Post  soil on Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:11 pm

The old bush hog assist!  Nice thinking. Haha
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Re: A Place to talk " Smack talk and Deer Updates "

Post  Mountainman Vic on Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:01 pm

Boss Gobbler wrote:Hey Rick Im ready for you to show me that loading and dragging technique. Razz

Roll on the Floor La I thought I heard you shoot. 

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:05 pm

Mountainman Vic wrote:

You may have. It would have been easy to tell, I fired one shot. Just about everyone else is good for 3-5 shots at a time. Hunting
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:13 pm

Actually it's been pretty quite around here other than the shooting range. I guess everyone is trying to figure out how they missed. While the deer hunting has been slow, Wow they must have had a good turkey hatch this year. There are turkeys everywhere this year. There must have been between 30 and 50 around me tonight.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:22 am

Thank god these  rains  are out of the  forcast,  I am sick  , but  I  am off tomorrow  and will be  back out with my last chance before our  3 day gun season  kicks in,   Sucks tho  we are back in for  strong gusting winds, Figures the weekend should be good, even a  chance of  snow  saturday morning, And  south east winds are awesome for our farm, Crying or Very sad So hopefully the  suck for the   nieghboring gun hunter's  ( sorry,   but  I am going to need  antidepressants this weekend, )
 Good luck to  every one   out this weekend,

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  kyhunter123 on Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:47 am

Boss Gobbler wrote:
Mountainman Vic wrote:

You may have. It would have been easy to tell, I fired one shot. Just about everyone else is good for 3-5 shots at a time. Hunting
lol! lol!  That is 3-5 shots at the first one. Maybe even double that for the one running full speed across the field.
kyhunter123
Booner
Booner

http://ctdoutdoors.wix.com/ctdoutdoors

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:59 pm

Congrats Boss! 
Good luck Vic!
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:11 pm

Not often that you get to sit atop an apple tree! My new place I found a cluster of wild apple trees along the edge of a large fallow field.  Multiple trails run hilter skilter through the apples into the the fallow field. About 20 yards in from a nice trail cross sat a cluster of multi specie tree that allowed me to place my climber right up next to an apple tree.  I climbed right up past that apple tree and found myself situated directly above the crown of that apple. 

It was a pretty sit this morning with the mountains in front of me and the stream directly below! 
Zen Spa nature style.
I will get one here before seasons end!
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  VABuckSlayer on Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:00 am

After having the last 7 days straight to hunt I have nothing to show for it. Saw 2 small bucks and a few does. Several sits with no deer sightings. They just haven't been moving during daylight. Pics on the cams show they are there but mostly night time. Dogs have run the deer off my property at the house so not much happening there. The rut is winding down here so it's going to be tough the rest of the season. I have a few more days to hunt then I get my right shoulder fixed and I'm done for the year. That being said my friends are killing them. It's been a good year, I just don't have the luck this year I guess.
VABuckSlayer
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:23 pm

I just got done checking a few cameras behind the house and I do not like what I see . I know they have been fighting at night, because we could hear them but each and every buck I have , from a spike to a decent 10 , which totals 9 different bucks are ALL now 1/2 of what they were just a week ago. One of the 6 points left side is sticking out to the side , about 4 or 5 inches lower than it was !!! Not that it matters because we are on a meat hunt by the house since this surely sounds like the last year we will be hunting it.
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:29 pm

Got lucky in Kentucky!!!!! Very Happy

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:39 pm

Thats so awesome bud!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to hear the story Cool 
I think you could kill a deer in the middle of the electronics department at wallyworld on black friday!! Dang I could learn from you!!
Buck Shoot arrow
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:53 pm

Pa. Bowhunter wrote:I just got done checking a few cameras behind the house and I do not like what I see . I know they have been fighting at night, because we could hear them but each and every buck I have , from a spike to a decent 10 , which totals 9 different bucks are ALL now 1/2 of what they were just a week ago. One of the 6 points left side is sticking out to the side , about 4 or 5 inches lower than it was !!! Not that it matters because we are on a meat hunt by the house since this surely sounds like the last year we will be hunting it.
 Rick,
Is this due to that development? That sucks to lose land so close to you...I know its not the same but sometimes you can find some really great pinch points around developments as long as they don't clear cut everything.  Get to your elected officals/town meetings to look into setting a 5 acre minimum on lots... its starting to become more common around here to limit the spread of developments...
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  kyhunter123 on Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:31 pm

Mountainman Vic wrote:Got lucky in Kentucky!!!!! Very Happy
This post is useless without pichers!!!!
kyhunter123
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:22 pm

kyhunter123 wrote:
 It on  facebook- Great  Job  Vic!!!!!!

Nikon
Hoyt Element
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:26 pm

Morning  had grunting behind me,  never saw them but the camera up there  captured them,  Tonight  saw the only other  shooter  I would  take this year but   he held up with a doe  at 70yrds, He is  gorgeous tho ,  Praying  I  can get another encounter next week- that is if he makes it through the weekend,of orange army,  He was not leaving  his doe so  I hope she will keep him here for the nxt  3 days,

Nikon
Hoyt Element
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:04 am

kyhunter123 wrote:

An excellent write up to his kill is in the Success Section...with pichers lol!
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  catfish willy on Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:22 pm

Since gun season came in last weekend I have literally seen one antlered deer and he was deffinitly a Henry county special with some crooked little spikes. Trail cams are showing the smallest three year old is alive and one more two year old. The group of three that ran to the back and got shot at 6 times only lost one. Kinda sad it took 6 shots to kill the one and they either didn't find her or didn't tag her. My dad rode out to the farm where I turkey hunt just to see if anything was moving there. Very low deer numbers there but apparently there are 4 guys hunting it this year that are all under 18. They shot a fawn and lost a doe and shot one of the farmers black Angus. Luckily the farmer knows us and knows we are safe hunters and sounds like we will still be able to hunt it. Hopefully I can save up about a thousand dollars in time to lease about 50 acres for next season to avoid don't if this stuff
catfish willy
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:07 am

Matt , if you are referring to the " meat hunt " part , then YES , this development has 100% to do with it. If its legal and presents a good shot , its going down !! I don't care if it only has the minimal 3 points on a side and they are just above being legal , it goes in my freezer. As far as your comment about contacting local officials , thanks for the quick laugh Very Happy !! As of now , I already have one townhouse that is 160 yards away from my tractor road stand , which has been an awesome spot since 2001 !! Now I'm not the smartest when it comes to computers , so for a quick reference , go to google earth and type in 225 Hauck Lane , Milton , Pa. and check it out. All the fields to the north and the west will be houses !!! The only one that stays is the long skinny field next to the highway . We have thought about selling and finding a new spot , but I'm not sure if I want to start over ( as of now ) with all the work we have done here, but I have been checking for land to buy just for hunting. BUT if the guy who is building these homes comes to my door with cash in hand for my property , I will sell to him , but its going to cost him Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy !!
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:57 am

Pa. Bowhunter wrote:Matt , if you are referring to the " meat hunt " part , then YES , this development has 100% to do with it. If its legal and presents a good shot , its going down !! I don't care if it only has the minimal 3 points on a side and they are just above being legal , it goes in my freezer. As far as your comment about contacting local officials , thanks for the quick laugh Very Happy !! As of now , I already have one townhouse that is 160 yards away from my tractor road stand , which has been an awesome spot since 2001 !! Now I'm not the smartest when it comes to computers , so for a quick reference , go to google earth and type in 225 Hauck Lane , Milton , Pa. and check it out. All the fields to the north and the west will be houses !!! The only one that stays is the long skinny field next to the highway . We have thought about selling and finding a new spot , but I'm not sure if I want to start over ( as of now ) with all the work we have done here, but I have been checking for land to buy just for hunting. BUT if the guy who is building these homes comes to my door with cash in hand for my property , I will sell to him , but its going to cost him Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy !!

If you do sell that should be one of your must haves...Trust me living in suburbia as I have for the last...lets see how long have I been married  geek  Finding a township that already has a minimum plot of land to purchase set at 5 acres does help a slowing down suburbean sprawl...I've lived it personally!  It would suck to find yourself in the same boat on a different property but with say 50 acres this time...Sure your little skinny field is now 50 acres but 50 acres surrounded by nothing is not much of a hunting property.  Its not a gaurentee but about the only chance you have of a gaurentee is to buy a nice chunk of land that butts up to National Forest.
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:12 pm

We are loving the new place!! 

