If you had to pick one lease...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

If you had to pick one lease...

Post  MEhunter on Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:06 am

Where would it be? I've been throwing around the idea with a friend of getting a deer lease somewhere (starting next year). The two states I've been leaning towards are Ohio and Kentucky (more towards KY), but it really doesn't matter. Where would everyone else recommend?

MEhunter
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Re: If you had to pick one lease...

Post  Bowhntr on Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:09 am

Me personally, I would not lease unless it was close to home where I could get my money's worth by hunting it for the season.  All of my out of state trips such as Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Ohio, even Alabama have all been done on public lands.  In my opinion its not financially prudent to lease a piece of property that you might only hunt a couple of weeks out of the year and have to spend a lot of fuel to get to,
Bowhntr
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:23 pm

I  agree with Darin a little on the  leasing out of  state ground, Just   can not it  see it  being money  well spent  if you have to travel  and  are limited  to the about of time you can hunt it
 We have only leased  land   2 twice  and to be honest the only reason we  lease what we do now is because it  borders our  property.

Dave, I would  pick  Kentucky  over Ohio   tho Wink

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  soil on Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:05 pm

I'd join Willys lease!  Hahaha
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:11 pm

I would pick either Iowa, Kansas, or Ohio. Iowa and Kansas are obviously big buck spots and have been for a long time. I would pick Ohio because their gun season is late November  and it's shotgun only. It gives a lot of bucks a chance to get old. That and Ohio has so much more agriculture than Kentucky.  There are spots in Kentucky  where the hunting is very good . As someone who lives in Kentucky though I think it gets a little false push. Think about this,as a resident in Kentucky I get 1 buck tag per year.  Now compare that to Iowa, a resident there can take 3 bucks, but they are still to me the top producing state. If you pick Ohio try to get around Adams county. If you pick Kentucky look at Lewis county or possibly the Land between the lakes area.
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:02 pm

If I were you I'd pick Ohio if you can find something. Just because it's closer to you. I was in a lease in Illinois for a lot of years and it was the best hunting I ever had. Not even comparable to anything else I've ever hunted but the costs have gotten so out of control.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:11 pm

I would go with whiskey country !! Very Happy I see ohio as the next Illinois truthfully. Its way over rated ( from guys I have talked with , not personal experience ) and can be a pain to get a spot . The outfitters have been gaining ground for the last 5 years or so , which is where my comparison to Illinois comes from. It will get blown out sooner than later. I know a few guys who started in Illinois , that went to junk. Then they hit Kansas , that was good but they lost out to more money. Next was ohio. Close to home and they lost that spot to more money also and never killed anything better than 130. Now the last 3 years they have been going to south Carolina , not for big bucks but mainly to have fun again. They now enjoy the hunt once again compared to waiting on that magical 180 to walk by that is no longer behind every tree .
Myself , if I were to lease or better yet buy land in another state , it would be either Iowa or Montana . To which I would prefer to buy over leasing. This whole lease deal just sucks , its just like the freight business , somebody is always on the look out to cut another person out and without a long term deal , like nothing less than 20 years , its a no go for me. No way would I want to waste my time and money for anything less. Is that a dream , yes it sure is but its also my money. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  MEhunter on Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:27 pm

Great info guys thanks! I also have thought about public land like mentioned in a couple threads as well, but some great info to mull around.

MEhunter
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:00 pm

If I were to buy just one lease I personally would venture into either the Dakotas or Nebraska.  I want to go were the hunter per square mile is nice and low for that optimal chance at mature bucks.
Low hunters = fair prices.  
A close second would be Indiana for me...it has everything you are looking for in trophy producer.  It shines over Ohio in that the prices for leases are much more reasonable for IN when compared to OH.  The deer hunting and habitat is also fantastic.
KY NR fees have quietly doubled over the past 2 years...their lease prices are sneaking up as well.  At this time they are still a deal compared to OH.  With that being said I give the edge to KY.  I like the idea of an early Sept velvet hunt...if it's not 97 degrees! I think there are bigger pockets in KY that offer lower human populations than OH to benefit the deer.
West of the Land Between the Lakes is prime but I would not be afraid to look into the North Central farmlands.  Especially if you can get a mix of soybeans and persimmon trees!
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  kyhunter123 on Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:15 pm

I have never hunted anywhere but indiana and around where I live in Ky. So I can't tell you much about ohio or anywhere else. But I will say if you get a lease in Ky. Stay west. Atleast that's where I hear most of the better hunting is. Around where I live there are some good pockets to hunt. If you can find a place the deer can age it is really good hunting. But good luck finding a deer over 3 1/2 anywhere around here or where there aren't 42 other people hunting it. There are A LOT of propertys around here that company's own or people that live in the city own that of course don't allow hunting... Those places are some dream propertys. But good luck getting on to one.... I think most of the leaseable ground is west of here anyway. But in not 100% positive.
kyhunter123
Booner
Booner

http://ctdoutdoors.wix.com/ctdoutdoors

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum