mountainman Vic wrote:
shedder wrote:

Lock down??

It sounds like what you are describing with the lack of mature bucks and zero scrape activity would have me thinking the bucks have took off in search of love or are in the middle of love.  Rattling with a doe estrous bleat and/or rattling with a doe decoy could have you enjoying your most exciting hunt ever!!
What is considered Mature? Lol. I had 3 or 4, 4 yr olds on scrapes usually. Hopefully the warm weather had them down.
kyhunter123
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:03 pm

I'm not sure...I would think if it was the warm weather then you would be getting some activity in the cooling of the night over your scrape cams.  
Since they are completely dead I would think about hunting either a doe bedding area or a funnel feature connecting two wood lots.
Evening field hunts can be amazing if you have a solid exit that won't blow the deer out of the field. Bucks will check and harass every doe in the field...all you need is one doe to give off the slightest whiff and your golden! 
It's possible your scrapes were secondary and not primary scrapes?  That's what makes this so great...it's not easy!
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:00 pm

kyhunter123 wrote:
shedder wrote:
kyhunter123 wrote:
VABuckSlayer wrote:
Mountainman Vic wrote:
shedder wrote:

Lock down??

What is considered Mature? Lol. I had 3 or 4, 4 yr olds on scrapes usually. Hopefully the warm weather had them down.

I wouldnt be real worried yet. I have hunted 3 days this week, I have seen bucks, but I dont feel like they are rutting yet. For a few reasons, I still have a 4 and 5 year old running together and  all of the big bucks I have seen are moving very cautiously checking field edges. I havent seen any moving with their head down with the glazed look in their eye. I think it could kick up this weekend. I recently went through all of my telecheck harvest back to 1999 which is when I bought the farm. During Nov. I have killed 1 buck on Nov. 6th all the rest were between the 11-22. On Nov 12, 16 and 17 I have killed 3 bucks on each of those days. So at least from my experience the chasing part of the rut doesnt happen until the 2nd week of Nov. every year on my farm.
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:54 pm

This heat has things all screwed up !! After checking my cameras today , because I said screw it , its 78 degrees and its a good day to catch up work around the house , most movement has been zero from an average of 9:15 am until it got back down into the mid 50's , which has been well after dark all week. The only area I don't know about is the northern part because I stay out of that area unless we are on a bloodtrail.
Now since some want to pick on Charlie Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I went back to my notes. Since the year 2001 he has been all but right on the money for all but 3 years. Translate into a baseball batting average and you would be King of baseball with a batting average of 800 !!! Now I also know a lot of factors can play into that such as food , deer density and so on. But I also don't really care what they say because I will hunt every chance I get. I have missed 2 days so far , one due to rain and today because of the heat.
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:17 pm

Pa. Bowhunter wrote:This heat has things all screwed up !! After checking my cameras today , because I said screw it , its 78 degrees and its a good day to catch up work around the house , most movement has been zero from an average of 9:15 am until it got back down into the mid 50's , which has been well after dark all week. The only area I don't know about is the northern part because I stay out of that area unless we are on a bloodtrail.
Now since some want to pick on Charlie Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I went back to my notes. Since the year 2001 he has been all but right on the money for all but 3 years. Translate into a baseball batting average and you would be King of baseball with a batting average of 800 !!! Now I also know a lot of factors can play into that such as food , deer density and so on. But I also don't really care what they say because I will hunt every chance I get. I have missed 2 days so far , one due to rain and today because of the heat.

Here is my problem with predicting the rut. Its like forecasting weather. It will seem right for someone somewhere. There are about 21 million deer in the US. You have to believe more than half of those deer are does. So if the moon triggers the does to go into heat that would mean 12 million does would go into heat all at once. I could say that the rut will happen between Oct, 20 and Nov. 28 until the end of time and be batting 1000. Razz If you say Im wrong I will just blame it on heat,buck to doe ratio or hunting pressure in your area. Laughing  It seems there is always a little flurry of action anywhere from Oct, 16-31, then the big show happens the first 3 weeks of Nov., and there will be another little flurry around Dec. 16-20.
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:22 pm

So no to doe bedding area and wooded funnels on Nov 8?
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:53 am

shedder wrote:So no to doe bedding area and wooded funnels on Nov 8?

I dont think anyone who buys a deer tag would say no to that. As someone who lives in the same state I was just giving him some opinions as to why he may not be seeing much movement. That obviously is taken with a grain of salt because they may be dead in one area and on fire a mile away. I am seeing the same thing as him in the same state and figured it could be for the same reason.
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  kyhunter123 on Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:19 am

My dad knocked down a deer I called Baby Toes this morning. I have posted pictures of him since last year. Only a 3year old but he would have never been normal and he don't get to hunt to much. It's the deer with the normal 5point side and the spike on the other. Came into a doe bleat and seen another buck behind some does. I didn't see a deer and I was sitting in between 2 thickets. Will get some pictures up when I can.
kyhunter123
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:26 am

Boss,
I hope you didn't take my question negatively! As someone who is trying to learn the KY deer behaviors myself for my lease, I was just asking what your thoughts were on the timing of my recommendations.

That's Awesome Jacob!!!! Looks like the cool weather was the ticket...
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:11 am

shedder wrote:Boss,
I hope you didn't take my question negatively! As someone who is trying to learn the KY deer behaviors myself for my lease, I was just asking what your thoughts were on the timing of my recommendations.  

That's Awesome Jacob!!!! Looks like the cool weather was the ticket...

I thought your advice was dead on. Right now my deer are checking food and field edges late evening and running ridge tops of a morning. From my experiences, Ky deer will run scrapes until around Halloween. Then the first week of November they will start seeking and abandon scrapes for the most part. I think does come into heat between Oct 15 and the end of Nov. I believe that the more spacing there is between the does coming into heat, the more wild activity you see. If 6 or 7 does in the same area are in heat at once the activity will seem lower. On my farm every year around Oct. 19 there will be a few days of all out crazy chasing. Then it normally dies down for a week. Then in the second week of November anything can happen at any time of the day. Then around Thanksgiving I still see decent activity but it drops off fast. Right now I am sticking to funnels, I am alternating between a strip of woods between two doe bedding areas and an oak ridge top between a bedding area and feed field.

Congrats to your Dad, Jacob cheers Hopefully things are starting to pick up.
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  kyhunter123 on Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:43 pm

My dad's boss came and hunted tonight. He hunted last weekend and had 2 guys shoot a rifle and walk all around him on OUR property. He didn't say anything because they had guns nd he didnt. I went down there the next day and found a chair and beer cans everywhere where they were sitting. I put a no trespassing sign up about 10 foot from it on this side of the fence... Well today he hunted the same stand and about 4:30 I hear BOOM!!. I text him nd he said they just shot a deer right behind him and the deer ran past him on 3 legs. So he starts yelling. Saying some stuff. They never did try to come find the deer. We looked for it but couldn't find it. I may go back tomorrow to look for it. I would love for these guys to get busted....
kyhunter123
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: