2012 Gun Buck - My obsession is now in my possession

View previous topic View next topic Go down

2012 Gun Buck - My obsession is now in my possession

Post  wihunter24 on Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:12 pm

This will be long and rambling but here it goes.....

It's amazing how someone can go from the low point of thier season to the top of the mountain in under 30 seconds. The story of this buck is a couple years in the making. In September 2010 I was able to sneak out of work early enough to have a couple hours to hit the woods. After speeding home, I got settled into a secluded oak covered hillside that was literally raining down acorns. It was a warm night but it was a never ending parade of does and fawns and a lot of young bucks. One buck showed up about 40 minutes before dark and really caught my eye. He was sporting a modest 7pt rack- or at least trying to. His right side was still covered in dark brown dried velvet and was dangling off the side of his head by a thread of skin and every time he took a step it knocked him in the side of the head like a massively oversized earing. lol! The best explanation I could come up with was he was trying strip the velvet off his rack, picked the wrong tree and somehow managed to break his skull plate. scratch I saw him a couple other times that fall and winter and that dangling antler just would not fall off.

Going into the summer of 2011, all of the cropland on my parent's land was planted in corn which made summer scouting a little more difficult. Among the couple nice bucks I was able to locate before the corn got over waist high, was a goofy looking buck who looked like he only had 1 antler. I finally got a good look at him one morning in late June and realized it was the same buck from 2010. This time he had a decent looking 5pt left side, but his right side was kind of a tear drop like club that was about 4-5" long and grew downward between his eye and ear. Once he shed his velvet, he moved to the other end of my parent's farm and I got trail cam pics of him on a pretty regular basis. In early November, after I was already tagged out, he came walking right under me and I was able to get the following clip with my digital camera.
- if you look closely you can see the little tear drop / club on the side of his head.....
He made it through gun season and I was able to keep tabs on him through late bow season and into February until he shed his antlers- which I never found.

This brings us to 2012. I spent the spring months fixing and re-grading a couple ponds so that they'd actually hold water after years of silt had filled them in, and planting foodplots. Knowing that all my parent's cropland was going to be in soybeans, I was very excited about the summer months and doing some velvet scouting. I've never had a velvet season like I did this past summer. It seemed like every other day some good looking new buck would show up and it was only mid June. I first laid eyes on this buck on June 20th as he mowed down some soybeans with several other nice bucks. At that time I could tell he had something wierd going on with his rack, but couldn't tell exactly what. A week and a half later I finally got a decent trail cam pic of him and he instantly became #1 on my list going into the fall hunting season.

As the summer moved along, I saw him regularly- like 4-5 nights a week and always within the same 1 hour window. At the same time we were ridiculously busy at work and I picked up a side job on weekends building retaining walls around home with a friend. Add to that, the fact that my dad was out of state working until mid September and I pretty much had another full time job just taking care of the home place. There were no signs of anything slowing down and I was beginning to wonder if I'd even have a chance to hunt much this fall. Somehow I managed to get 2 foodplots replanted after a hail storm destroyed them, all my treestands hung, and everything taken care of on my parent's land by mid August- I have no idea how I found the time to do it all. Bow season inched closer and closer and this buck continued to be a regular in the bean fields, at the ponds and on my cameras. By this time I had a hitlist about 9 bucks deep but he remained in the #1 spot.

On a warm September 30th, I was in a crooked willow tree that was right next to one of the ponds I'd fixed in the spring and was surrounded by soybeans everywhere else. I'd gotten pics of this and several other good bucks at this spot all summer and confidence was through the roof. About an hour before dark I heard a deer in the beans behind me. Turning around, I saw a nice tall 10pt. He was one of the deer I was after and I definetly wasn't going to pass him up while holding out for #1 on the list. I may be hard headed, but I'm not stupid lol! The 10pt stayed out of range and slowly began to cirlce around me. Just as it was getting dark he started walking to the pond on a steady pace. I stood up, got in position and waited. I could hear footsteps in the grass but couldn't see the 10pt due to branches and leaves. The next thing I know, #1 on my list pops out of nowhere and proceeds to walk right to the water without a care in the world. It couldn't be any more perfect- wind in my favor, him stopped at 21 yards broadside with his head down in the water and a hole the size of a Buick to shoot through. And you guessed it- I shot right over him, grazing a couple hairs off his back Cussing Cussing I don't know if it was just too easy or what.

Bow season progressed and due to work I was hardly able to get out hunting at all- once a week if I was lucky. At the same time, once again this buck relocated to the other end of my parent's farm. I saw him 6 more times during bow season and had him in range twice- a doe busted me turning and drawing my bow the first time in late October, and then about a week later, I had him range again but he didn't present a shot. In addition to the encounters, I got trail cam pics of him weekly- it was like he was just trying to torment me.

The 9 day gun season started on November 17th and to say it was the toughest gun season I've ever had is an understatement. It was either 60 degrees or the wind was blowing 40mph or both. Several of my target bucks got shot on neighboring properties and all I was seeing were small does and yearling bucks. It was like I was hunting in a ghost town. However, on the 2nd day, I saw this buck and had him at 50 yards. Of course I had a bunch of cedar trees and brush in the way and it was either shoot him in the head or the butt, so I let him walk. The crappy weather and deer movement continued on until the 2nd to last day of gun season. I woke up to a nice cold front and 10 degrees with light winds. Although the weather changed, the deer movement sure didn't and all I saw were small deer and very few of them for the next 2 days.

Going into the last couple hours of the season, I was actually more focused on hunting the muzzleloader season that opened the very next day than rifle season even though it was sitll going. I was burned out more mentally than physically. Anyway, I got settled into a spot overlooking a large bean field near a nice block of woods that we don't hunt much due to swirling winds. It's one of those spots that if you sit it several nights in a row during gun season, eventually a good buck or two will walk out and present a shot. I had deer out in the field at 3:30 and then the floodgates opened. It was a never ending parade of does, fawns and small bucks. I looked at my watch and had 5 minutes of legal shooting time left- my gun season was slipping away and I'd only seen one buck that wasn't basket racked and although he was #1 on my list, he wasn't exactly wide. I remember thinking that I've hunted all day for 9 days straight and I can't even see a decent buck let alone actually get a shot at one. I checked my watch again- 1 minute to go and all I had in front of me were deer I didn't want to shoot. Evil or Very Mad I was just about to start packing up my things when I took one last look and noticed a deer that wasn't there a split second before. I looked through my binoculars and about had a heart attack- here was my #1 buck, the one I'd watched grow up for the last couple years, missed in September and had several other encounters with throughout the 2012 bow season. I grabbed my gun, slid the safety off and waited for him to turn. He was walking straight away from me at about 120 yards when all of a sudden it was as if everything was meant to be. He turned slightly and took a step and a half and was now stopped broadside / very slightly quartering away. I wasted no time in settling the crosshairs on his shoulder, squeezing the trigger and watching him take 2 steps and drop. In that split second all my time and work were rewarded and for once, a dream came true. cheers cheers cheers Dance Dance Dance M&M M&M I checked my watch again- 34 seconds to spare. cheers I'm usually pretty calm, collected and easy going but I was going nuts and pretty much jumping around like a little high school girl on prom night. There were high fives with nobody but the air. lol! I took a minute to calm down a little and went to claim trophy and was soon joined by my dad and best friend.

He's probably "only a 3 yr old", but I don't care. Sometimes I think we get to wrapped up in a deer's age or antler size and forget about what's really important when it comes to hunting- having a good time with friends and family and enjoying the outdoors whether you get a deer or not. He won't score great and I really don't care, but he's without a doubt, the coolest looking deer I've ever taken. I couldn't be happier and still can't believe it all came together at the very last possible minute. He ended up having 13pts and a 12 1/4" spread.

My favorite picture- one mentally exhausted but very happy hunter admiring his trophy

Just once I want to take pics and not have to look into a stiff north wind when its 10 degrees out....

Last edited by wihunter24 on Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
wihunter24
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Re: 2012 Gun Buck - My obsession is now in my possession

Post  Mex. Bowhunter on Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:20 pm

Great Write up Brother. Congrats on a heck of a Trophy. Thanks for sharing
Mex. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  30pointbuck on Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:23 pm

Great read, awesome awesome buck congrats.

B&B Archery Pro Staff
Bucknasty Custom Bow Strings Pro Staff
808 Bow Slings Field Staff

Mathews Switchback XT 67#@29"
Carbon Impact Hunter XLT-6000
SPOTT-HOGG HUNTER HOGG IT 5 .019
SCHAFFER DROP AWAY RESTS
30pointbuck
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  G3 on Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:33 pm

Very nice dude! That was the one story I was waiting to hear all fall. I knew you were onto him...usually your over and done with long before this point. Great job man!
G3
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Maniac Outdoors on Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:45 pm

As soon as you texted me the other day saying I just shot my target buck, My reply was it has to be the non-typical. Congrats on a Great buck and a Awesome write up cheers
Maniac Outdoors
Admin
Admin

http://usahuntingpros.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bowGal on Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:47 pm

This journey just prove's, Never give up,
Happy as heck for you Zack
Excellent read and photo's!!

Nikon
Hoyt Element
I love my whitetails and big ole ugly Jellyhead's
bowGal
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  AlexHastings on Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:48 pm

Awesome story and great buck, congrats zack!!
AlexHastings
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  VABuckSlayer on Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:09 am

Man that's a really cool looking buck! Congratulations on putting your tag on him!
VABuckSlayer
Hole In Horn
Hole In Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  OH Arrow Flinger on Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:46 am

Zack I could not be happier for you brother that is one heck of a buck and an awesome story. You du man!!!!
OH Arrow Flinger
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

http://www.tidecoys.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TheRomer on Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:49 am

Very Nice Buck, Congrats he is deff unique
TheRomer
St. Louis
St. Louis

http://Outbackoutdoorproducts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa. Bowhunter on Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:05 pm

Awesome buck !!!! Your last main paragraph sums it all up. Score and age don't mean squat if you take the buck you want or are happy with whatever you take !!! When we hear of all the crap about age and score its sad, whatever happened to having FUN and enjoying the outdoors ??? Nice read and again, congrats on a very nice buck !!!!
Pa. Bowhunter
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  impactarcher on Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:32 pm

Way to go Zack, he's cool looking! Great job man!!

impactarcher
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountainman Vic on Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:38 pm

Great read Zac. Way to stick it out and get it done.
Mountainman Vic
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  wihunter24 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:12 pm

G3 wrote:Very nice dude! That was the one story I was waiting to hear all fall. I knew you were onto him...usually your over and done with long before this point. Great job man!

Well I should have had this post up in late September but things worked out just fine in the end. cheers

Thanks for all the kind words everyone- definetly nice when things all come together and work out.
wihunter24
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCReW on Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:15 am

Congrats Zack, that is one amazing looking buck! Awesome pictures and great story. Loved the last paragraph, very well said

TheCReW
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  MEhunter on Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:16 am

Great looking buck! Congrats.

MEhunter
St. Louis
St. Louis

Back to top Go down

Post  Young on Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:07 pm

Awesome man! Loved the write up and what a chapter to close on that Non-Typical stud! Love the sunset pics of him and he will be another dandy to add to the wall! Congrats buddy!
Young
Super Booner!!
Super Booner!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum