My 2015 Kentucky buck

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My 2015 Kentucky buck

Post  Mountainman Vic on Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:25 pm

What a day, what a hunt. This season has seemed to have the dumbest stuff happening to me and I just haven’t been able to get a big buck in range unless it was with a flashlight. Well today turned into one of the craziest hunts of my life. After having a deer sneak in on me and winding me before I even knew it was there. I was feeling pretty down. So I decided I was going to sit until 11 and then make a move since they were calling for the wind to shift from southwest to west and west don’t work the best at this stand.
Around 10:30 I look down over the ridge and think I see what looks like a deer standing in the shadows. Then it moved. Then I saw head gear. Now the game begins. So I watch this buck and he just stands there pacing back and forth from time to time feeding on an acorn. He is straight east of me and the wind is out of the southwest to wsw. So I knew if I hit the grunt call he was going to take a few steps to my left and the game would be over. But what about the can???? I thought maybe if I hit the can he’d come straight in. So I grab the can and guess what…. It don’t work. Ugh! I shook it and shook it some more. Finally I got it to go. But he’s not hearing it. The breeze was pretty stiff. So I wait. Now he starts to walk to the south and I lose him behind the cedars. I’m looking for him to step out anytime but no. So I try to find my grunt call. I can’t. I’m in my tree saddle and smashed up against my back pack so all I find is my snort wheeze. So I go for it. Nothing…. After a few minutes I see movement in the cedars and look through the Bino’s. It’s him. He’s standing there just looking. Finally he walks back to where I first saw him. (This buck is wearing me out) So I can call again. He looks and starts for the north and I start the hunter’s prayer. Please God, Don’t let him wind me.  Don’t let him wind me.  Don’t let him wind me.  Please??? Well he goes behind a cedar tree and I’m waiting for him to come out the other side. It’s not happening. Did he walk straight away? I waited a few minutes and text Holly and buddy Jim to tell them what I’m dealing with. So I move to the other side of the tree and look at the cedar with the binos. There he is…. Bedded down looking straight away from me. So I start trying to figure out how to handle this. If I wait him out, he will likely walk into the wind and give me a shot at less than thirty yards. But he’s due east of me and the wind is to shift from the west. If that happens, this game is over. There’s a stiff breeze and I have three large oak trees that are all in a line just a few yards to the north of me. So I’m thinking to myself. Can I pull this off???? I figure it was the plan to go with. So I lower my bow leaving my pack in the tree taking only my bions and range finder. I slowly slip out of the tree keeping an eye on the buck as I climb down. When I get to the ground I can’t see the deer as he is over the ridge. Another plus. I take off my heavy cloths and boot. Now I’m a well camoed hunter is flashy white socks. I get down and craw on my hands and knees to get in line with the three trees. I stop and raise to my knees to check on the buck. There he is. I pull the binos down. Where’d he go? I start looking and then I see his he turn. CRAP! I freeze. After a minute, he gave up and looked back down the hill. I went back to my craw and got the trees between me and the buck. I stood up and started to stalk to the second tree. When I got there I tried to range him three times. It read 24 once, 34 once, and 42 once. I’ve got the shakes. Dang it. So I settled down and range him at 42 yards and there’s a little twig in the way. I tell myself this isn’t going to work. So I decide to make my way to the third tree. Now I full blown into a Sneak’n Moheek’n.  get to the third tree and have to lay the bow down to use both hands on the range finder. And man I could use a drink, I didn’t know stalking deer could make you so thirsty. Okay, he’s at 33 yards. I said a quick prayer for the Lord to help this arrow fly true and drew the bow. I slowly step out and settle the pin and just as I do he turns his head… Too late! Wack! I hit spine and the buck thrashed a bit but I was quickly able to get a second shot in him and dispatch him. I didn’t take into account the two yards for the steep grade plus not thinking about the spine being located lower while in a bedded position. My emotions were running all over the place. What a hunt! Did that really just happen?

Oh yeah and did I mention that I killed this with the bow during gun season! Very Happy

This picture shows where I pulled this off. Except that I numbered the trees wrong. I shot from tree numbered two in this pic.

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Re: My 2015 Kentucky buck

Post  soil on Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:50 pm

Wow! He's awesome, Vic!  I don't have time to read so I'll catch up on that from the blind in the morning. Congratulations!!!
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:04 pm

That's a hell of a deer bud. Public land during gun season to boot.cheers
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  soil on Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:44 am

You need hero pics with the white socks showing!  Great job with the sneak.
soil
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:01 am

That is so completely awesome bud!!! What a great story too!  Dang I'm so glad you got him!!! Taking advantage of that was the very reason why I pulled the trigger on that place.  He looks great!!
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  catfish willy on Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:24 pm

Awesome buck Vic! Even nicer coming during gun season with a bow
catfish willy
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  VABuckSlayer on Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:31 am

What an awesome hunt and a great buck Vic! Congrats man! Well done!
VABuckSlayer
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  MEhunter on Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:59 am

great deer and story Vic! Congrats

MEhunter
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  chukbuk on Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:47 am

Great buck, great story "Sneakin-Mohican"!  Except I think they would have had moccasins on!  I thought differently when you said "man I need a drink"!!!  Congrats Vic!
chukbuk
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  ElkHunter65x on Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:18 pm

Wow, thanks a nice buck! Nothing gives me that itch to get out into the woods like seeing someones hunting pictures, thanks for sharing  Very Happy
ElkHunter65x
Fawn
Fawn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum