A buck with no name

Go down

A buck with no name

Post  Boss Gobbler on Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:58 am

Some of you have know about this deer for and while now, but I guess I have sit on it long enough. I was greeted at 5am with a blaring alarm, a sore throat and an ear ache. I remember my wife who is never up that early saying "Your sick maybe you should just stay home" Stubborn as always I replied " I'm going to be sick it makes no difference whether I am sitting here or out there". The morning was slow with only a button buck sighted. The normal parade of off limits bucks I had grown use to seeing were noticeably absent today. My mind started drifting, What I wouldnt give to have a buck from my past magically appear. You know the bucks, the ones that are destined to be giants that fall off the face of the earth. Is it possible somewhere amongst the cedar thickets, one of these monarchs have gone undetected from my relentless scouting and trail cams. I was awaken from my daydreaming by a hooting owl. I thought it was strange to hear an owl hooting at 9 am, then one became two and two became four. The four hooting owls converged in the cedar choked creek bottom 100 yards to my right. Something had defiantly upset them, a barrage of hooting insued. I remember thinking that the Indians considered the owl a messenger of death, and that maybe there was a giant buck heading my way and they had come to call his number. The hooting ended abruptly with dead silence. Only a minute had passed and I leaned back and shut my eyes. No sooner had my eyes closed and a deer started blowing from the same direction of the owls. I immediately checked the wind, it was good, so what going on? I hear the blowing deer take a few bounds in the leaves and then the unmistakable deep grunting. I scanned the hillside of cedar and oaks but couldnt pick the two deer out of the background. I continued to hear grunting and slow moving steps in the leaves. Where the heck are they! I then see a flick of a white tail and see a large buck breeding a doe. Faster than my brain could register they were gone again. I could hear a few steps here and there but had a tough time picking them out. It seemed like forever when a dark steer like animal stepped out. I wasted no time, I found a hole to squeeze a bullet through a quick check confirmed a large left antler. I touched off the trigger and sent a 180 grain bullet on its 200 yards journey. The recoil temporarily fogged my brain and didnt see where the bullet struck. I can see a hind hoof kicking and hear a final death growl. Taking no chances my brain starts working in hyper drive. I have only lost two deer in my life, both were big bucks, both were shot with a rifle, both had dropped in their tracks and both had made it off the property. Every deer I have ever shot here has tried to take the same trail on their death run. I immediately grab some of my gear and do a 700 yard dash to get to were this trail leaves the property. I arrive and there is no deer, so the question is, did he die where he fell or beat me here. I head for the spot of the shot, it is amazing how a farm you know like the back of your hand can change and how the woods can swallow up a 300 pound deer. I search expecting to see a huge white belly but see nothing. The smell of a rutting buck is in the air. All of a sudden I see a part of a beam then some points and a head. As I approach my mind is on overload again, look at that rack, look at the size of his body! do I know him? Then i remember the last thing I want to do is go for a ride though the woods on a bulldozer that has pitch forks on its head. I approach slowly and touch the rifle barrel to his eye, Its over! I got him! I grab the massive beam and it revels an equal massive side from buried in the grass. I sit down beside the buck that I have prayed for so many cold boring mornings and count the points, 18! I cant put it together on who he is but, I had seen this buck the year before one time, and now here he is. He had lived 6 or 7 years avoiding the crazy amount of pressure from outside the boundaries of the property and at least part of that time he avoid detection from me.

Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Re: A buck with no name

Post  BuckRubIL on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:40 am

That's what we all dream about right there. cheers

I remember your horror stories from loosing some of your previous deer so I can imagine you made it those 700 yards pretty quick Smile I'm glad it all worked out for ya and he's a BEAST both antlers and body. Great story and thanks for sharing Boss!
BuckRubIL
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  G3 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:30 pm

Congratulations dude, that is on hell of a dandy buck!
G3
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  30pointbuck on Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:08 pm

Awesome read, and a hell of a dandy Buck,

B&B Archery Pro Staff
Bucknasty Custom Bow Strings Pro Staff
808 Bow Slings Field Staff

Mathews Switchback XT 67#@29"
Carbon Impact Hunter XLT-6000
SPOTT-HOGG HUNTER HOGG IT 5 .019
SCHAFFER DROP AWAY RESTS
30pointbuck
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:00 pm

Jeff, you already know , how happy I am for you,
Congratulations again, That is truley one "magnificent "buck!!!

Loved reading your story, about this hunt cheers

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  booner40 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:02 pm

Congrats man! That is a dandy!
booner40
Pope & Young
Pope & Young

Back to top Go down

Post  BBinPA on Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:49 pm

Great read and what a massive buck, Congrats!
BBinPA
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  buckeyehunter on Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:25 pm

Congrats on an awesome buck, and great read also!!!!!

Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Maniac Outdoors on Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:29 pm

What a Great story to a once in a lifetime buck, A HUGE CONGRATS to you cheers
Maniac Outdoors
Admin
Admin

http://usahuntingpros.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:42 am

Congrats Boss on a sweet buck. He's a stud.
Mountainman Vic
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  BlueID_LDS on Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:36 am

Great story Boss! Really enjoyed reading it and CONGRATS on that monster of a buck! Where did you take him? cheers
BlueID_LDS
Booner
Booner

Back to top Go down

Post  bow_dad on Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:29 am

What an awesome read that was. Congrats on a GREAT buck Boss, now there's something to be thankful for!
bow_dad
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Boss Gobbler on Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:57 am

BlueID_LadyDeerSlayer wrote:Great story Boss! Really enjoyed reading it and CONGRATS on that monster of a buck! Where did you take him? cheers

I took him off my place. I bought it in 1998. It had seen limited hunting pressure. I had met some of the members here around that time. I used a lot of ideas and management strategies from people like Barb and Willy. I have since meet a lot of people passionate about deer management and have learned a lot from everyone here. I was fortunate to take a net boone the second year I had the farm. That seem to come at a price, word spread and hunting pressure increased dramatically. My little unknown area got a lot of attention. I was lucky and continued to have good success from what I had learn from this great group of people. In the last couple years the increased pressure started taking its toll and I was very discourage with what the farm was producing. For the first 10 years we tried to take noting under 150 and had great success. The last several year I didnt even have a 150 staying on the farm. I really started losing interest and wondered if all the work was worth it. Then when you least expect it a 190" ghost shows up and I feel revived to say the least. I have been very very lucky, I have a small farm but I learned from people here how to hunt it right. I set my mind to grow big bucks and it has been a roller coaster for sure. Thats why we love it though right.
Boss Gobbler
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  live2hunt on Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:10 pm

Nice read and congrats, but for some reason I can't see the picture?
live2hunt
Pope & Young
Pope & Young

Back to top Go down

Post  shedder on Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:21 am

Congrats on a giant!!!
shedder
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCReW on Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:40 am

Congrats on a hogg! Love that picket fence row of tines, I bet he looked huge walking by.

TheCReW
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  impactarcher on Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:38 pm

That's right there is a sweet buck, congrats Boss!!

impactarcher
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  OH Arrow Flinger on Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:48 am

What a bruiser!!! Congrats on one heck of a buck!
OH Arrow Flinger
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

http://www.tidecoys.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum