A Place to talk " Smack talk and Deer Updates "

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: A Place to talk " Smack talk and Deer Updates "

Post  Boss Gobbler on Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:08 pm

I have at least one big one that made it though the rifle season. He is a little busted up, misssing a g3 now. Hopefully he will make a new home in this area and lay low for the next month.

Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:45 pm

Fence him in so he's safe !!! He's not busted up at all , well at least compared to each and every buck I have by the house. They are now all 1/2 racks .
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  kyhunter123 on Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:32 pm

I hunted last night and seen 9. But I can see half the farm from where I was. Seen 3 yearlings about the time the sun went behind the trees. Then I didn't see another untill I pretty much couldn't even see my pins anymore. It was dark. I was counting black figures there at the end. So far I got pictures of 2, 3yr olds that survived gun season. Photoshop and a buck that showed up at the end up october. Was going through pictures and found him last year. Was just a small 8 point. He is a typical 10 this year. Probably go mid 120s. Other than them, just a few spikes and 2 little 8s. Most of these deer are moving at night. If I can get close enough to the thickets I can probably see a few but I want to leave them be for right now. Still trying to find out if any of the 4yr olds are alive..... I was just wondering.. Where is willy???? He has to have shot 2 monsters by now lol
kyhunter123
Booner
Booner

http://ctdoutdoors.wix.com/ctdoutdoors

Back to top Go down

Post  VABuckSlayer on Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:12 am

The doe mission will start now that the bucks have disappeared. Saw 3 Sat night but late and 3 last night but too far. I actually broke the bow back out now that I can draw it again after surgery. I'm going to try to fill a doe tag with the bow before the season ends!
VABuckSlayer
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  catfish willy on Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:58 pm

With all the people that will be rabbit hunting and stuff I decided to pull the camera back there. Don't want my new one walking off like last year. It's so slow I've literally had two does survive that show up every night and occasionally an 8 point that survived will come through but he is lnt a regular. We found a guy with 60 acres out toward lockport that looks pretty good that has always broke it up and leased it out to different people each season. We talked to him and told him we really preferred a year long lease and asked if he would be interested in that. We decided to go ahead and hunt it for muzzleloader season and if we like what we see he told us this spring he would do 1200 for the full season so hopefully it works out. Went to shoot today to make sure the muzzleloaders were still on. Shot mine had no problem. I've had that gun for 6 years and never had to touch the scope again after sighting it in. Got dad's and first shot was a foot and a half high and pretty far right. Dang scope jacked up my glasses and hit me right in the eye. That sucked got a cut right by my eye that bled like crazy and probably gonna have a black eye. I dont know why it hit so high its a good thing I checked it. Probably go back tomorrow and sight it back in if I can
catfish willy
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:37 pm

Hi guy's,  I have not hunted since last wed,   Prayed something would of  worked out that last night  before our second weekend of  gun season kicked in but, I  only  had  3  small  bucks, on that last sit, a 4pt, 6pt and  half rack, it is  pitiful here, other then one buck left that I would shoot  , I am honestly just ready to call it a season, Well at least until we get some  snow on the ground Wink  Found  a little seat and  half blind  set up on one of our fence lines, yesterday, That   I was not happy about , I take it  they will be returning  the  last weekend of  bow season for  the late muzzleloader season  that same weekend, Mad I would  think if they  filled their tags   during shotgun season they would of   packed up their  stuff, I am  hoping to  get out tomorrow afternoon , 30 mile per hour gusting  winds will suck, and   from what the cameras have shown me the past few day's ,  I will only   be hunting  a  back side wheat plot/ brassia plot, plus there are beans and clover back there also, Still got  bucks chasing and grunting   here but off course  that is mostly all noctornal movement,
 Willy  so  sorry about your  eye, That  sucks,
 Eric  best of luck to you on the doe hunting and that is great news your able to  use the bow  this soon after   surgery,  Sorry  I have not been around much, Larry and I  have  to  put  his dad in a nursing home, and that has been  life consuming  trying to  find the right one,  the past few week's, Let alone one that will take him , Larry has to  make the trip down to  Arkansas sunday to  get him ,It is so depressing, Lol I see  I could  shoot  doe out both the front door and the  back right now, but  you all  know they are save here, Best of luck to everyone still hunting, That we all need to  figure out  soon  a place we can all keep in touch, Wink Wink I know some of you do not like Facebook, But we still have set up a  private group over there to share, things, Idea Oh and  Yes I have  had contact with  Willy, but  it is not my place to share, LOl  I guess  I am going to  have to Rip on   him  a few time's this weekend, LOve and miss you all, and so sorry this site has died. Crying or Very sad

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:34 pm

Well, I've been out a few times with the rifle. (First day I took my daughter Lily) But my heart just isn't in it. When I start thinking about it, I realize that I haven't shot a PA buck with the rifle since 1988. lol. I'm betting some a lot of you weren't even born yet. I was out the other day and had a nice day. I had a bear walk by at 60 yards but they aren't in season in this part of the state so he got he pass. I guess I'll get up in the am and take the gun  for a walk and see what happens.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  catfish willy on Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:49 pm

The eye is fine Barb messing up the glasses sucked worse than the scope eye. If a private group is set up be sure to let us know. I sent friend requests to the names I recognized but it would still be nice to keep everyone together
catfish willy
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  kyhunter123 on Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:04 pm

Hunted last night and seen a bunch of deer. They were moving good. As soon as I got on the platform of the stand I looked over and seen a deer standing in the field. Got the bino's up and it was the tall tight 10 that I almost shot in november.. but he only had one side. He done shed the other! He did the same thing last year. I found it the 12th or 13th rabbit huntin. Atleast I know he's alive and should make it to 5 yrs old!. A year smarter and harder to kill lol.
kyhunter123
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  catfish willy on Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:25 pm

So finally got to go hang stands today. This guy seems weird and a little over bearing. I get it that it's his land but still this guy seems a little over board. No papers have been signed for next year so I don't know if I want to lock this up for next year or not. Anyway stepped out of the truck and there was a small shed right next to my foot. Luckily it was muddy so it didn't break it when we ran over it. There are more hogs on the property than he lead on. Doesn't bother me but there was clearly about five spots they completely tore up so hopefully I can shoot one this week

Last edited by catfish willy on Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
catfish willy
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  kyhunter123 on Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:23 pm

I took a video of the tall 10 i seen yesterday. He may have one less eye to. Looks kinda beat up.
kyhunter123
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  catfish willy on Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:18 pm

Well this morning's hunt was interesting. Seen a buck about 8 that just had a spike that split on one side and the other side looked like it used to be normal but he busted half of it off. About 9 I see a little spike walking the edge of the field and he kept getting down wind and he smelled me and would lift his tail up and walk off but would be back in just a few minutes. His tail was only like 2 inches long it was weird. Anyway he does this about 5 times and keeps coming back. I guess he was like ten second tom and kept forgetting I was there but about 9:45 he takes off running and I hear a four wheeler coming up the hill. I get down to go talk to the guy because we were suppose to be the only people there. The guy was an out of stater that only bow hunted and he paid to lease it for an entire year. I guess the guy that owns it thought he would make a few extra dollars during gun seasons since this guy wasn't going to be there. After talking to him for a minute we exained our situations and agreed it was odd. He pulled his phone out and showed me the texts that he sent to the landowner saying he was coming to get his stuff today and showed where he tried to call like 5 times between last night and this morning. I guess that explains why he was so weird. Thankfully the guy was understanding and didn't flip out. The landowner hopped in his car and left as soon as the other guy got there I guess he didn't want to be there when we found out what was going on and won't answer his phone. Oh well thankfully we didn't lock in it permanently and get screwed like this guy did. If anyone sees 60 acres for lease from a guy named Mark in northern Ky between Lockport and Defoe beware he is a little sketchy
catfish willy
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  catfish willy on Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:00 pm

Sorry guys I completely forgot to get a pic with the tag before I dropped her off at a buddy's house buy I shot a doe this morning. I'm not going to lease this place next season. And deal with this guys sketchyness so I'm just going to try to fill the freezer and not even worry about trying to shoot a nice buck. I didn't feel like trying to move my climber in the dark because its a gorilla and the pins on them are a pain in the dark so I just sat on the ground this morning. About an hour after daylight I hear something behind me that didn't sound like squirrels but I couldn't see them. They are straight down wind and busted me and the first one a seen was walking straight away with her tail up so I went ahead turned towards her in case she somehow gave me a shot. As soon as I did I see another one cone running up the hill so I bleated with my mouth to stop her and she did but behind some stuff. Then on down the ridge top I see some more does about 75 yards. That makes 5 exactly where I did not expect them to be. I put the cross hairs on the one all the way to the left and when I squeezed the trigger I flinched so hard. I've never done that before ever so I guess it was because the last time I shot I got scope eye. Smoke went everywhere and honestly thought there was no way I could've hit her flinching that bad. I walked over to where she was standing and found hair and good blood immediately. Followed probably the best blood trail ever about 50-75 yards down and there she was. I know its not the best pic but you can tell she was pretty big probably busted many of hunters in her day.

catfish willy
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:27 am

I know I'm ready for the late season , doesn't matter if its bow or muzzleloader. Gun season was a total bust . Seems like most people I talked with said the same thing, it was quiet !! Only seen a few deer , nothing legal and then when doe season came in everything just sucked. Weather should have saved a ton of deer around here , never , well not since 1982 have I seen it that foggy that many days and the heat just didn't help. I'm still getting plenty of pictures by the house , most are still after dark , some right at the last 2 minutes of shooting hours but the fog would have saved them even if we were there. Then of course all the daytime pics were from 830 am to 130 pm , and we were all at work Very Happy Very Happy !! Last year I had around 6-8 inches of snow , today was 67 degrees , not sure if I'm in Pa. anymore and not sure if its really December !!!!
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  andyman1983 on Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:36 pm

I shot an 8 point during shotgun season and got the spread pic this time so i can update that at the end of the year to get a few more points. I have a late season muzzleloader tag yet so ill wait til then and see how it goes.
andyman1983
12 Point
12 Point

Back to top Go down

Post  ridgerunner on Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:25 am

Pa. Bowhunter wrote:I know I'm ready for the late season , doesn't matter if its bow or muzzleloader. Gun season was a total bust . Seems like most people I talked with said the same thing, it was quiet !! Only seen a few deer , nothing legal and then when doe season came in everything just sucked. Weather should have saved a ton of deer around here , never , well not since 1982 have I seen it that foggy that many days and the heat just didn't help. I'm still getting plenty of pictures by the house , most are still after dark , some right at the last 2 minutes of shooting hours but the fog would have saved them even if we were there. Then of course all the daytime pics were from 830 am to 130 pm , and we were all at work Very Happy Very Happy !! Last year I had around 6-8 inches of snow , today was 67 degrees , not sure if I'm in Pa. anymore and not sure if its really December !!!!

I hear ya Rick, so warm the deer just didn't need to feed or move during daylight this year.  Could be a sign late season is going to be hot this year.  Doesn't matter to me though as I ended up killing my #2 buck last week, a 19.5" inside spread 8 point, so I'm looking towards next year.  My #1 target buck, a 140's 10 point, who I only seen while on stand once this year has now showed up on camera 4 out of the last 5 nights entering standing corn.  I can't believe this guy has given everyone the slip so far this year, I hope he keeps it up for the last season.  I'd like to go after him one more year!
ridgerunner
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:25 pm

ridgerunner wrote:
Pa. Bowhunter wrote:I know I'm ready for the late season , doesn't matter if its bow or muzzleloader. Gun season was a total bust . Seems like most people I talked with said the same thing, it was quiet !! Only seen a few deer , nothing legal and then when doe season came in everything just sucked. Weather should have saved a ton of deer around here , never , well not since 1982 have I seen it that foggy that many days and the heat just didn't help. I'm still getting plenty of pictures by the house , most are still after dark , some right at the last 2 minutes of shooting hours but the fog would have saved them even if we were there. Then of course all the daytime pics were from 830 am to 130 pm , and we were all at work Very Happy Very Happy !! Last year I had around 6-8 inches of snow , today was 67 degrees , not sure if I'm in Pa. anymore and not sure if its really December !!!!

I hear ya Rick, so warm the deer just didn't need to feed or move during daylight this year.  Could be a sign late season is going to be hot this year.  Doesn't matter to me though as I ended up killing my #2 buck last week, a 19.5" inside spread 8 point, so I'm looking towards next year.  My #1 target buck, a 140's 10 point, who I only seen while on stand once this year has now showed up on camera 4 out of the last 5 nights entering standing corn.  I can't believe this guy has given everyone the slip so far this year, I hope he keeps it up for the last season.  I'd like to go after him one more year!
Pictures????????????

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:45 pm

One good thing for my area , as long as most guys stay indoors during the late season we should , and I stress should , have plenty of deer next year. The 2nd week would have been tough to shoot a deer inside of bow range with the heavy fog we had !! Most mornings I could not see the field behind the house , and 2 mornings I could barely see the garage which is 10 yards from the house !!!
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  chukbuk on Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:38 pm

Ok, so last episode of Chuk-luck!  After 3-15 hour work days in a row to get the kitchen ready for the counter top guys to template for the soapstone counters, I was so out of it I needed a few days off and got the approval from my wife to head to the cabin.
     My first hunting of the season was the last 2 days of rifle in PA!  Just like Rick, I was fogbound first morning in a ground blind so I headed up the mountain and settled under a pine tree on a little point overlooking the last bench below the ridge of the mountain.  Remarkably, above the fog layer...it was eerie, felt like being above the clouds in a plane.  I was really comfy and with the mild temps, I found myself napping often all day.
     Late in the day about 4:15, I noticed a pungent odor around me.  It was damp and with the leaves wet, I thought it might just be coming from the ground.  As I sat there a little longer, the thought that it could be coming from a bear crossed my mind!  With the warm temps, I doubt any have hibernated yet and no one got Big Brutus (as the neighbor named him), I thought...wonder if a bear is above me honing in on the jerky smell coming from my pack!
      Now I've convinced myself that I will crawl out of my rocky nook to look upslope and see a bear.  When I rise and look around the boulder, 2 doe are 30 yards above me.  They bound off but haven't winded me so I keep looking and a tall rack rises out of the mountain laurel!  Close, but no shot...oh, and my 30-06 is at my feet.  The big buck drops down and I move to the gun sure he will come one of the 2 ways that will bring him into a shooting lane.  I stood looking until after sundown and never saw him again...that's my luck, someday it will be good I tell myself. 
      I'm going back there with my flintlock in a few weeks only I'm going to the ridge!
chukbuk
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:57 pm

I agree with ya Chuk , those foggy mornings can seem almost spooky Very Happy Very Happy !! I'm about ready for the late season , going to take the muzzleloader out and try to get the freakin thing to fire when I want it too !! Last year I had it go "click" a few times with deer in range. Then on the last day as I got back to the jeep , I figured I would try to empty it , and sure enough BOOM !!! Perfection , just a little too late !! I have a few spots up in the hills that I may venture into , just hope we have some snow !!
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  VABuckSlayer on Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:52 am

Shot an 82 lb slick head Saturday with my Rem 700 .308 rifle. Man I love that gun! She was only 115 yards and it was a perfect double lung shot. She only went 40 yards. I haven't had much luck this season and I decided to take it out on her! lol Just filling the freezer at this point now.
VABuckSlayer
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:18 am

VABuckSlayer wrote:Shot an 82 lb slick head Saturday with my Rem 700 .308 rifle. Man I love that gun! She was only 115 yards and it was a perfect double lung shot. She only went 40 yards. I haven't had much luck this season and I decided to take it out on her! lol Just filling the freezer at this point now.
Congrats man!!!
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: