2015 Buck..

View previous topic View next topic Go down

2015 Buck..

Post  Boss Gobbler on Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:19 pm

I will try to keep this from getting to long, but I have a ton of history with this buck. I have some history with most of the bucks I take. Some bucks may show every couple months or once or twice a year. Then there are those that you get pictures of almost daily for a few years. I have had a couple of those, but always seemed to let them go one to many times only to have them die or disappear. I have never killed a buck that I had more history with. I have thousands of trail cam pictures, I have passed him the last three years, and I have his sheds from two years ago. I will be honest at the beginning of the year I wanted to get this deer for my son, but I was going to chase a goal set so high it was likely unattainable. After hunting really hard and double hard the last two weeks, I had to have a talk with myself. I was burnt out and wasnt seeing any bucks over 3. It was becoming stressful and unenjoyable. Eventhough I have been extremely blessed, I had to remind myself that my farm isnt large enough to hold very many 4+ year olds and some of them had probably dispersed. So last night after hunting my best spot and not seeing a single deer I decided If any of my top five showed up I would take them. I even said a little prayer and asked whichever deer I was meant to shoot let him show up. I hit the woods this morning and on my walk in at 5:18 I hear the first gunshot of the day about an hour and 45 minutes before light. I checked the weather it said 0% chance of rain, an hour later it was pouring. The first two hours of daylight I saw nothing. I dont know if the rut is over, or hasnt happened or what, but I normally see about 5 bucks per sit and I havent seen one in my last three. I hadnt seen a shooter for pushing two weeks and there were many all day sits. Then out of nowhere a buck appears, Its Junior! He wasnt cruising or anything. He was just heading to bed. I am happy because I hadnt even gotten his picture in two weeks. I just assumed he was another one that got away. I fire a shot and he takes off like crazy with no reaction. I start thinking maybe I missed but how. No deer has ever taken a hit from the 300wsm without a reaction. I figure with the pouring rain I should track pretty quick, I find blood. Usually they cant go more than 40 yards hit.  After 100 yards Im worried. Luckily at 150yards I find him. He took a double lung hit like a champ. I dont know how to explain this but if it ever happens to you, you will know what Im talking about. For the first time probably ever I sat down beside him and just spent a few minutes. I had a ton of respect for this 5 1/2 year old buck, then there was sadness, a feeling I never had for any other buck. 5 1/2 years comes to an end and the final chapter with Junior.

2013 at 3 1/2

2014 at 4 1/2

2015 at 5 1/2

Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Re: 2015 Buck..

Post  bow_dad on Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:29 pm

Beautiful deer Boss,  love it when all the history makes it mean even more than normal.
bow_dad
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  kyhunter123 on Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:36 pm

Nice deer! Congrats!.... And I understand what your talking about with the rut situation. It has been awful! Zero chasing. Does are all alone. No daylight movement. Just nothing! I have no idea what's going on. Or went on...
kyhunter123
Booner
Booner

http://ctdoutdoors.wix.com/ctdoutdoors

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:15 am

It  doesn't get any better then that Boss, Wink  Congratulation's

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:52 am

Congrats Boss, Beautiful buck.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  soil on Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:53 am

Congratulations, Boss!  He is a great buck!
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  soil on Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:45 am

I also agree with you on the rut situation. It's like our property is in an alternate dimension right now. I've been hunting after work nearly every day for the past two weeks and haven't seen the action. 10-20 does per sit and I've seen two 2 1/2 yr olds checking does. No chasing. Sunday night I had 20 does I could see from the stand in two different food plots. There was a 2 1/2 yr old and two 3 1/2 yr old bucks with them and I never saw any of them even drop its head and trot toward a doe. They just fed with them like it was January.
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  kyhunter123 on Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:50 am

soil wrote:I also agree with you on the rut situation. It's like our property is in an alternate dimension right now. I've been hunting after work nearly every day for the past two weeks and haven't seen the action. 10-20 does per sit and I've seen two 2 1/2 yr olds checking does. No chasing. Sunday night I had 20 does I could see from the stand in two different food plots. There was a 2 1/2 yr old and two 3 1/2 yr old bucks with them and I never saw any of them even drop its head and trot toward a doe. They just fed with them like it was January.
I'm glad I'm not the only one! But I cant even see a 2 1/2 yr old!... I told myself this year I wanted hold out for the rut. And when I actually make it to november, I think I could have a better chance at a big deer in September!
kyhunter123
Booner
Booner

http://ctdoutdoors.wix.com/ctdoutdoors

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:55 pm

Why would you need help with that little critter ?? He just lost at least 40 pounds of guts Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy !!! Nice buck my friend and I really wish I was there to show you the grab and toss method !! Congrats on him and yes I find it hard to believe or imagine any deer going that far after being hit with a 300 WSM , all of mine have taken only one direction , right down to the ground !! But every once in awhile we come across one that just makes you step back and think a little on how they did what they just did !! Congrats again !!!
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:40 pm

That's a beautiful buck Boss!  That one looks like it was the old grunt and heave into the truck!
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  VABuckSlayer on Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:03 am

Great buck Boss! Congratulations!
VABuckSlayer
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  MEhunter on Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:00 am

Great deer! Love the history and photos.

MEhunter
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum