What's the trick?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What's the trick?

Post  Boss Gobbler on Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:59 pm

Every year I struggle with something that I can't figure out. How the heck do you load a deer in the back of a pickup truck by yourself ?  I have tried every way possible. My tailgate is about 3 1/2 foot off the ground.  I have tried pulling it up by the rack but always get stuck on the front shoulders  or just past the ribs and have to let it back down. I have tried using a 2x12 and pulling it up, but it always falls off. The only way I have been successful is to grab it around the ribs in a bear hug and pick it up. The problem is you are usually a  soaked red mess  afterwards.
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Re: What's the trick?

Post  soil on Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:43 pm

This is a great question!  Lol. I've done it myself several times by grabbing antlers/ear and the lower front leg and just dragging them in. I imagine I won't be able to do that once I'm a little older!  I think the best bet is the buddy system but I'm curious to hear other methods.
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:07 pm

Lol Boss! I think one of those little cranes would work great. But I struggle too. I know that it helps to get the guts out of them. But if you like to get them out whole sale that's not going to help. I've already hooked a rope to the back legs drug them up in as far as I could and tied them off and then went and got under the front end and rolled them up on but if I'm not bloody until it's over I at least smell like a rutty buck.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:55 pm

Toss it in !!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Get a smaller truck !!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Try tossing one a Dodge Dually by yourself !!! One fluid motion is my trick. I have already tied the front legs together and the back legs . Grab the front with one hand and the back with on hand , under the rope . Stand with your back to the truck , lift the front 1st , then the back as your turning towards the truck , and lift or toss it in. I don't worry about the rack , try getting as much of the body in as possible 1st , then worry about the head and rack. Now the best advice , hunt with a friend !!!
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:58 pm

Oh yea , using this method , your gonna get bloody Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy !!!! Also , if you hunt in an area like Vic , and your 2 miles back , up and into the woods , hunt with at least 2 friends !!!!!
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:46 am

Pa. Bowhunter wrote:Toss it in !!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Get a smaller truck !!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Try tossing one a Dodge Dually by yourself !!! One fluid motion is my trick. I have already tied the front legs together and the back legs . Grab the front with one hand and the back with on hand , under the rope . Stand with your back to the truck , lift the front 1st , then the back as your turning towards the truck , and lift or toss it in. I don't worry about the rack , try getting as much of the body in as possible 1st , then worry about the head and rack. Now the best advice , hunt with a friend !!!

The next time I shoot one I'm going to call you. I want to see this method. Just so you know I'm going to film it and it may go viral.Laughing I'm fairly stout but don't believe I will be tossing any bucks into the back of the truck. Laughing So renew that gym membership because I already have your buck picked out. 

Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  Godfather on Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:08 am

A couple of years ago I managed to take a pretty good sized buck. I had to load the buck onto the truck myself. then to torture myself even more I then unloaded it to get good pictures and put it back into the truck again. In both situations where I loaded the deer into the truck I just backed the truck into wherever there was a little bit of a slope. In my yard it was simple but where I took the deer it was much more difficult. Here is a pic that shows me at my house loading the deer back into my truck. Once I got the front end of the deer in it was easy.  The other times that I haven't had a little bit of a hill to use I just pull the head and front shoulders up into the bed first. I try and get that part into the truck as far as possible. Then I get back out of the bed and pick up the back end and put it in last. I guess when most of the deer you shoot aren't the size of a small cow then it isn't as hard as what some of you guys have to deal with! Lol!
Godfather
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  catfish willy on Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:38 am

I usually get in the bed of the truck and lift as hard as I can straight up then try to pull it in the bed if that makes any sense. If I get the front shoulder above the tail gate its easy and just one motion but I've never had to load anything bigger than a 3 1/2 year old by myself
catfish willy
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  VABuckSlayer on Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:47 am

Being 6' 2" I guess helps but I grab them by the rack, standing in the truck, and pull them up until the shoulders are above the tailgate and pull them in. My best VA buck weighed 200 lbs and I was so pumped I got him that I pulled him in by myself no problem! lol I'm almost 45 now though so that probably won't be happening anymore. LOL
VABuckSlayer
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  John B on Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:12 pm

Tractor Very Happy

John B
Pope & Young
Pope & Young

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCReW on Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:43 pm

Reef on it as hard as you can until it finally goes. I loaded all of mine and Lindsay's bucks in the box by just reefing on it but last year I finally realized that is why I always have a sore back in late November and through December. From loading all the deer into the box! So from now on I always throw a come along winch and a folding ATV ramp in the box and I'll use that to load them. Used it for beats and elk so wont have any trouble with deer. You get older and a tiny bit smarter, I don't think anyone should do it themselves unless you want your back to pay for it down the road. Maybe too late for me...

TheCReW
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  soil on Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:58 pm

"Reef on it" must be some up north slang!  I've never heard that expression.
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:35 pm

OK so maybe its a big truck issue. I get up in the bed and grab it by the rack, about the same time its rear gets off the ground and I am holding all the weight ,the front shoulder gets caught. I like Vics method pulling from the back and tying it off. Now that I think about it pulling the back legs first may be the way to go. By the time you hit the front legs its mostly in the truck. cheers
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:11 pm

Boss   why don't you  take a  4 wheeler  with you, load it on the  quad and then  transfer it over to your truck,    Wink
 That of just   invest in  a skidsteer and leave on the  property,  Those  little sweet machine's  are a  great investment, Very Happy

godfather , (John's )  suggestion  has also worked very well for us over the many of year's , Back that tail gate up to any slope you can find,

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:31 pm

Rick, I've seen the little tykes you've slammed. No wonder you can toss them in. Very Happy Barb, when I was hunting Illinois, we struggled to get most of those bucks on the four wheelers. It almost always took three of us if we wanted it to look graceful.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:51 pm

Boss I'll take the one on the right !!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I will admit I haven't had to load but 2 or 3 deer in the dually , the best investment is an arctic cat atv , or any model with a tube rack on it. You can get on the atv , pull the head up and walk back using the tubes for leverage. Then just step off the side and your deer is loaded. The best 2 investments I ever bought were the atv and a trailer . Don't have to load anything over a foot off the ground now !!!
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  impactarcher on Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:31 am

I just use pure brute strength Laughing

impactarcher
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:37 am

Would a hitch mounted deer hoist work??
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCReW on Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:14 pm

soil wrote:"Reef on it" must be some up north slang!  I've never heard that expression.

Lol, I guess so then...

I feel dumb trying to give advice since once again I had to drag my buck up by hand into the box this year! Forgot the hoist and the ramps.

TheCReW
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:31 pm

TheCReW wrote:
soil wrote:"Reef on it" must be some up north slang!  I've never heard that expression.

Lol, I guess so then...

I feel dumb trying to give advice since once again I had to drag my buck up by hand into the box this year! Forgot the hoist and the ramps.
LOL, maybe I'm the only one who caught this. But I will be the first to say congrats on an awesome buck Chad. I saw Lindsay posted a pic . cheers
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:37 pm

TheCReW wrote:

Lol, I guess so then...

Whoo whoo! Sounds like we have a Canadian Buck ON THE GROUND!!!
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  chukbuk on Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:49 am

Great topic,  most of us have hugged deer into a truck and got bloody a few times.  For me it's usually road kills where I am caught without anything to help me do it!  
      I dread getting a come-along out to do anything because of how much of a pain it us to deal with pulling the cable.  I just bought a come-along at Tractor Supply that has a thick web-strap instead of cable.  It is wonderful...I love this tool!  Raised a 450# laminated beam with it and it was easy, no kinking cables!  159.00 and it is made in the USA.  This thing will be in my truck always!
chukbuk
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  BlueID_LDS on Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:41 am

I just read an article on this not 10 minutes ago! After reading it, I wondered why I couldn't think of something so simple! So basically they tied a rope across the bed of the truck with a pulley attached in the middle. Then they took another 30-40 feet of synthetic rope and threaded it through the pulley. One end of this rope is tied to a solid, STABLE mount like a tree or electric pole within 10 feet of the truck you are wanting to load it into. Tie the other end securely to your deer. Place a piece of sheet plywood or 2 wood slats to act as ramps from the tailgate to the ground at an angle slightly underneath your deer. You MUST make sure the top portion of the ramps are sticking about 1/3 of the way up above your tailgate for this to work.
Then make sure your deer's rack, legs, etc wont get caught when going up the boards. So the coolest part was I thought they were going to say you had to physically pull the deer up using the pulley by hand. But not at all. You simply drive your truck forward until the deer is almost completely loaded into the bed and the boards are about even with the tailgate. I am definitely going to try this since most of the time I hunt when my husband is at work. The author said he typically mounts his pulley across the bed of his truck before bow season and keeps it and the plywood in his truck all season long. I hope maybe this would help some of you out with this predicament as I have been there myself and its no fun whacking your back out to load a deer.
BlueID_LDS
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:48 am

Ok this is what I use now...I just don't put it in the bed of a truck anymore...

Much lower to the ground and much easier!  
But before I switched to my hitch haul I would just keep the deer on my deer cart and swing my cart around so the handle is resting on the tailgate. Then I would use the bottom rack of the deer cart to grab onto and a short lift and push and it glides right in.  The Aluminum cart on a truck bed liner makes for a slick transfer.
As a bonus...when you curl the front legs in like this and rigor sits in it makes for some great photo poses!
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  ridgerunner on Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:21 pm

Sounds to me that you should build a loading dock.  When it comes to loading the quad I have a hill along the driveway that I use as a loading dock, just back up and drive on.  I'm not a fan of those ramps you lean up against the tailgate.  What my buddy did at his cabin is place a couple concrete barriers on a flat area then pile dirt and gravel up against one side.  Sure it's not perfect height for all trucks but you just need to get it close enough to drive on.  Out West at one of the trailheads I've seen where someone dug a hole with a loader and piled the dirt up on one side.  You back into the hole till the tailgate gets close and drive on.  That concept worked but if we had some bad weather it may not be easy to get out of the hole.  Another trailhead had railroad ties stacked with dirt piled against one side.  I'm sure you could figure out some sort of loading dock at your farm to make life a little easier.
ridgerunner
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum