I found this little spot I found interesting.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I found this little spot I found interesting.

Post  Mountainman Vic on Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:53 pm

So I was searching on google earth and bing maps and I came across these clear cuts and went to check them out today. The red, yellow and blue lines are 3 different 8' high deer fences that DCNR put up to keep the deer out of the clear cuts. These fences have about 20 to 30 yards between them. Do you see a funnel here? I'd guess this place is going to have to produce some buck out cruising by mid to late October. 

Last edited by Mountainman Vic on Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Re: I found this little spot I found interesting.

Post  Boss Gobbler on Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:58 pm

Right at the corner of that blue one looks like a heck of a spot. They probably almost follow that fence up that ridge.
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  chukbuk on Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:10 am

It sure could turn into a funnel.  A fence went up around some clear cuts near where I hunt in Lycoming.  It's been 5 years now and it is incredible how thick and lush the growth is inside the fence.  It shows how much browsing damage deer will do on new growth.  
      Some local knuckleheads open the gate in a remote area.  I've closed it at least 6 times since the fence went up.  It's not near a road so no one sees it.  I suspect they do it so deer get in then they hunt in it.
chukbuk
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:03 pm

Hey Vic , stay on your side of the creek !!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy  The one problem I know of , easy access off Montour road. Not sure about early bow season but I have seen way too many guys for my liking in that area during bear season. I'm sure you don't get the pressure for bow like you do for deer and bear gun seasons , which is good. Its been awhile , and I would have to look at my map , but if I remember correctly the one ridge to the south had like 4 or 5 small hollows coming up it , and at the top I saw quite a few deer roaming about 2/3 the way up and heading towards the foodplot off Montour road. I can't really tell by your picture , but I'm thinking it would be around the blue line where it cuts away from the red and where the blue line has the 2 90 degree corners. But there was no fence there at the time , but heck yea that looks like a spot that could produce . Get your camera out and see what happens. Then again , if they fenced those areas off , who knows but it could turn guys away from the area. Which makes it all the better for you !!! Now get back on your side of the creek Very Happy
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:00 pm

Sweet gibberish that looks smoking!
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:38 pm

Vic have you ever hunted inside any of the fenced in areas ?? The ones I have seen up your way look mostly timbered out , but down this way they make very little effort to get any deer out of the fenced areas and I have seen quite a few deer inside .
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:03 pm

Would a fenced in area be off limits to human traffic as well?
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:42 pm

shedder wrote:Would a fenced in area be off limits to human traffic as well?
No Matt. Actually DCNR encourages hunting in there. They install access gates for hunters. But I've never hunted in them. They make a pretty good drive to get the deer out before installing the fences and there isn't much brush for the deer to hid in at that time.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:10 pm

I wish they would clear them like that down here. The 1st few years all they did was put up the fence. Not going to change a thing if the sun isn't getting thru the trees !!!
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:46 am

Rick, are those fences still up? 
I wonder if smaller sections were clear cutted and they just fenced them all together? Back before every dollar and cent spent was visible to every tax payer...
How long do they keep these fences up?  I am envious of the things your state does on your public lands for its Wildlife.  
In NY they slap yellow paint on the boundary lines and that's about it!
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum