A Place to talk " Smack talk and Deer Updates "

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: A Place to talk " Smack talk and Deer Updates "

Post  Boss Gobbler on Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:53 pm

kyhunter123 wrote:My dad's boss came and hunted tonight. He hunted last weekend and had 2 guys shoot a rifle and walk all around him on OUR property. He didn't say anything because they had guns nd he didnt. I went down there the next day and found a chair and beer cans everywhere where they were sitting. I put a no trespassing sign up about 10 foot from it on this side of the fence... Well today he hunted the same stand and about 4:30 I hear BOOM!!. I text him nd he said they just shot a deer right behind him and the deer ran past him on 3 legs. So he starts yelling. Saying some stuff. They never did try to come find the deer. We looked for it but couldn't find it. I may go back tomorrow to look for it. I would love for these guys to get busted....

Its getting pretty stupid around here also. I hunted the very back of the farm today. The booner showed back up on Wednesday. Then my neighbor had gotten him on cam a few days before that. We decided to put some pressure on him in fear of the up coming rifle season.  I hate hunting this area because 3 different properties hit mine in this corner. After walking about two miles in I climb in, about 100 yards from the corner. Our plan was that either one of us would kill him or we would push him deeper toward the middle of the property. At about 2pm one of those neighbors started bush hogging 4 foot tall trees down the fence line. It gets quiet again I think everything will be alright and I can hear a truck coming. Right at prime time they decided they would drive the fence line real slow, up to no good im sure. After they figured there were no deer ,they decided to start doing doughnuts for 20 minutes. Needless to say neither of us saw any deer, it was a total waste. It sucks because the temp and wind direction were perfect for the set.
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:06 am

Things seem to be getting good here. I haven't had much luck yet but the reports of big buck sightings are going up. I had a good 10 go by my one stand on Wednesday but it would have done me any good to be there as he had the wind right in his face.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  catfish willy on Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:09 am

The people that start rifle hunting 2-3 weeks early is exactly what is wrong with Henry county. You call in and the game warden never shows. I really believe since we are zone 1 and supposedly have too many deer they aren't very concerned with people poaching deer. The two biggest bucks I had in camera haven't been back for a little bit so I'm assuming one of the 50 rifle shots I've heard in the last 30 minutes of daylight got him. On the bright side though the buck I had at 20 yards with the huge brows has been pretty regular and the other wimpy three year old has been a nightly visitor. Always there atleast once
catfish willy
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  andyman1983 on Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:38 am

I was able to film and kill this brute ten point last night. Try to get him entered soon.
andyman1983
12 Point
12 Point

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:44 am

Awesome Awesome, Congrats  Andy, and  to  Darin also on his  Iowabuck

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  andyman1983 on Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:59 am

Thanks Barb!
andyman1983
12 Point
12 Point

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:38 am

We all  3 had good hunts this morning  nothing down tho Mad Brutus came out  in front of the blind  I sat last night  after  I left, I am staying  on that  blind for few days

Nikon
Hoyt Element
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  soil on Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:24 pm

Congrats Andy!
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:00 pm

Congrats Andy! Great buck.
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:28 pm

Congrats Andy !!!
Boss , I know what your saying !!! For me , Charlie is the man mainly because yes he does know his stuff and he hunts the same deer I do , not the Midwestern ones. Like Dr. Deer , I will not listen to one thing he says , his deer are Texas deer and we all know they are a totally different critter. Just like the writers who talk about the Midwest , I have said it before , the Midwest deer have hardly a clue what pressure really is. So my prediction for 2016 , the rut will happen Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy !!!
Very happy to see I'm not the only one dealing with total idiots !!! Yesterday I decided to hunt my friends property , since most of my pics by the house are still during the night . About 410 this guy parks , slams 2 doors , makes all kinds of noise walking in. I'm like REALLY !!! Then with about 15 minutes to go , I can hear him walking out , slams both doors again and drives away !!! I really wanted to stop at his house and ask him just what the hell he was doing !! But since its not my land and this bonehead is actually my friends cousin I kept on driving. My friend doesn't like the fact that he is hunting there but won't say a word because his uncle gave him the ok to hunt there 15 years ago !!!
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:00 am

Thats a beauty Andy!  Congrats!!!
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  MEhunter on Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:39 am

Congrats on the buck Andy, he's a beauty!

Been enjoying following this post of everyones season! Almost more exciting reading this than spending most days afield deer hunting up here Very Happy . I hunted in a t shirt on Friday. Today it finally was a little colder though! Pretty sure our deer took a pounding last winter because things are really quiet in the woods. Had a lot of cameras out in areas that always have plenty of deer and I'm getting just about nothing. My NH spot was hot early, but now that the bucks have gone in search of the does it's been dead over there as well. I can't find a doe to save my life in that piece of woods either. 4 cameras up since mid September and I only have one group of 3 does on camera 2 times, 0 other doe pictures. My "main" Maine spot that I never have trouble getting pictures of deer has been so dead. 7 cams since the beginning of October and only 3 small bucks and very minimal does. Checked 5 of the cams last week after a week long soak and 4 of 5 cams didn't even have a picture of a deer on them. I've been in the woods 4 full days and 6 short mornings before work and I have been "lucky" enough to get a look 6 or 7 deer. 4 of which were 1.5 old bucks. Starting Thursday I have 18 of 21 days off and will be sure to pound the woods hard sun up til sun down each day.

MEhunter
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  andyman1983 on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:52 pm

Thank you everyone! Good luck to all
andyman1983
12 Point
12 Point

Back to top Go down

Post  kyhunter123 on Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:25 pm

This afternoon looked awesome. Drizzling with a breeze. I could see my breath.... Seen a doe and 2 yearling which were with her and right at dark 5 outlines of deer.. These deer are the most confusing things iv ever seen. This is the coldest afternoon we have probably had all year. And not one deer was feeding in the cut corn. They were just crossing it.... What will deer eat over cut corn? I thought that was like the best food source when it got cold??
kyhunter123
Booner
Booner

http://ctdoutdoors.wix.com/ctdoutdoors

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:57 pm

Congrats Andy. Nice Buck.

Decided to go all out and head for an area I like that is a 4 mile oneway trek. On the way in I jumped 4 bulls which would have been easy shooting. So then I finally get back to the area I want to hunt and I'm slipping along looking for a good tree to get in and I can't make up my mind because everything is too screwy. So I think I like this one tree but it has a big dead limb on it that I don't want to cut for the noise. So I walk over to look at a white oak and down through the laurel about 130 yards I see a deer. Its feeding and looking back. So I figure I need to get as high in the last tree as I can and just stop at the limb which is about 15 feet. So I start getting ready as quite as I can and get everything set up and start climbing as slow and quite as I can. But you know that those dang climbers going up a maple tree sound just like antlers rubbing the tree. Taking my time I look down through the laurel and there's a full swell neck with 16" of spread and long brow tines looking at me. I freeze and the buck just turns and looks like he's heading down wind. Then I hear a grunt and another deer runs to where the first buck was and then another buck came out of the laurel. So I slowly start climbing again. I look back and here comes a deer. At this point I'm 8' off the ground and it's a dang spike. 3" on one side and a nub on the other. So the stupid thing feed into 40 yards and whats he do??? Beds down face me. So now I'm stuck. 8' off the ground with may arse sticking out from the tree leaning on my climber. So after 20 minutes go by he gets up. Licks himself walks a few yards closer and lays back down. But this time facing away from me and behind a laurel bush. So I give it a try again. I get about two lifts with the stand and he hears something and comes to investigate He walk 15 yards behind me and gets my wind. But he didn't bugger. he just turned and walked away. I started the whole ordeal about 3 and finally had the bow in the stand at almost 4:30. I didn't see anything and at 5 I decided to get down because it was so far out. So I cut the limb on the way down. When that limb crashed so did the hillside. lmbo. I guess either the deer where all laying in there or it was a bear.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  catfish willy on Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:23 pm

Really thought tonight was gonna be great. A lot of my best hunts have been on those cold overcast November afternoons with a slow steady rain. It was very calm maybe 2 mph winds and what little here was was perfect. I sat in it for three hours and didn't see a thing. I would've thought a rainy weekday afternoon would've kept the poachers at home but I heard about 10-12 shots this afternoon. At this rate there may not be any left for them to hunt when gun season starts this weekend
catfish willy
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:36 am

Looks like today and especially this evening could be a hot pre front hunt for our mid country friends!  Winds will be howling on Wednesday for you!! This front is producing everything from blizzard warnings in KS, NE, & CO to super elks and isolated tornados for a large portion of the Midwest...
HUNT THIS EVE AT ALL COST!!  The deer will be moving!!
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:34 pm

It finally kicked in here! I saw 5 bucks,  2 of them were older deer and had that, I don't know where I am and I don't care look in their  eye.
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  kyhunter123 on Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:28 pm

I FINALLY seen one of the 4 year olds this afternoon. Had 3 bucks come in with a doe and the 4 year old was breathing hard. Had a 3year old with her messing with her and the short tined 10 snort and wheezed and that 3yr old wanted nothing to do with it. He tucked his tail and left. He walked by at 70 but wouldn't come to me for anything. Hunting the same stand in the AM.
kyhunter123
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  catfish willy on Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:33 pm

I checked my camera earlier to see if it was taking pics. Of course it wasn't the last two days it tries to say the SD is full but the first time it took two pics and yesterday it took 48. In those 48 pics was a pretty nice 8 I've never seen before that was there at 2 in the afternoon yesterday. Right as I was about check it I see something about 75 yards on the top of the high spot. He is straight down wind of me and  I'm not sure if he seen me or not. I literally thought to. Myself don't tell me those are antlers sticking out of the briars and of course it's high brows looking straight towards me. He just casually hops off over the hill like he didn't even care I was there so I suspect there was a doe on the other side. Tonight the wind was a little sketchy but I wanted to get in there and thankfully it was a little off what they predicted I never got busted. The guy that lives close to my stand was out mowing their hay fields and was headed to the barn when he spotted me walking to my stand with a bow so he turns around and drives around his hayfield and coming down his fence row for two hours. Finally with about an hour of light left he goes home but as soon as he does he fired up his lawn mower and drive around his yard until it got dark. His house is about a 100 yards behind me on the other side of this woodlot. I don't know what his deal is the only tree for a stand is close to the property line but I'm facing away from his house. Anyway there must've been a hot doe on the other side of a different hay field. I seen three bucks within about 15 minutes come to the same spot at the field then run across it. So sounds like the bucks are up moving hopefully one makes a mistake in the morning
catfish willy
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:38 pm

Well, Only three days left to PA archery season (Because PA has the worst Game Commission/DNR there is) and tomorrow is calling for horizontal rain and then 25 mph winds on Friday. Sad 

Anyhow, I had two close calls today. When I got in my stand this morning, I no more than climbed up and I hear what sounds like a bear sniffing coming over to my stand. Shocked ( Talk about making the hair on the back of your neck stand up.) well I had my red light on so I turn on the white light for a better look and I don't see it. It was heading away from me. So I quick pull my bow and pack up and just as I get them hung I hear this sniffing sound again. It sounded just like a bear. So on goes the white light again. And there it is 17 yards away.... Big buck trailing a doe and stopped broadside and paying no attention to me. It's 15 minutes from shooting light. 5 or would have been on a clear day. That was the last thing I saw this morning. Then this evening I was almost to the stand and had a scrub buck come off the ridge from my stand. I wasn't in the stand long when I saw deer running at me and stop in the laurel. In a few minutes 2 doe and a fawn came by and then I hear another..... Nope! just another doe. So I set there for another 45 minutes when I hear a grunt and crashing in the laurel. I could hear them the rest of the night and caught one gimps of the buck but not his head. (I could tell it was him by his gait) So when it got too dark to make an ethical shot, I climbed down and slipped out of there.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:46 pm

Come on Vic , the worse ?? You have 6 weeks !! I would like to see bow season start a week later and end a week later myself , but that will never happen.
I didn't see anything today , but they sure are active during the night. The field has all kinds of tracks and I have been hearing some fighting the last 2 nights. Mr. Farmer is going to lose some of his winter wheat in a few spots. With the rain we had Tuesday that field is soft and the two bucks going at it have slide marks all over. After 6 weeks I'm ready for bear season !!
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:58 pm

Today  it was a ghost town for  deer sightings , Yesterday  was  awesome, Larry actually  sat all day, First time in  8 years he  saw  2 shooters on this farm and neither of them were brutus, brutus is in hinding since   Bob  got here,  He does not like  Bob's  scent  I guess,   LOL  Bob has  never seen him on a stand sit,.
 I  had  a buck hot on doe on the evening hunt  yesterday, They ran my me so  fast  I could not  even tell you  what buck he was.   Heck  we  have  very few bucks left that are not  busted up or  limping, the  uneven brow  10pt  has not  busted off both his  g2 and3s on one side, This other  gorgeous  10 point  is limping m but his  rack is   still perfect, The  split brow  ten  was not busted up  yesterday  , so that was nice to see, Oh yea and  finally some  longbreads have showed back up.   All these hens are driving us nuts  I think   4 of the  hens are bearded  that  I know of. Sorry have not  had  much time to update this week, Bob   has to  leave  friday morning after his hunt, so  Hopefully this  winds die  down by morning, Oh  and  that  nasty  storm  actually missed us , other  then  about  a  half hour of  light  rain,  We  still have the gusting winds but   they should be out of here by morning,

Nikon
Hoyt Element
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  andyman1983 on Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:14 am

Well i have to apologize team 1. Barb reminded me that i needed an inside spread photo on the buck and i completely forgot. The deer is off to the taxidermist so i wont see it for another year im sure. SO if it can be entered minus the spread points at least its something. Maybe ill get an upgrade shotgun season anyway.
andyman1983
12 Point
12 Point

Back to top Go down

Post  kyhunter123 on Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:19 pm

Here are a few pictures of the deer my dad shot. Baby Toes. Along with some trail cam pictures of him from last year and this year. Always fun watching deer grow  Smile

After looking at the pictures from last year and this year it really shows how much one side can change over just one year...

Last year..

This year..

And dead..

kyhunter123
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down