Opening morning Big L and I sat just off the edge of a 3/4 acre grown over fallow field.  Having a wonderful time together and not long after this pic it got amazingly exciting as memories were in the making!  I remembered my grunt call was still in my pack so I fiddled around trying to find it when I hear Big L..."deer, Deer DEER, ANTLERS, ANTLERS! REALLY REALLY BIG ANTLERS!!!" I look up and 50 yards straight in font of us broadside in the fallow field is a legit 140 class 10 point raking his antlers on a bush!! BROADSIDE!!!  I look over to Big L and see him and this awesome blank gaze that I will never ever forget...I know he is forever hooked!!! I whisper to him to pick up his gun and he snaps out of his trance.  The buck turns straight away from us as Big L reaches for his gun...not spooked, just his time to move on.  It was at that time did we both get a huge shock!  This buck was incredibly wide easily 20 inside with a couple of 10" beams!  He was more than 140!!!  Two light hearted bounds and he was on his way for something else and Big L was shocked, amazed, and bitterly disappointed all at once.  I was ecstatic at an amazing encounter!  He quickly started beating himself up for not bringing the gun up right away and I reassured him it was an incredible experience the Lord graced both of us with.  Opening morning we praised God for giving us such a beautiful experience and Big L thanked the Lord that we were able to hunt together!  All the while not knowing Big L was about to lose  his former basketball coach to a heart attack.  Whom had a son Big L's age!   Looking back I am so blessed to have made it through what I did to be able to enjoy my son's!!  
So in the first three days of our rifle season two of our group of 5 have seen the biggest bucks of our lives on this place!  My cousin texted me yesterday...
"Holy. %@$! I just the biggest fear of my life."  I could tell he was a complete wreck but did not know if he meant FEAR, BEAR, OR DEER!??? So he comes back with, 
"Deer all I could see is antlers!" I take great pride in his experience as I scouted that area the day before and laid it out perfectly for him!  
"I was in the pines at the far end near those apples you were talking about...I had 3 doe nearly run me over. They freaked and so did I...I know Ken...He screamed like a girl cheers .  One took off to the apples. Shortly there after the monster came out after the doe...All I could sees these massive horns!!"  Actually public land where he is! 
I'm going back out tomorrow!!

Love deer season!!!!!!
Good luck everyone Wink
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  VABuckSlayer on Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:46 am

After hunting 4 days over the holidays and only seeing one small doe I'm giving it a break for a little while. This has been a really tough season for me and I can't remember ever having as many sits and not seeing a single deer. Not sure if it's the effects of the EHD we had last year or what. We've had a pretty good rut this year based on what some of my friends have experienced and from the trail cam photos but I've just been unlucky. The second rut seems to be kicking in right now and some cooler temps are suppose to be coming later this week so maybe I can get lucky for a day later this week. I've been hunting hard this year and its wearing me down. I'm not giving up but man, fishing is starting to look like more fun this winter! Smile
VABuckSlayer
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:37 pm

Still got 2 bucks we would shoot, but  going to let the farm sit until  after next gun season,  I think we lost  Brutus , which breaks my heart,  I have not asked around  yet,  Thought a buck on  camera might be him, but  lets just say   I really do not think so,, Bucks are still chasing here and  grunting their heads off but  mostly all night  movement since  gun season, I know  one thing if they don't get back to feeding here soon our does and fawns will out weight them, This has been one of the oddest season's I can  ever remember, and it start way back in   velvet season,

Nikon
Hoyt Element
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  kyhunter123 on Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:03 pm

Our gun season ended yesterday. We have 2 weeks of nothing but bow and starting Dec. 12th ML comes in for a week... These deer are doing nothing. I haven't even hunted for a week. But cameras are showing pretty much nothing. The rest of my season will probably be trying to see if somthing survived... We found a buck that was capped off that the other guys tossed in a ditch (they got the back straps and hams). Don't know who it is. I'm thinking horse because he has a really white head but I'm not sure. And found a 20 pound yearling... I know they shot more than that but I think they left him there just to show us they shot a buck. We may have the farm leased next year, so hopefully we can keep a few deer on it during gun season... I already miss early season. I could actually see a deer that don't run from a bird chirping...
kyhunter123
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  soil on Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:12 pm

Shot a little doe tonight with the bow. Glad to report that the 2 best 3 yr olds on the place are still alive after gun season #1!
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum