I always said the stuff was a waist of money

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I always said the stuff was a waist of money

Post  Mountainman Vic on Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:34 pm

Not sure how many of you have seen this but it's an interesting read on the use of scent eliminating sprays

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/hunting/2015/10/can-scent-elimination-sprays-beat-the-nose-of-a-drug-sniffing-dog

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Re: I always said the stuff was a waist of money

Post  MEhunter on Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:00 pm

Good stuff Vic, thanks for sharing. I too have never been a firm supporter of either the spray or scent clothing. Although I still do spray down because it feels like the right thing to do Very Happy

MEhunter
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:03 pm

Interesting for sure and the best tactic will always be playing the wind.  I can say with out any doubt I have slacked off over the last number of years on my scent elimination compared to how I use to be and my mature buck sightings have coincidingly dropped dramatically.  Back in the late 90's early 2000's when I was religious was when I was knocking down my biggest most mature bucks to date year in and year out.
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  catfish willy on Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:18 pm

That's pretty interesting Vic. I've never felt like anything was going to beat a whitetails nose and even if it did you're gonna sweat more once you get to the tree and too much scent will come out your mouth anyway. I still shower play the wind and spray down for a little peace of mind and figure worst case scenario it isn't hurting anything. That and maybe one day when I have a deer of a life time slip down wind it could make him pause for just a couple extra seconds for me to get a shot off.
catfish willy
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:33 pm

Interesting , but I would have to call the test a joke. Your testing a dogs nose , one that is trained to sniff out a human. That's going to be extremely hard to do , if not impossible. Just look at drug dogs for example, they are trained to find drugs. Take a baggie full of drugs , wrap in plastic wrap , wrap that in aluminum foil , duct tape the crap out if and drop it inside a sealed gas tank and guess what happens, yes the dog will find it.
When I started using scent shield 20 years or so ago , I was sold on the simple fact that a cotton gun patch was sprayed with skunk pee and the sprayed with the scent shield , no skunk smell after that. Good enough for me. The one thing I do refuse to do is spend  $500 plus on scent killing clothes , you know the one that collect all the scent as soon as they are made , then hang on some stores shelf until its bought.
Not sure how they could actually do a test with these sprays to see if they work on a deer or bears nose , but for a few dollars I'll keep buying it. Not that it matters because I will still have a smoke or some cope or my coffee while in the stand.
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:37 pm

I gave up on that stuff also, I use to use that stuff by the gallon. Now I wash with apple scented soap, it's like $1 at walmart. I smoke my clothes and self before I hunt. I also spend as much time at the farm as possible without any descenting. I have been doing that for a while now so even my oldest buck has gotten a nose full of me on a weekly basis since he was a fawn. I have had people tell me that is the worst thing you can do, but I recently heard an interview where Lee Lakosky said he does the same thing.
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:46 pm

Good point Boss. I have also said for years , that it is almost impossible for a deer to grow up without smelling humans each day in most area's. Even for Vic , he has fishing , camping and tourists up that way all the time. I still say it all depends on what kind of mood a deer is in when it gets downwind. Its either going to be o.k. or heading for the next property.
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:30 am

Boss Gobbler wrote: I also spend as much time at the farm as possible without any descenting. I have been doing that for a while now so even my oldest buck has gotten a nose full of me on a weekly basis since he was a fawn. I have had people tell me that is the worst thing you can do, 
I don't know who told you that but they are way wrong. There is no doubt that deer become accustom to people in there environment. I think Barb has proven that. Deer know the farmer who is in the fields day after day. But I'll say this too. They know you personally Boss. Your deer will react different with anyone else. 

And Rick, I wish scent killer worked as well on Skunk as you say it does. I have traps that I caught a skunk in and two years later after trying everything, I can still pick them out. And that's nothing like a deer's nose.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  chukbuk on Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:58 am

Always felt spray is the simplest thing you can do to increase your odds!  It's easy to apply, you can do it at the stand and my lifelong experience has been that it does work  With all our gear and unavoidable body odors, it's impossible to be totally scent free but the intensity of our odors can be lessened just enough to fool or at least not alarm a deer.
      Thanks Vic!
chukbuk
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:22 pm

Vic I truly don't even know if its made anymore !! It was scent shield clothes and boot spray. I think the one bowshop got it in somewhere around 1986 or 87. As with a lot of other things , the big companies have taken over shelf space , like rage or anything wildgame innovations makes Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad !!!
I also like what you say about landowners or farmers. The one farm I used to hunt was a perfect example. The owner could drive thru the field , with deer in it and they wouldn't even give him a 2nd look. But as soon as another vehicle came in the field they were gone !!!
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum